Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 1:38 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 23rd Sep 2017 at 1:27 AM. Reason: uploaded
Default TS2 - Community Lot Help [Uploaded - Thank You!]
I hope it's OK to start another topic since this is unrelated to the other one. If not, please do remove it. This is a community lot that I want to upload for the Bi-Monthly theme, but it is obviously not finished. Not nearly, haha. Basically I would love feedback on the item spacing inside the lot. I am NOT comfortable building community lots, so bear with me please. So ignore (or comment) on anything that you think needs better spacing, the colors are possibilities at this stage, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with that "coffee area" to the left. (Honestly, I just made it a coffee area so it wouldn't be blank for pics.) Oh! Right, the lot is supposed to be for adoptions - an Adoption Center. I'm doing it 99% CC free, just using Chris Hatch's adoption cribs.

On to the pics!!!

I'm aware that all of you could do a better job, but I'd like to try since I had an idea.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 2:17 AM
Of course not, feel free to post.

I haven't heard of CH's adoption cribs. Sims adopt from them like they do a pet?

I would rework the bathroom and avoid that narrow unused section. Outside
I think the two fountains are a little large and grand for the lot. You can suggest that people use a Exnem food or a simwardrobe buffet in there if they want food, or add a snack machine.
I would bring the office furniture away from the wall and use some sort of picture on that blank wall.

What does the roof look like?

You might also want to post this on CFF since it's more an upload decorating question.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 3:06 AM
Thanks, Jo. I'll repost it there, unless you have the power to move it for a gal.
Info on CH orphan display cots HERE .

Yeah, I need to figure that odd mess out in the bathroom, haha. That's what I get for not wanting a community lot "box", huh?
Smaller fountains maybe? I suppose I could just do some nice 4 square shrubbery and a statue, maybe...
Good idea on the snack machine! I forget about those sometimes!
Yeah, I'll move the furniture over one and slap some pictures up. It's definitely not decorated, but I do need something on those walls for now. (The lot is definitely a WIP.)

Haha... my roof. Yeah, I don't have one yet. I guess I should stop being a scaredy-cat and tackle that next.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 4:07 AM
Don't forget the Ikea little file cabinet sculpture thingame, you can stack it to look like a filing cabinet I use it all the time.

For the bathroom I would have the stalls at the other end with counter/basins along the other wall parallel with a plant in the corner.

Are you using decorating cheats? Move objects and snap off and quarter tile are a big help. Allows you to snugly move a plant right into the corner.

No, I don't have privies on this board, so I can't move it. JustJones does if you want me to ask but I think a post here and on CFF would be okay.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 5:40 AM
I would like to think that Mentoring4Builders and CFF complement each other, and since building and decorating go hand-in-hand, I think a thread here or there works either way.

I agree with Jo about the fountains- they seem too grand for the lot.
I think you may want to go with a couple of individual, one person rest rooms.
In TS3, community lots route better when they are not too cluttered, and I think TS2 is the same.
Love the filing cabinet idea and the snack machines.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 6:21 PM
OK, I'll try some of the comments you guys have today and see what comes of it. I definitely aim to have playable, simple lots that don't cause route issues or have too many items for lag. I don't need a whole bunch here, as the offices are mainly for show, and the main event will be the adoption cribs. Sims won't be spending a TON of time here otherwise. Oh! I do use moveobjects and quarter, but not the grid one(s) currently, but I can totally get a cute plant in that corner. Alright, off to the races! Thank you!

(I'll just leave it here so *maybe* no one builds one before mine is done! CFF is definitely seen more. )
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 10:55 PM
So long as your lot isn't huge it shouldn't lag. Even stuffed with items.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 1:16 AM
Alright guys, I have some new pics. I'll just attach them so I don't have a whole page loading of my huge pics. Feedback appreciated!
(Side note! I was thinking of adding some windows to the "nanny corner" (with the puffy recliner/rug area) to make it more cheery.)
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 5:48 AM
Hi Golden
I hope it's not too late for feedback. i like what you did with the front- the flower beds and heart sculptures are just right. I like the colors and the floor medallion in the reception area.
I might have chosen a sofa that was more plush and homey, since the parents-to-be are probably nervous and uncomfortable and it might be nice to help them relax.
Finally, both desks in the office have exactly the same clutter. While they would likely have the same desks and computer, purchased by the agency, the occupants of the offices would probably have different stuff on their desks. Maybe both have pencil holders and file holders, maybe one has photos, or one has a coffee cup or a book. I think those little details make a lot come to life.
It does look great, and I'm looking forward to the final version!

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 6:28 AM
No, not at all late! I'll be working on it tomorrow, and hopefully after another round of peer review, it will be ready! Yay, very excited here.

Thank you for the compliments on what you did like and the great suggestions on what could be improved. I wasn't sure on the benches myself, but will certainly try and replace them with something a bit more... inviting. The desk clutter is actually not the exact same one! If you look closely, they are slightly different, but yes - I totally get what you mean and can probably use some cheats to add a few things, so long as they don't count as CC. I sure hope some extracted clutter would be OK.

My main goal for tomorrow is to move the phone booth, add a fence (so no one is spying on the babies from the back, LOL) and do some landscaping around the sides of the building to be a bit more... pretty? I'll be sure and post some pictures.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:05 AM
OK guys, thank you all for the help so far. VERY appreciated! I *think* this should be the last round of pics (or at least I HOPE)...

1. Front view. Phone moved to the sides ("booth added"), garbage bins moved to side of the bench and streetlamps added.
2. Lobby area. Better seating (benches removed) and small coffee table deco.
3, 3a, and 3b. Just to show close-ups of the side landscaping and the moved phone booth.
4. Nanny area - windows added and quilt.
5. Window clings added to outside of nursery/adoption section.
6. Hard to see, but the fountain is lined up with the window. Calming effect of water for the babies?
7 - 11. Landscaping/fence pics of the back. I did simple daisies, a few trees and some shrubs. I will swap out the dolphins for some shrubby lupin, so they don't count as CC.

Please do let me know if you see anything odd! Thank you again. :lovestruc
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 4:29 AM Last edited by SimmyRN : 8th Sep 2017 at 1:41 AM. Reason: correction
Very appealing! The layout looks quite realistic and the decor is very "family friendly". I can really imagine sims going here to adopt a baby. Great work!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 1:55 AM
Love it !

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 2:14 AM
Thanks SimmyRN and attuned. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks everyone who chimed in or clicked any of the buttons. :lovestruc