Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 1:01 AM
Default TS3- Performing Arts Studio Remix
I am considering a remodel of the Skylight Studio for the Performing Arts- a TS3 store venue. It would fit the monthly theme "Performing Arts". I would like to make it base game, cc free. According to the Upload Guidelines, a Maxis remake needs to have substantial changes. The original has a pool (why?) and is zoned a gym. It is more workout place than performance space, so I think that is the angle I will take for my remake. There is a stage area, which I may expand into a full blown auditorium. There can be smaller, practice rooms, for instruments. I think maybe a small bar/ refreshment area?

I've attached pictures of the original lot, then the lot with the venue window/roof pieces removed. Since this is to be base game, they will not be included. Any suggestions for the roof?

I've also attached pictures of each floor from the original lot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 10:05 AM Last edited by Vincent T. : 12th Jun 2017 at 6:57 PM.
Why do you want to restrict this to basegame only? There is no lot type for performing arts, Late Night would allow you some lot types for muscial arts. Showtime would allow lot types for other artistic activities. You could add a showtime stage for example.

As for the roofs, I probably wouldn't add roofs but leave the flat floor. Maybe add a border fence. You could add stairs/lift to one of the roofs and make an accessible roof garden. I would probably remove that small half roof.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 2:13 PM
If you use Showtime it has this simplistic modern fence I've used a lot, and several stagetypes. You can also make it an opera kind of venue, or if you want more small areas you can do that.

There is 2 features I would suggest you make more out of. The top tower can be redone with several windows overlapping somehow. The building on the left on your redo needs some lift. You can do that with the fence I mentioned earlier. Just use it on the flat roof.

EA just made that lot to show off the roof pieces. Most of them just look silly om there.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Why do you want to restrict this to basegame only? There is no lot type for performing arts, Late Night would allow you some lot types for muscial arts. Showtime would allow lot types for other artistic activities. You could add a showtime stage for example.

As for the roofs, I probably wouldn't add roofs but leave the flat floor. Maybe add a border fence. You could add stairs/lift to one of the roofs and make an accessible roof garden. I would probably remove that small half roof.

I try to make all of my downloads base game, if at all possible. Obviously, an elixir shop or coffee hut need those EPs, but if not absolutely required, I go for base game. Using EPs and SPs and cc and store items give so much more variety, and I love them in my game. For upload, I want the lots to be available to anyone who wants them, regardless of which EPs/ SPs they own. The good thing about a Maxis Remake is that everything that didn't come with the venue is already base game.

I was planning on adding a stage "spot" with the same dimensions as the Showtime stage. This way, it is any easy swap for anyone with Showtime. I LOVE the idea of a rooftop garden (great fundraising space, which performing arts centers always seem to need). I may just gut the entire inside, or at least the first 2 of the 4 levels. Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
If you use Showtime it has this simplistic modern fence I've used a lot, and several stagetypes. You can also make it an opera kind of venue, or if you want more small areas you can do that.

There is 2 features I would suggest you make more out of. The top tower can be redone with several windows overlapping somehow. The building on the left on your redo needs some lift. You can do that with the fence I mentioned earlier. Just use it on the flat roof.

EA just made that lot to show off the roof pieces. Most of them just look silly om there.

I totally agree that most of the roof pieces look ridiculous. They also aren't very easy or practical to use on any other builds.

I will look at the modern fence from Showtime. Maybe I can find a base game replacement for it that will work.

What do you suggest for the top tower?

I may remove the part on the left with the pool. I don't see how a pool fits with an arts center (underwater ballet?), though I guess that could be where the rehearsal space is, since it is separate from the auditorium part. Thank you!

Please check later in the week for an update.

New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#5 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 8:53 AM
That square room where the pool was is square and that's always an advantage. It can be used for lots of things, but without it the house easily ends up a boring square box.

The tower you can just make with a simple window and moveobjects on. Just make a square outside wall with windows and then you just put up windows inside it in diagonale back and forth to overlap. That way you should get something similar seen from outside.
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 8:25 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 15th Jun 2017 at 4:39 PM.
Looks good so far! I'd suggest reinstating the glass oriel window you removed from the end wall of what looks like your dance studio(?), but maybe try having it two/one tile deep rather than three if you feel it sticks out too much?
If you're going to get rid of the pool, then I'd also ditch the hot tub too. Then maybe the pool area could become a cafe/refectory area?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 6:11 PM
Finally back with an update. I made a small theater on the left side of the building with a balcony and a private box.
The lot is base game, but a showtime stage will fit perfectly over the current stage so it can be a ST venue.
There is a box office space in the lobby. The second floor and basement have restrooms.
On the side of the building are small rehearsal rooms, and they join with the backstage/ dressing room area.
The third floor has an office, a workout room, and an empty room that has no purpose yet.
The fourth floor has a reception area and roof top garden

The building has a glass tower in the center and a cement tower on the right, which is probably one tower too many, and maybe too high.
I don't know if the very large fountain on the right is okay.
The lobby has a staircase that is 3 wide, and it should perhaps be 2.
I am not sure what to do with the extra room on the third floor.

I would love feedback on color and textures and whether the modern theme is consistent.

THANKS!

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 8:25 PM
It looks great, you did a really good job of the stage too! I think the fountain looks good too, although if it's possible to CAS it then I'd make the stonework a bit darker to match the flooring around it. The thing that really strikes me as off is the shrubs on the roof, I think it would look better if you replaced them with some of the large potted plants or you could fiddle about and create some raised beds/plants for them? I'd also be tempted to swap the blue of the cladding for a a grey tone, and also add the overhanging roof back around the top of the concrete tower.
But other than that, it's a vast improvement to what it was originally.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 5:57 AM
Thanks for the help, Fergus. I used CASt on the fountain and exchanged the blue cladding for grey. I went back and forth with that decision originally, leaning towards the grey myself, but hearing Volvenom in my head telling me to use more "modern" colors. I like it better grey. I hesitated with the roof overhang on the tower, but I added it back and you were right. You have a great eye. The roof garden looked off to me, too. I am still reworking that. Thanks again!
Screenshots

New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 10:27 PM
I like your version of the lot much better than EA's! You did a great job. That stage is wonderful, I can see some awesome plays performed there

As for any improvements - I wonder if that two-story part (where the pool was) would do more for the building and those different shapes if the triangle form of the roof would be repeated on ground floor, like this:

Don't know what is in there though - is this where the stage is? But for rehearsal space it would be great, you can even add a tree or something into that open space, or a two-story statue (if it fits). Or maybe even open it up entirely:

(Sorry for half-finished crappy build mode pictures, just a quick draft...)

Your floorplan sounds good so far, maybe you could add overview screenshots of each floor?

I'm no expert on architecture nor on style or design. So, just ideas!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 5:17 AM
Thanks Vincent T. I love that idea. That part of the building has rehearsal space, but I have been thinking about reworking it. I think I can incorporate your suggestion and make that section blend better with the rest of the building. I will get some overheads for next time.

New at Simszoo