Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:51 AM
Default Some more technical(?) questions
1. Is it unsafe to download, install, and place in a neighborhood a lot which was packaged with Sims? If I were to remove the family with the clean installer, would the lot cause problems anyway?

2. What is the least bug-free way to "get back" a Sim that got stuck performing an idle action, or that got stuck in a weird place? (especially a "dangerous" NPC)

3. Does anyone know from experience if the more subhoods one adds to a neighborhood the slower the game will run? (i.e. is the impact on the game really the same if I make 10 different university subhoods (and play them) than having just 1?)

4. What is in your experience the safest way to kill a Sim?

5. I have read conflicting accounts with regards to bulldozing houses that were previously inhabited. If there isn't anything like graveyards in the lot, is it okay to get rid of it or should I just leave it alone?

Okay I think this it for now
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:31 AM
1. Yes. Removing the family wouldn't get rid of the references. You can clean them out with SimPE.

2. Either use moveobjects to delete them (if they're part of the family, reload and they'll appear by the mailbox again) or turn on testingcheatsenabled, shift+click, force error, and reset.

3. Not sure.

4. I usually use the Sim Manipulator or InSim to kill them.

5. As long as there's no gravestones or off-world loiterers, you'll be okay.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:37 AM
As far as I know, there's no dangerous way to kill a sim. From a corruption standpoint, all modes of death are equal. The danger lies in deletion, removing the sim's data from the neighborhood, and death safely stores all the sim's data in the tombstone/urn. Another danger lies in the last death in an apartment unit, which will hover in limbo forever and glitch the apartments without anyone to send them to the graveyard. The next tenant can't do it, because a brand-new lot is generated for that unit every time it's rented. Mootilda's Hoodchecker should be able to fix the problem, but better not to let it happen at all.

When I need a sim to die in a certain way, I use Rodney's Death Creator, which is a function of the testingcheats so needs no downloads, and is much faster than putting the sim into dangerous situations and trusting the game to kill him..

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Space Pony
#4 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:11 AM
for nro 3. Yes it does. If you are talking about loadingtime when you start the game/go to your hood. More the hoods in the game when you load, more the time it will take. BUT it would need a lots of hoods, I once tested with 30 shopping districts, all with sims, it did cause a lot longer loading time (not like I would of wanted to play that kind of a hood anyway, was just testing).

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Forum Resident
#5 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Another danger lies in the last death in an apartment unit, which will hover in limbo forever and glitch the apartments without anyone to send them to the graveyard.

Would "Select your cemetary" fix that issue? Never played apartments before, but in my current neighborhood, I'll probably have some last deaths in apartment units.
Inventor
#6 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 9:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what it does. I use several apartments and the game gives me the option to send the grave to the yard where my gravekeeper picks it up. The ghost spawns as normal and nothing was amiss with any of my apartments and I've had the mod for years. The apartment left behind is considered unoccupied and readied for a new tenant.

Nope, do not attempt a haunted apartment via graves in the common area. I've already posted about my misadventures with that one.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 9:32 AM
Each subhood loads when you load up the hood so if you have a lot you'll be waiting for each of them to load separately.

But as for actually playing the game, the number of subhoods doesn't matter, only the total number of sims in the whole neighbourhood (including subhoods), the amount of decor/lots on the subneighbourhood in hood view, and the amount of objects/sims on the current lot in lot view.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:00 PM
1, 2 and 5: I agree with ihatemandatoryregister.

3: Having more sub-hoods slows down the loading of the 'hood. But once you're actually playing a lot, I don't think it makes much difference. I find that what causes play to lag then is how much the graphics system has to render (i.e, how big the lot is, how much stuff and how many Sims are on it, and how much hood deco, etc. is visible). Changing Lot View Options (under Game Options) can help if things get too slow. As simsfreq says, the total number of Sims in the 'hood may also have some effect, as the game has to track your Sims' relationships with them all. But what I find makes the biggest difference is whether my computer is in a good mood or a bad one. When it's in a bad mood, I usually find there's nothing for it but to quit the game and reboot the computer!

4: I never kill Sims. I don't want to go to hell for murder!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 4:25 PM
For the first question, keep in mind that cleaning out the references in SimPE isn't perfect, since there's probably stuff that SimPE can't see anyways.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 10:53 PM
Number 1. Clean a lot in simpe. Copy and pasted from a post that I did up for Creator Issues some time ago.

What I do is open the lot in simpe. So open SimPE and go up to Tools >package Tools> Open sims2 pack. Having the pack on the desktop makes it easy. That will open a window, just click open.

Look to the list on the left and scroll it down. You will see things such as sims scores, sim relations etc. Click on each one in turn and highlight all of them over in the right column. I click in the blank space and do CTL A to highlight them all. Then I right click the highlighted part and select delete. You will see all those files now has a line through them like this Once they are all done go up to save, you will only have Save As, as an option.

Go to your desktop and you will find that SimPE file that you just saved with whatever name you saved it as. That is your new clean lot.

What I do next is go to documents, the sims 2. In there you will find the Lot catalog. Now there is probably more than one way to do this. I simply make a new folder and put all those lot files into it. Then I grab that cleaned lot file, paste it in the lot catalogue folder so it’s the only one and rename it Cx_00000001.package
Run your game and go to the new test hood. If you have lots of cc, it's best to not only have a test hood but also a test game. It's very easy to rename your sims 2 folder and force the game to make you another. Because there is no cc in the new one it will load super fast. So in your test game open that test hood and you should find it’s the only lot in the lot bin. When you grab it you will see it has some ridiculous low price tag, that is your nod that the lot is now cleaned. Now don't worry everything is still there and once you place the lot its price will show up like it should.

Now that you have your cleaned lot placed down, load it up and move one thing. Could be a chair, then place it back. Now save and go to hood view. Your lot is now cleaned and ready to be packaged.

I hope that helps and everything is clear.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#11 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:06 AM
about occupied lots; safe or unsafe would depend if the household had any connections with other households when it was packaged. if there are connections, unsafe; if not, safe. and if the lot was made with Open For Business and/or Bon Voyage, lot owners would probably be unsafe.
since not all connections can be checked, following process might be safe::
1. place the lot into a temporary neighborhood.
2. resurrect any tombstone/urn sims.
3. with insimenator, flag all household members as ghosts.
4. save lot then quit game.
5. in SimPE find and remove any sim references.
6. run game and enter neighborhood; then check lot with CJ's Lot Inspector.
7. after hack's message appears, save then exit lot.
8. package lot to file then quit game.
9. install the new file with Clean Installer.
10. run game then place the new installation in the neighborhood/sub-neighborhood you want it to be.
11. if you want any of the former residents, use the extract option in SimPE's Sim Surgery; then clone in Body Shop. afterward in step 10's neighborhood create those sims; with the cloned files.
12. delete the temporary neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:15 AM
Even if there aren't any connections, it's not safe.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Even if there aren't any connections, it's not safe.
lot ownership I would think would be the only thing without connections.