Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:18 PM
Default How do your Sims dress?
Inspired by this thread on the TS2 boards.
Do you put any particular thought into your Sims' fashion tastes, or do they just have one outfit they always wear everywhere? What are your favourite Sim looks?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:28 PM
Alternative and Goth, though my current game Sims are dressed over the top in a dark whimsical style. In that game Sims have one outfit that I copy across the categories.

I talk to myself but no one answers ;_;
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:42 PM
I'm super lazy when it comes to dressing my Sims and I have very little cc clothing and shoes/boots. Pure and simple laziness because I really like some of the stuff I see on blogs and such but haven't added to my game. Most of the time I eventually give them a few everyday outfits, and if they're lucky, a second swimsuit. I should work on that.

Style or type of clothing and colors (for me) depends on the Sim. Some would look good in a 'Jessica Jones' style (skinny jeans, black boots, white tank-tee, jacket). Others look better in a softer style. Normal everyday outfits would be on the top of my cc shopping list.

I wish that EA hadn't fudged up so many of their outfits and hairs with chunky shit, but I try to use what I can when my Sims are lucky and get 3 everyday outfits.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:49 PM
I don't pay that much attention other than picking the one time for each age transition. I have thousands of CC items, and they are not even in my game at the moment. I tend to pick a fave color and general style for the sim and that is about it.
Alchemist
#5 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:13 PM
I try to dress my sims as I think they might like...as long as I don't think it'll result in retinal cancer for me to behold them in.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:22 PM
I change their dress every season (I play with max length seasons). I try to use whatever their favorite color is, and in clothes that I think suit their characters.
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 8:55 PM
I tend to give them clothes that suit the season - longer stuff and tights/leggings with cold weather; light stuff for summer. They get one outfit per category. And I try to make their clothes work with their traits - someone who is athletic and outdoors a lot, hiking or whatever, I'll probably design to wear pants a lot and rarely ever dresses or skirts.
Scholar
#8 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:00 PM
I don't know much about fashion and I tend to dress my sims into stereotypes. Sometimes I have an additional outfit for messy activities (gardening etc). But only if their main outfit is obviously unfit for that activity. Like gardening in a space suit. Except with the Insane trait ofc, then the spacesuit is the best outfit.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
I try to dress my sims as I think they might like...as long as I don't think it'll result in retinal cancer for me to behold them in.

I know what you mean. I used to dislike both overly feminine and overly masculine clothing styles for my Sims, so I would always end up with a slightly boring unisex preppy style, but I've grown more open-minded in real life. And as I've been wanting to make my Sims more diverse and realistic, I now have a lot more of both.
And recently I've had my doubts about the real-life "recent retro" fashion trends, with the 80s/90s fashion that literally everyone under the age of 35 now wears (and I'm absolutely guilty of at least some of it). Still, my Sims now wear distressed and baggy denim, higher-waisted pants, and weird patterns and accessoires.
Still not going anywhere near dungarees or mom jeans though, fuck that noise. If you wear either of those things you're a disgrace and your parents need not love you.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 1:08 AM
I tend to dress my sims either very feminine or relatively unisex, or if not that...geeky. Very, very geeky.

My current family consists of a lesbian couple and their son (with two more children on the way), and their cats. One dresses hyper feminine, and used to wear mostly revealing clothing up until the kiddo was born lol. Now, she dresses pretty femininely, buuuut still in a way that has some flirty tastes. The other used to dress in the ripped t and jeans set from supernatural, but now wears a blouse, jeans, and sneakers.

Their kid mostly wears pink. He likes it.

I'd include pics but I deleted most of them and all of the others aren't really accurate, just funny or cute ones lol.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 1:28 AM Last edited by DuskTrooper : 27th Sep 2017 at 2:03 AM.
My sense of fashion is usually enforced upon a Sim, rather than what would be an ideal choice for that specific Sim.

My sense of fashion is more acquitted to a professionally-casual style. A mix of dress shirts with jeans and a half-buttoned suit jacket that looks cheap is a favorable choice as I've found this choice generally signals to others that you are youthful and able to accommodate the demands of the modern world while still attempting to present yourself with a professional attitude.

Colour coordination plays the primary role in my selection over most other methods of choice. More neutral hues are paired with similar complimentary tones. I would be most likely to pair blue jeans with tan/brown boat shoes, a black casual jacket and a white dress shirt. A tie may also be a chosen accessory. It would not be unlikely for me to commit what some might see as a fashion faux paw as long as the colour pallet coordinates.

An example of my style:

Interestingly, I have found colour coordination plays a pivitol role in other aspects of my life too. There are quiet a few times in my work where I've had to alter my approach to adhere to that of of my clientele. As for femininity/masculinity, a Sim, not unlike my own self, usually is paired with styles that compliment their biological sex, rather than their chosen gender.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 3:38 AM
I tend to dress my sims according to what I think they'd like based on their given traits, and the personalities I made up for them. Also, I dress them according to which season it is. My seasons last a week each, so every Sunday my active sims get new outfits to match the season.

"We're cookies and cream. Not double stuffed."
My sims blog
my simblr
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 4:33 AM
I dress them based on the "stage" of their life" normally when i start a New sim I think about how am I going to play with them. then based off of Jobs/career i change they every day clothes. Then as they age up i change it too.

I am currently doing the 100 baby challenge and when my matriarch aged up to elder i put her in more "comfy day clothes and shoes".
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:49 AM
I imagine a personality, and I try to dress them that way.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 9:20 AM
For me depends where they live. In Midnight Hollow my female version of Holmes and Watson wear victorian clothing, in Al Shibalba my archeologist couple wears "tombraiding" clothes, in Aurora skyes my photographer family wear long warm clothes. In my current run in Sunlit tides every family is made of beautiful women in bikini
Field Researcher
#17 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I imagine a personality, and I try to dress them that way.

What are your methods of doing this? I imagine it would lead to interesting results and entice the player to explore alternate mindsets.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 3:47 PM
It's a compromise between my own, albeit somewhat boring tastes and the favorite colors/personality of the sim.
I "correct" the townies' most atrocious fashion disasters via Master Controller when I encounter them. I live out my design gene in decorating my houses, not so much in the clothing.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 4:34 PM
I noticed I always give them one of the following colours.
Black, Dark Blue, Red, White.
Men always wear boring stuff or uncomfortably formal. Women are mostly modest with a pinch of slutty into it. Unless I play on a not-serious save, then the sluttinesss is up to 11! The only chance the men gets to wear something cool is when I decide I want to play with Into The Future so they can look like a bunch of sci fi geeks or something.Heck, I made Rick from Rick & Morty while playing in Dragon Valley because fuck dragons!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 5:01 PM
Quote:
I tend to dress my sims either very feminine or relatively unisex, or if not that...geeky. Very, very geeky. My current family consists of a lesbian couple and their son (with two more children on the way), and their cats. One dresses hyper feminine, and used to wear mostly revealing clothing up until the kiddo was born lol. Now, she dresses pretty femininely, buuuut still in a way that has some flirty tastes. The other used to dress in the ripped t and jeans set from supernatural, but now wears a blouse, jeans, and sneakers. Their kid mostly wears pink. He likes it. I'd include pics but I deleted most of them and all of the others aren't really accurate, just funny or cute ones lol.

Finally managed to dig through my queue to find the pictures of my sims that I was referring to lol.

Although the toddler is going to age up soon lol, so I'll have to come back with that.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 5:09 PM Last edited by kusurusu : 1st Oct 2017 at 1:34 PM.
With my only creation I tried to apply the following rules:
- base game only (so everyone gets the same result)
- subtle instead of oversaturated (all parts default colored -> significantly smaller file)
- matching top/bottom (I really like the hoodie top but in default it's yellow and all athletic bottoms are blue/pink)
- no revealing (all underwear and one bikini)
- age appropriate (e.g. no clothing where she looks like a granny)

As result I got this...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 5:30 PM
Anyway, here's some of my recent Sim fashions:

As you can see, I try to use a variety of styles, materials, patterns and colour palettes.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 11:59 AM
I don't think it's really a mix between anything. It's "whatever the hell looks good on this Sim". There's some hipster inspiration, some retro inspiration and yeah, sometimes there's a bit of butch in there, but ultimately it's just me throwing shit together until I'm satisfied.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 3