Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 2:30 PM
Default Preventing Framerate dropouts.
I'm wondering I got a dual-boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Most cases my game runs beautifully, very smooth, quick loading times, but always every 10-15 seconds or so, a sudden loss of noticeable frame rate drop, like they are doing one thing then in a split-second they are doing something else.

Oddly for me it's seems to run the smoothest on Windows 7, but I may be wrong.

My Quick Specs are:
Intel Celeron G1850 @ 2.90GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 699MHz (10-10-10-25)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I have the 3 serperate physical Hard Drives.

The SSD is for my OS's
I Use my fastest drive (Blue WD) for The Sims 4 saved games. (A Trick by creating a junction in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts)
I use the slower one (Green WD) for the complete installation of all GPs SPs, EPs.

I Play in a window -
Sims: Very High
Objects: High
Lighting: High
Reflections: High
Visual Effects: High
Edge Smoothing: Low
3D Scene Resolution: High
View Distance: High
Uncompressed Sim Textures: (Unchecked)
Post Processing Effects: (Checked)
Laptop Mode (Unchecked)

and Vertical Sync : (Unchecked)

I play with minimum running processes I can think of, I keep and eye of CPU usage, and can't find hardly any other hog.

This happens if I'm playing on a lot with just 2 sims, or 30 Sims, no difference here.

I recently found an setting in options, frameratelimit=200 which i changed to frameratelimit=60, but the drops continues.

I need my Sims on Very High setting, so anyone knows of anything gem, to eliminate or make those drops out nearly a thing of the past?

Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 4:20 PM
Yeah I was wondering if it was more my aging Graphics Card or my cheap duo-Core processor, or just I got poorly configured graphic settings, heard rumors that enabling V-sync drops fixes a lot of issues, but I presume that would really slow things down too much because I presumed that is the only to reduce the unnoticable screen-tearing anyway.

Thanks for letting me know I didn't think I had such a dinosaur PC.

Edit: Motherboard is actually ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-PLUS (SOCKET 1150), another cheapy and handles my dual-channel quite well.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 6:23 PM
Yeah everything is highest, but not overclocked (which I prefer not too), meanwhile I try sacrificing more eye candy, ignore any Celerons offers in the future, funny I actually built the whole machine myself only over a year ago, with cheapest parts of course, then seated an old graphics card in, but yeah things don't run as smooth as TS4 with just base game anymore, as TS3 is still horrible as performance is concerned, great with TS2 though.