Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 3:55 AM
Default Need help with a default replacement cellphone.
So, since I just downloaded the TS2 Ultimate Collection pack off Origin for free, I thought maybe I should try my hand at making a mod or two for the game. Problem is while one modder managed to get his Galaxy S3 mesh ingame , I'm at a loss as to how can I do a default replacement for the University cellphone, well, mostly since things are a tad different compared to TS3. I can get away with just extracting resources in the latter or clone TS3 objects via s3oc, but for some reason custom cellphones have a different TGI, and yet they're made as replacement objects, much to my confusion.

There's a tutorial at http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3691 for creating replacement objects, but I couldn't seem to find the University phone on the catalogue.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:44 AM
Sorry for the bump, but anyone?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:40 AM
The NOYIN 2680 Cellular Phone can be found in the "Unknown" group in the Object Workshop. If you do not have an "Unknown" section, you may need to put SimPE in advanced mode by going to Extra > Preferences, select "SimPE Settings", and then check "Advanced Mode."

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
The NOYIN 2680 Cellular Phone can be found in the "Unknown" group in the Object Workshop. If you do not have an "Unknown" section, you may need to put SimPE in advanced mode by going to Extra > Preferences, select "SimPE Settings", and then check "Advanced Mode."

Hmm, for some reason the Noyin doesn't show up in the Objects list, and that's even if I tick Advanced Mode and made sure the University folder has been linked to in SimPE preferences.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 12:10 AM
Hmmm...well, there is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say....

Thanks to Neder's mod to make them buyable, I got the GUID for the cell phone: 0xCE8408E6

In the "Advanced" section in the Object Workshop (underneath the "Start" and "Open..." buttons), you should see three text boxes, each with their own button to the right. Enter the GUID into that middle text box and click the "Open by GUID" button. You should be good to go from there...

Tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 1:02 AM
Strange, regardless of whether I search high and low for the GUID or the catalogue the blasted object doesn't show up. And yet all of the game directories are referenced in SimPE's preferences.

I'm using the freeware Ultimate Edition pack, if that helps.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#7 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 1:21 AM
I also have the Ultimate Pack. If you use enter the GUID into the text box and click the button, you don't need to find it in the catalog, it will pull it up for you.

Tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 2:40 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 30th Jul 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Yeah, but regardless of what I tried the cellphone doesn't show up at all. I did the XREG fix but that ended up with the objects not showing up on SimPE.

NVM, for some reason the object files containing the phone load up now.

EDIT 2: Aight, managed to get the phone to at least show up ingame, but I end up with a "Bad gosub tree number" error even if I just point at the object. Does it have something to do with the TGIs being different? I tried importing my mesh as a GMDC using Replace rather than a Half-Life SMD (i.e. the Import tool) but still no dice. Oh, and here's a link to the .package file I tried to cobble up: http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/51432422/file.html
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:09 AM
Sorry for the double-post, but even merely cloning the object without any changes through the default replacement tutorial didn't work. I still get the gosub error.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:55 AM
To make a default replacement the TGI needs to be the same as the original. The bad gosub is due to a format in the BHAV for an EP you don't have. Remove any resource you're not going to change, which will include the BHAVs, and that error should clear up.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:20 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 31st Jul 2014 at 4:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
To make a default replacement the TGI needs to be the same as the original. The bad gosub is due to a format in the BHAV for an EP you don't have. Remove any resource you're not going to change, which will include the BHAVs, and that error should clear up.

How do I make a proper default replacement with the same TGIs, then?

EDIT: The phone now works ingame after deleting the BHAVs, but still I'd like to know of a proper way to do a replacement.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 1:20 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Uncheck all boxes in object workshop when cloning, Delete any and all resources you're not editing.

What about the standalone object? If I untick it the vanilla phone shows up.