Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 2:57 PM Last edited by ShadowsMystery : 27th Sep 2013 at 3:22 AM.
Default Curtains don't have a back
(I apologize beforehand if this is in the wrong section, as I wasn't sure if this went here or the modding section)

I noticed a month ago that some curtains I had downloaded from one creator didn't have a back, so if you placed them in front of a window and then moved the camera around so you were looking into the house from the outside, you didn't see the curtains. I know this is probably a minimal frustration, but as I spend the majority of my time just decorating sim houses and posting pics of them, it finally got to me. My best guess is the creator cloned the curtains from a painting, but I could be wrong of course. If that is the case though, I know there's some way to fix it (Yuxi changed some posters so her cobwebs would appear on both sides, but for the life of me, I didn't see any difference between her mesh and the old). So I was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do to fix this?

My LJ / My Simblr
Formerly known as ShadowsMystery
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 4:08 PM
You need to duplicate the mesh and invert the new bits. Your poly count will double, but as long as the final count is under 800, there is nothing to worry about. There *might* be a way to achieve this with some Matdef properties, but I could be misremembering this. Check out Pixelhate's tuts on that subject.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 9:21 PM
Thanks Phae! Pixelhate's tutorials pointed out to change the stdMatCullMode and it now shows the texture on both sides.

My LJ / My Simblr
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 9:38 PM
Just so you know- doing that will double the polycount, just like duplicating the mesh/what Phae said. That said, I've done that many times when I've run across meshes that don't show from one angle. Like glass cups/containers/bottles that don't show the back while you're looking at the front or one side when you're looking at the other side. (Yes, I'm finicky like that!)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:07 PM
Yeah, I made sure to check the polycount before I tried and it was only at 8. That said, I spoke too soon: only the default texture is showing up right (both front and back). Some reason, all the recolors still don't appear on the back.

My LJ / My Simblr
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:09 PM
Thanks MLC! Going through the matdefs is much easier than getting out Milkshape, and if both ways double the polycounts anyways, eh, I pick the easier way hands down.

Oh, recolors not showing up? Maybe you should go through the Milkshape way and be sure to include the new bits in the group that gets recolored. That way it will be sure to change with the design tool.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:24 PM
Going through all the recolors and changing the stdMatCullMode in the TXMT will fix those- OR you could just extract all the textures and redo the recolors using the altered mesh. Hard way, easy way, hard way, easy way.. decisions, decisions, lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 10:57 PM
Ouch. On second thought, editing the meshes sounds a lot easier now xD (I have a lot of RCs for these curtains)

My LJ / My Simblr
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 3:58 PM
i dont think setting cullmode to none would auto duplicate the meshparts.
http://simswiki.info/TXMT/Parameters/StdMatCullMode
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 5:56 PM
Well - "cullClockwise" is enough while "none" will use up twice amount of rendering resource for the same effect". So, no. Setting it to none doesn't duplicate the mesh, it just causes your game to treat the mesh like it's higher poly than it is. Bad wording on my part.