Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
As previously mentioned in another thread, it is about a balanced system. If your CPU is too fast and your loading cannot keep up, try slowing down your CPU.

I suppose if the problem is that his hard drive is too slow to keep up with his CPU, he could use an 8-10 GB RAM Disk and put the entire My Docs/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder in it (provided he doesn't have too much CC). The files the game reads and writes the most are the cache files (compositor, world caches, SimCompositor) and thumbnails. He has a good amount of RAM (16 GB) so a RAM Disk could be really useful at least until he buys an SSD.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 10:13 PM
One of the issues I had with the RAMdisk is that the tool advertised the option to designate certain folders (such as the game install) to the virtual disk, however it didn't work. So I had to manually move these files to the disk each time I rebooted my PC.
Now that I have everything running off of SSD's, and fairly high-end ones at that, I don't think it's necessary anymore to bother.

But I'll take your word for eBoostr and try it out. Is the increase in performance really that significant?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#31 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 3:12 AM
@Naus Allien - Sorry to bring this back to your unfortunate reddit encounter for a moment, but I just took a few minutes to look over your snukkie "friend's" posting history over there and would have to say you found yourself a real winner. My guess is that when he put that system together himself, he ate the GPU card (thus cannot remember which one it was as they all probably taste about the same), substituted a poker chip or something for it, and just imagined all of the great things he could then do with it all.
Inventor
Original Poster
#32 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I just took a few minutes to look over your snukkie "friend's" posting history over there and would have to say you found yourself a real winner. My guess is that when he put that system together himself, he ate the GPU card (thus cannot remember which one it was as they all probably taste about the same), substituted a poker chip or something for it, and just imagined all of the great things he could then do with it all.

I don't understand, igazor. So he does NOT have the super computer capable of rendering "Pixar-level shit" he claims to have. Did you catch any other lies? I don't know if he was lying, but he was definitely trolling me and taking advantage of my being tired of the lies people have been fed these years to justify The Sims 4's lack of features. I just don't have any more tolerance to misinformation and hyperbole.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 4:14 AM Last edited by igazor : 17th Dec 2018 at 4:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I don't understand, igazor. So he does NOT have the super computer capable of rendering "Pixar-level shit" he claims to have.

Well, there is often a fine line between being a liar and being delusional. I was referring more to the behavior he seems to be overly proud of while frequently being under the influence of more substances than it appears he can handle well (I am trying to be kind here, probably not succeeding). I wouldn't know or care if he was lying about his computer and if he is that "wasted" so much of the time, whether true or just stories he is telling for bragging rights, it probably really doesn't matter much.

There are certain mindsets that just cannot be reasoned with, or at least trying to do so isn't really going to accomplish anything.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 8:27 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 17th Dec 2018 at 8:52 AM.
Anyway, I've probably posted this one half a dozen times already in as many places, but I usually use this video that it's possible for TS3 to be crammed to the brim with extra crap and still be generally playable (provided you're one with patience). I've got visual mods, shader mods, gameplay mods and more CC than I'll ever need, and I'm glad that I always forget to take out the B'88 radio music folder when I return to the modern world because it prevents me from getting copyright striked time and time again. Besides, airplay anno 2018 is mostly just 80s/90s "oldies" anyway so I'm not bovvered.

Not sure what that off-the-shoulder thing is. I've never known Amber to try to be cute even though I know she secretly wants to be. It's like that time she wore a dress, only less awkward.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Alchemist
#35 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm still leaning more on routing. I recently cleaned up my Sunset Valley and went there for vacation. Strangely every few minutes, there's a pause in the game. Didn't think much of it until I visited this Maldive resort I put in there, the pause becomes every few seconds. Turned out in this resort, every luxury room has a back patio deck facing the ocean, which is not fenced in. To the sims, these are "public" places and they try to get there but can't get through the luxury rooms. To make it worse, each deck has a "all in one" bathroom and the only bathrooms available on the lot. So even though there were only 3-4 sims that just constantly going from 1 luxury room to the next and getting a routing error, it was enough to freeze the game for 1-2 seconds every few seconds when I'm on the lot. When I'm off the lot, I'm guessing there are far less fewer visitors to the resort and they mostly just stand there, but still occasionally get a routing error.

I just experienced these 1-2 second stops, as well, last evening. I play in modified Hidden Springs and usually my game runs pretty smoothly (all EP's + SP's). It turned out that there were two boats stuck in different places in the map - one at the ocean shore and the other in a waterfall pond (that was odd, got to fix it). Both were carrying a pet going home. I already suspected a routing issue. Haven't had that happen in a long time and after clearing them out, the game run fine again. At least now I know where to look for if it happens again.
Page 2 of 2