Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 11:44 PM
Uneven roof lines
I tried Googling this, but Google brought me to 'Top 10 Amazing Builds in Sims 4' on Pinterest and a bunch of other related links completely unrelated to my issue.

I'm building a vampire mansion for my sim and her fiance to save money for and buy, but I'm having issues with the roof lines not matching up. One side will be higher while the other side will be lower. Honestly, building in Sims 4 is more complicated than Sims 3. I'm also not the greatest at building or furnishing houses at all, but I have better luck in Sims 3.

Below is my roof line I'd like to be even. I have more of these issues elsewhere around the house, but those I can easily mask, or just adding extra columns worked as a workaround. If I remove the guilding? (I don't know what it's called) from the walls the roof line snaps to the same level. But I want to keep the guilding and the roof line. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I've been working pretty diligently on this house because I'd like to get better at building. I've learned many things so far, but I'm sure there are other things I need to learn as well.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

(You can also see that the guilding (molding?) is inside the room, but I'm done with fighting that. It's not like I'll be uploading this to the gallery.)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 1:01 AM
I believe that what you're referring to as "guilding" is called a frieze, or in the case of thinner ones, exterior trim, within the game. The element that goes over the fence is called a spandrel. I don't use friezes much (not my style) and I've never had a problem like this with spandrels. It might help if you do some searching with these terms. I did a quick search on Sims 4 frieze and it seems like most of it is people having trouble with it recognizing rooms, especially if they're trying to fake a split level or have otherwise removed flooring. That's a common problem with a lot of build elements.

What I'm seeing in your picture is that the frieze is inside the room, as you said, which probably indicates that somehow your game isn't recognizing that room is 'inside.' Also, the spandrel appears to be attaching to the top of the frieze/column at one point and to the bottom of the frieze at the other point. Fence attachments sometimes work differently with some elements depending on which way you're dragging them. Did you drag in the same direction (i.e. towards or away from the house) when you drew the parts of the fence that the spandrel goes over? If you started at one end and dragged away from the house, then ended by dragging toward the house at the other end, you might try drawing the fence in one direction or the other at both connection points so it's the same, or try making them different if you drew them the same originally. If you just let the game draw it with the fence room tool, then try manually drawing the fence. Then place the spandrels. Does that make a difference? I've never had this problem but this is how I would go about troubleshooting it myself.

If I'm misinterpreting, my apologies, but I don't even see a roof in your picture so this is my interpretation of what you meant by "roof line." I hope this helps.

ETA: Spandrels depend on fencing, which is why I focused on that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 11:39 PM
The fence and the spandrel can't be drawn over a rounded area. You can only click to place the fence and spandrel, however, with the spandrel, I don't think you can draw it at all, even on straight areas. If I remove the frieze the spandrel snaps back to a correct alignment, and adding it back breaks the alignment of the spandrel.
The room this is attached to doesn't have a split level (I'm sure I would butcher that if I attempted it), but it does have a half wall that separates it from the bathroom. Removing that and making it a regular wall doesn't help either.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 6:09 AM
Hmm. I messed around in my game and replicated your problem exactly. I didn't find a difference with an interior half wall or the orientation of the rooms making up the round porch. I even tried duplicating the room in which the spandrel was working correctly, but you're right: the only thing that affects it is whether the frieze is there or not, and other friezes that are thicker distort the right side even further down. It seems like the game is picking one of the endpoints of the spandrel and basing its height on the connection with the frieze there. For example, let's say in your picture the game is saying "if the right side of a spandrel connects to a frieze, shift the spandrel down," then it would do exactly what we see in the picture. So this seems like it is actually a game bug. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but at least you know it's not just you?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 12:36 AM
I'm certainly glad to know it's not just me! Thanks for looking into it further for me. Hopefully it's something EA will fix, but lol, that's unlikely... and if it does happen, it won't be for a long time.