Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 8:42 AM
Retexturing a Clone without Replacing original Item?
I have a question That seems appropriate enough for here.

I've read a good deal of the tutorials around the site including the sticky's and the PDF in this thread as well, so I'm clear on how to retexture/recolor. But I'm not clear on then putting that item back into the game without replacing the original item. And How can I then make sure it shows up where I need it to in the Buy item menu in-game?

My specific issue is I want to create a series of new paintings for my house. One will be a clone of the Cantankerous Splatters that i will retexture. But I still want to keep Cantankerous Splatters and not overwrite it. The second one is a 'Big Canvas' Mesh by someone at another site who said we could use the mesh and recolor it. So I want to retexture that one as well and then add it to the game but then how do I know where the file is going to show up?

Help on this issue is much appreciated.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#52 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 9:48 AM
PsiKnife, please, see Numenor's object recoloring tutorial for Object Workshop. You will need to create a separate recolor package for the object, not recolor the actual mesh file texture. And make sure you're making recolors and not clones if you're just changing the texture. If you clone an object but do not change the GUIDs, it will replace the original object.
Test Subject
#53 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 10:28 AM
K I'll go check his tutorial now. Thx much for the 411.
Test Subject
#54 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 8:57 PM
New Q's
Sorry New Q's now.

Are Recolor templates Clones with changed GUIDS?

I'm confused on this issue, I would like to create a clone (I think) of the Cantankerous Splatters painting , retexture that clone, and give it a new name and pricetag. I understand how to create a recolor package using the default painting that shows up in object manager, but not how to create a seperate painting using that game mesh.

I was told to clone and change the GUID's. So then I later found a "recolor template" for that painting, - is that a clone with changed GUID's?. If not, then whats the purpose of a recolor template?

I opened the recolor template in SimPE but other than seeing the files info I couldn't directly do anything with the info (can't double click on texture for example as nothing opens to give option to export to a paint program). It's all seperate from the actual recolor package tutorial because the recolor tempalte doesnt open in object manager. There is no tutorial on handling a recolor template file type. There's plenty on existing default files, but nothing on SimPE and template files.

lol I don't even know if I need to be using a template file.
Part-time Hermit
#55 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 4:46 AM
Recolor templates are not clones, it's just a guide for the texture on where things go. With a painting, for example, it would show you where the frame goes and where the actual painting image goes. No GUIDs needed. You just open the template in your paint program and use it as a reference.

If you're not changing the mesh of a painting, I do not recommend cloning it only to have a new catalog description. That I would consider sort of a waste of GUIDs. I'd recommend doing a normal recolor, and saving clones for purposes where you actually do make a new mesh.
Test Subject
#56 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Recolor templates are not clones, it's just a guide for the texture on where things go. With a painting, for example, it would show you where the frame goes and where the actual painting image goes. No GUIDs needed. You just open the template in your paint program and use it as a reference.

If you're not changing the mesh of a painting, I do not recommend cloning it only to have a new catalog description. That I would consider sort of a waste of GUIDs. I'd recommend doing a normal recolor, and saving clones for purposes where you actually do make a new mesh.

That clarifys things for me quite a bit. Thx much. With your help and Numenors tutorial I finally got it to work. My first custom content! http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/...pshot726nz9.jpghttp://img137.imageshack.us/img137/...pshot726nz9.jpg

Yay go me the nub!
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 28th Dec 2006 at 12:02 AM
I feel smart now! Thanks for the tutorial
Scholar
#58 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 11:21 PM
I wasn't able to find the 3D mesh tab in Simpe.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 9:44 AM
I have a question, too:
I recolour my own mesh exactly the same way I was instructed in several tuts. But in game my object is invisible. What do I do wrong?

@ Rainncandy:
In the new Sim Pe it´s called Geometric Data Container (CMDC)
Field Researcher
#60 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SUMSE
I have a question, too:
I recolour my own mesh exactly the same way I was instructed in several tuts. But in game my object is invisible. What do I do wrong?

I have already answered to you in your OTHER post here
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...477#post1749477

Please, DO NOT post the same question in more threads/forums

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
#61 Old 25th Aug 2007 at 11:36 PM Last edited by Vampire_of_Death : 26th Aug 2007 at 12:03 AM.
I tried this over and over and i keep getting the same result. When i get to page 8 of the tut. i save my project on to my desktop. It finishes and and all it says in the object workshop area is that object was created and loaded. I don't see the pictures to recolor or anything. I really need help.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 2:27 AM
great tutorial,
but I am doing the tutorial for texturing for custom mesh
and when I click on object workshop,
I then click on open, I find my file, i then choose recolour, then i click start.
now as far as I understand another window pops up and I have to pick the colours "the subset selection" , i dont get this, the subset selection for the colours does not come up at all.
it just comes up as a totally empty package. no files, nothing. what am i doing wrong? this is the same with every mesh i have created. am i doing somethiing wrong when i make my meshes?
Instructor
#63 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 1:57 PM
rosaline - I think its possible that you haven't set up your subsets for your custom item to be recolorable...there is a tutorial on that by ignorant bliss that should help you when it comes to creating recolorable subsets for your custom objects. I would think that unless you set it up originally to be recolorable you won't be able to recolor. This tutorial should walk you through doing that to your original item.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379

As for this tutorial - it is a great one - if you have a template to follow. How does one go about creating a map correctly? I have been trying for a week to get one for a simple box with a specific logo on top to turn out right and it never does. The logo just tiles all over the place and I get white streaks all through it. Would be nice if someone could point me to a step by step "how to create a map that is proportioned correctly" tutorial.
#64 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 10:29 AM
This is so helpful. Thanks.

Bites and Kisses
Vampire
Test Subject
#65 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 9:04 AM
hi im not sure if this question has been answered but on page 8 you say, then on the right click first line? what is that? and also click on 3d mesh on my SimPE it dosent have that option it only has element links groups models and joints. also on page 14 you say be sure to entre the size of the original texure, where is that and how do i find out its size, i dont have xp i have vista, and when i was doing your tut i chose to recolour a bed, so on the couch you said delete the base, so on mine i deleted the frame, and when i went to select the different parts and create a new texture when i opened them in photoshop they all came out with the same image, i guess because im just doing a bed spread. i dont no why do i have to do that cant i just pick one and recolour one i dont understand, any way besides all of there problems i was having i tryed to work my way arround them, i didnt click 3d mesh cause i didnt have the option and i did the best i could on the textures it came up perfect on the uv mapper but when i put it in the game it didnt come up right, the clours where all over the place, oh and also when you said to fix integrity and press save, mine came up with two um files and an ok and change button? so i didnt no what to do there and way i really need help
Test Subject
#66 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 11:32 PM
okay so i'm having a problem i have been following the tutorial for the maxis mesh to the letter but when i get to page 8 my problem begins. I clicked on the resource tree and clicked on geometric data container but nothing shows up in it

what am i doing wrong? all i'm trying to do is retexture the window of the base game microwave. please help
Screenshots
Page 3 of 3