Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:37 AM
Default How often do you change your Sims' clothing?
Just another discussion.

Unless I can't imagine a Sim without their outfit (such as Mortimer Goth's red suit or John Mole's trenchcoat) or they can't afford anything extra, I make a point of trying to change their clothes at least once a season. A heavy sweater looks uncomfortable in the middle of summer, and same as walking around in shorts in the middle of winter. Sometimes Sims they change their clothes when they get a promotion or a big bonus at work and want to flaunt it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:58 AM
I change a sims clothes with the season most times, although it depends on the sim and the season. When they age, often in between aging and some sims change clothes often.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:16 AM
I don't change my Sims clothing very often. Generally, they have one set of clothes that I force them to wear day after day. But if their regular wear is very summer (shorts, summer dress) then I'll buy them a set of winter clothes. If their regular outfit is winter, then I'll buy them a set of summer clothes.

I don't mind buying them clothes but I don't like changing their clothes often, especially if I have a lot of Sims in a game. I have to do a double take to remember who is who when they aren't in their regular attire.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:25 AM
Rarely ever, unless some event I deem important happens (e.g. their wedding, so changing formal wear to a wedding dress)... mostly I'm just lazy, so I don't do it.

"'Why is Shinji blushing over everything Kaworu does,' you ask? He's gay..... gay gay gay gay gay" -Actual Kaworu
Inventor
#5 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 3:00 AM
Since my current custom-made Sims are based on another game, I want to keep their attire original. As such, I've very rarely given them anything new aside from similar outfits of identical color themes over time. There are some of these Sims I just cannot imagine wearing anything else, like my William and his dark business suit.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 3:03 AM
I usually change my sims' clothes a couple of times per season. My more conservative sims, like Tara Kat and Cassandra Goth-Menon, usually have about four or five outfits they cycle through almost all year round. My sims like Patricia Wan, Jimmy Phoenix and Dina Caliente are shopaholics, and I change their outfits every time they get a want to go clothes shopping. New outfits and clothing combos and all that.
Instructor
#7 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 9:31 AM
Well, apart from when they age, I think I change their clothes like twice or three times in their whole life lol sometimes I give 'em new clothes if get something new in the Downloads folder.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 9:39 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Sep 2017 at 12:51 AM.
For storytelling, I tend to do it for most new chapters where at least 1-3 days have passed. Other than that it depends what I'm doing with the sims. Back when I played mostly with families, the sims got one outfit and stuck with it until the next time they grew up. My test sims have had the same clothes for a while now, although they do sometimes get new clothes if I'm using them for previews.

My story sims have a nearly endless array of clothing, and I rarely use the same everyday outfit twice. I think of this as the sims growing out of their clothes as they get older...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:01 AM
Hardly ever. Sim Sample has been wearing the same PVC since 2004. But then, I dress the same as I did when I was 8, so my sims have no chance...
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:30 AM
Every season, accordingly (more or less) to the climate.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:12 PM
YIKES! You people make them wear the same stinky clothes every day???? My guys change clothes every time they bathe, sometimes two or three times a day. What's the point of having a million different cc clothing options if you never use them?

(mutters insanely to self)

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:46 PM
In the beginning when it took a lot of time to load a community lot to go buy clothes, I almost never changed their clothes. And before Seasons I didn't really see the point. So I got into the habit of not changing my Sims clothes.

Recently, I try to change their clothes once each season. Each sim's got about 3 or 4 outfit (they sometimes got the same for spring and autumn).
With CAS sims I often find it weird to see them in different clothes than the ones I chose in CAS.
I find it easier to change the clothes of born in game sims. I try to go buy their 3 or 4 outfits before they age so I can change them as soon as they grow up if they get ugly or non season apropriate clothes (like summer dresss in winter ).
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 3:15 PM
Sometimes they keep the same clothes forever, but sometimes, I change their clothes by season.

Shorts in the winter just doesn't make sense...

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:30 PM
One change, first with the makeover, always if they are pre made Sims, after that, all my Sims change clothes with the Seasons, but some of them like Samantha Hayden, Bella, Dina and others have a lot of clothes, because they need to follow the fashion trends.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 6:24 PM
http://modthesims.info/t/592347

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#16 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:04 PM
Never. I just pretend they're like Donald Duck, who has only sailor suits in his dresser. Shorts in the winter, scarfs in the summer, that's a way to recognize them to me. Only sometimes they change into different clothes when they turn their lives around.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Hardly ever. Sim Sample has been wearing the same PVC since 2004. But then, I dress the same as I did when I was 8, so my sims have no chance...

I change with seasons and they get new clothes at age up (those ones for free).

We had a thread like this before - I'm not particularly complaining OP - and I remember being astonished people changed their sims' clothes everyday. Everyday? Blimey, I have enough trouble getting them out of bed and off to work/school in the mornings.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#18 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:02 PM
as far as I recall, my sims have always had the clothing they started with.
though in a number households, had some of its members buy clothing for other members. mostly for future ages of newly born/adopted members.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
YIKES! You people make them wear the same stinky clothes every day???? My guys change clothes every time they bathe, sometimes two or three times a day. What's the point of having a million different cc clothing options if you never use them?

(mutters insanely to self)

Because when one has 100 plus Sims smustling around a neighbourhood, distinct character clothing (and hair) allows for quick identification. The way I look at it, a million clothing options allow each sim to have their own distinct look. Changing clothes willy- nilly undermines that mnemonic.

It's really just for easier gameplay.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 10:50 PM
"Dressing my dollies" has been a big part of my Simming life from the very beginning. (I'm male.) I knew about CC clothing before I even bought the game. There's no point in me downloading clothes if my Sims don't wear them, so at least some of my Sims change their clothes a lot. I see the last thread on this topic was only 6 months ago (thanks Rosebine!), so I'll just quote what I wrote then:

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
On schooldays Andrew always changes his clothes when he gets home from school. At school he wears what he considers "sensible" clothing -- a shirt and tie with black or grey shorts. Then he chooses what he wants to wear in his leisure time. He's bought a few thousand Simoleons worth of teenage clothing -- mostly paid for with his mum's money, so he's got plenty to choose from. I suppose he'll want to buy a lot of new stuff when he goes to uni, but he's come into some money of his own, so he won't he won't be such a drain on his poor mum's purse. She'll maybe even be able to buy a few more clothes for herself!

Andrew has, I'm sure, the most clothes in my game, but most of my playables have got several outfits in their wardrobes. Of course some have a favourite outfit that they wear nearly all the time, but "What shall I wear today?" is a question my Sims frequently ask themselves. The only exception are really poor Sims. Clothes are so dear in TS2. Today I bought myself two pairs of shorts from Primark for £4 a pair. To buy something similar my Sims would be forking out §200 a pair! I wish there was a way to set up cheap clothes shops for impoverished Sims.

Jo suggested a knitting mod by Rebecah at Affinity Sims, but unfortunately that needs FreeTime, and I won't trust my netbook PC with anything beyond OFB. Somehow I just feel that getting clothes for free with various mods is just too cheaty for me. (I'm totally irrational about what I do and don't consider "cheaty".)

My Sims often plan their outfit before going on an outing. Maybe not if you're just going shopping for groceries, but, if you're going to a nightclub, it makes sense to think about what you will be wearing. Very often a shopping trip includes a visit to a clothes shop (I like taking my Sims clothes-shopping!), and in that case it makes sense that they may want to change into the outfit they've just bought. I use christianlov's Gussy Up - Plan Outfit for that. (I think a later EP may make it possible to change in the changing booth, but that doesn't work on my game. It really should have been base game -- I mean you can woohoo in the clothes changing booth, but you can't change your clothes! What on earth were they thinking of? )

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Blimey, I have enough trouble getting them out of bed and off to work/school in the mornings.
Andrew tries to go to his wardrobe before bed and plan his outfit so he'll have his school clothes ready for the next morning. (I wish I was as organised as he is!)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#21 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 11:46 PM
Daily...don't judge.

Outfits also have to be seasons appropriate - none of that wearing shorts and a tank top in the winter business.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#22 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 11:51 PM
They used to wear the same outfit throughout the life stage, but with Seasons I do have them change if their clothes are obviously too heavy for summer or too skimpy for winter. Given that everyone of the right age and sex can wear the same outfit at the same time when it's only been purchased once, I figure they have several sets of each item, so they do change daily - you just can't tell.
Scholar
#23 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 11:58 PM
While I like the sims to match the mediveal-ish hood of mine --- somewhat, I only change when they transition to a new age stage usually. The girls wear gown dresses and guys pants I don't need to worry that much of them being seasonal appropriate.

Beside, although I love clothes/makeup and anything visual in real life, its take too much time when playing the game, when you have SIX HUNDRED playables to deal with and its not a game feature I focusing on, (for me storytelling and genetics), changing once they grow up is enough for me, along with the other occasions clothes, sometimes they are merged (i.e underwear/pjamas, formal as everyday for wealthy sims) thanks to CC clothing (the maxi/defaults are hidden). For winter they wear their outerwear more frequently, for summer swimsuits or sport clothes..
Scholar
#24 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 12:03 AM
My Sims only get outfit changes when they go through a significant life change such as marrying or moving house - or if someone in the house wants to buy clothes (in which case everyone in the household's getting a different outfit, if that's available in their dresser or someone brings back an outfit they like the look of). I assume that whatever outfit they are wearing at a time is typical of their tastes in that sort of item, so don't feel the need to change it very often.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
http://modthesims.info/t/592347

Oh, I searched but didn't see it

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 1 of 3