Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2006 at 10:04 PM
*almost* Perfect hair mesh.
Hi Low Everyone it has been a long time since i have posted here fo a long time because I have taken tiggers advice. Here is my problem I made a farley nice mesh and actually... but when i move it around to see the Head is see through. (see screens.)

Here is what i did step by step.

1) did the normal prodecdures to get a mesh ready for editing up until the part where you actually edit the mesh.

2) extracted the gmdc file. Then opened milkshape.

3) I then selected the hair part of the mesh in milkshape and duplecated it.

4)after that i edited the mesh a little. I snapped some verticies.

5) After i edited i was ready to regroup.

6)I copied comment and regrouped both the hair and the hair duplecate. I pasted the comment and pressed ok.

7)Now I was ready to export but i had to use uni mesh fix underweight bones.

8)Now im ready to export. So i did.

9)So i open up SimPE *again* and replace the new file. I hit commit then save.

10) And i opend up body shop. then i went downstairs to eat cheezez.

11)when i came back up body shop was opened. I went to custom hair and was so happy i jumped for joy. But when i moved it around i could see part of the pony tail right throught the face like thhe screen below.

I know there is probably some solution to this that i just overlooked but im sure i thuroly explained this.

~~JON~~
Screenshots
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th May 2006 at 10:14 PM
First of all, thanks for giving more info this time on how you got to the point where you had the problem. It makes it a lot easier to discern where you might've done something wrong.

Secondly, that looks like it's probably a transparency problem. Check out this link in the Infocenter: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131417

Go into your mesh file and check the GMDC and make sure the transparencies are all correct for your different layers. With the GMDC selected, click on the "Groups" tab in Plugin view and then under Group Selection select each of your groups and make sure all of their settings are correct in the "Opacity" field.

It's a little complicated, but you basically just need to make sure that hairalpha3 (or whatever your #3 group is called) has an opacity of 0x00000003, that hairalpha5 (or whatever the #5 group is called) has an opacity of 0x00000005, etc., since it doesn't look like you're making any major changes to the mesh which would require any acrobatics with groups.

Also mentioned on that link is making sure your bone assignments are correct... If you're editing straight off a fresh Maxis mesh, the ponytail may still be assigned to b_hair (the back animation bone for hair). Try assigning your whole mesh 100% to head at first and see if that helps too. I'll usually start with everything assigned 100% to head to make sure that works okay and then worry about assigning the vertices at the back of the neck correctly... usually 50% neck/50% head (although it depends on the age and gender and hairstyle too, exactly how that should end up).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2006 at 10:36 PM
Thank You Sooooooooooooooooooo Much I Just Made My First Working Custom Mesh!

Do you want...
Awsome free content?
Great Community Members?
Sims Sentral Has It All!!Join Today!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th May 2006 at 10:42 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 12th May 2006 at 10:50 PM.
What ended up being the problem?

Also, I highly suggest you get and read the Unimesh manual - It's certainly not light reading and it's rather complex, but it explains a lot of concepts that will be very helpful as you go further in meshing, and even if you don't quite understand every little thing at first, it might stick in your head when you're struggling with something and ya might remember something useful in it that would apply later on down the line.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th May 2006 at 11:00 PM Last edited by spmjcom : 12th May 2006 at 11:14 PM.
The problem was the bone assignment.
Screenshots

Do you want...
Awsome free content?
Great Community Members?
Sims Sentral Has It All!!Join Today!