Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 3:36 PM Last edited by Littlekitten : 19th Jan 2006 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Changed the Link.
"Meshing" Doubts
Hello Everyone! :wave:

Welcome to my first and only thread so far. I've recently registered and decided to post a few questions:

- What's the main DIFFERENCE between WDS Brianna's mesh tutorial ( Right here ) and NeptuneSuzy's Clothing Meshes tutorial ( Click here ). Besides the fact that Brianna's tutorial doesn't involve adding or removing vertices. I mean which is the best, and why.

- What can you "do" with Brianna's tutorial?I mean can you extend sim's hair, shorten dresses, slieves? Can you do those things without adding/removing vertices?

-Can a mesh "damage" or mess up your game?

FINALLY:
Any particular warning you would like to make.

Thank so much for your help!
Please help me with "this" for I really love making sim clothing and wished to try and make my own meshes!

MissSimCity @ Thesims3.com
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 4:05 PM
Ist...the Suzy link is broken...I found it here.

http://www.personal-computer-tutor....clothingtut.htm

Suzy's is newer, SimPE is more recent, AND she shows how to use Milkshape. Glad you posted it here...I'm going to try it. I've used Brianna's and it fairly easy to follow but needed an older version of SimPE so it was a bit confusing...

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 4:18 PM
Sorry about the link!
I'm Glad you found the right one!I think I'll go for suzy's too, still I'm not so sure about removing/adding vertices...I'm kind of afraid it might mess up my game.

Anyway, Takes for your help!

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 8:24 PM
The two use fundamentally different tools. Suzy's uses bodychop (although I believe in the tutorial the secondary bone assignments are deleted) and the Bri's uses Meshtool. Suzy's does use the newer SimPE interface. Brianna's you need to use SimPE CLASSIC in order to follow it step by step - it's a much older tutorial.

Each has its limitations. And there is a new tool in testing right now that is intended to replace bodychop.
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 7:02 AM
I think that using the Brianna tutorial is probably better for beginner's. It's true that it uses older versions of Simpe--but I have continued to use that method for 80% of the mesh work I've done.
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 9:04 AM
And don't worry about damaging your game with a mesh. You are creating your mesh in it's own separate little .package, you are not going to mess with the internal game files at all.

The worst that can happen if you make a mistake is for your new mesh to not show up, or it might look weird. It can't harm your game, and you can just remove it from the game if it doesn't look right.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 10:48 PM
Default Nooooooooooo!
Thank you for your help!

But right now I have...

a Huge PRoBlem!!! :-(

I've finsihed my second mesh( first hair mesh following Shar's Tutorial -You can see it here ) everything was going fine, untill I got to the part where I had to edit the mesh! I started assigning hair parts to the "bones" but I didn't add any new faces/or Vertices( Mess up completly didn't I?)
And then when I was exporting the mesh, there was an "error" refering to BODY 1, I didn't gave much importance to it and carried on. Went to SimPE, finished the tutorial, opened BodyShop and whenn I click on Custom Content Hairstyles, Bodyshop crashes and I have to press crtl + alt+ delete( and "end" the program- Bodyshop)

I'm totally freakin' out!Sorry guys, but can anyone help me at all?
Thanks!

:jaw: :argh:

Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 1:23 AM
really simple fix... go to where you saved the mesh and move it out of the file. You can either delete it and start over or move it and try to save it.

Quote: Originally posted by Littlekitten
Thank you for your help!

But right now I have...

a Huge PRoBlem!!! :-(

I've finsihed my second mesh( first hair mesh following Shar's Tutorial -You can see it here ) everything was going fine, untill I got to the part where I had to edit the mesh! I started assigning hair parts to the "bones" but I didn't add any new faces/or Vertices( Mess up completly didn't I?)
And then when I was exporting the mesh, there was an "error" refering to BODY 1, I didn't gave much importance to it and carried on. Went to SimPE, finished the tutorial, opened BodyShop and whenn I click on Custom Content Hairstyles, Bodyshop crashes and I have to press crtl + alt+ delete( and "end" the program- Bodyshop)

I'm totally freakin' out!Sorry guys, but can anyone help me at all?
Thanks!

:jaw: :argh:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 6:43 PM
Thanks a LOT! The problem was now fixed( I deleted all the files!)

But I still dunno what I did wrong...I moved vertices and assigned to the bones.Was I supossed to assign only to new vertices/faces?(That I created)

Or should I edit other groups?(on the groups tab)
What should I change/do so that my mesh works?

Thanks again!:D