Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:36 AM
Default need help with changing properties of an object
I have downloaded an awesome looking stove for my game, but it is cheap and sims get Uneven Cooking moodlet almost every time they eat meals made on it. I tried all in-game methods I could figure out but that didn't help. My cooking sim has NaturalCook and Perfectionist traits, she has maxed her cooking skill, she uses only perfect ingredients and the stove is upgraded with "Improve meal quality" upgrade and I get perfect quality food, which still gives that annoying moodlet. So I think the only thing to do is to alter the package file of the stove. But I'm new to modding so I would appreciate it very much if someone could tell how it could be done or stick my nose into some related tutorial.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:45 AM
I think the best way to do this is probably to open the OBJK and change the scriptclass to point to the class for the expensive stove. Then it will use the expensive stove's tuning.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 6:00 PM
Thank you for your help! I tried to do it but the edited stove just refuses to appear in game catalog
I edited OBJK in S3PE using "Edit OBJK" button and using grid (changed StoveCheap to StoveExpensive and to StoveModern), then I found that in OBJD there is a line Unknown1 which says StoveCheap so I tried to edit it too. I even tried to change the price in OBJD to match in-game expensive and modern stoves, but no matter what I do the stove doesn't appear in game. I've checked room and function category flags but they are all the same as the original.
I think I'm doing something wrong because I tried to change OBJK of another stove which doesn't have that Unknown1 thing in it's OBJD and it disappeared from the catalog too
#4 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 6:32 PM
No, don't change the string in the OBJD! Leave the OBJD alone. In order to change the OBJK string you need to find the proper name for the expensive stove's ScriptClass, which can be done by making a temporary clone of the expensive stove and opening it in S3PE to copy the scriptclass. You can have two instances of S3PE open at once to make copying easy.

Go back to your safe copy of this stove and start over, not touching anything except the scriptclass.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 7:44 PM
I think I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what is it so please let me describe what exactly I've done and maybe you'll see where I'm wrong.
I've opened my cheap stove, opened OBJK using the grid, then pressed ... to the right of ComponentData. In the new window I pressed [1] CDTString and on the right side there was a line saying "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Appliances.Mimics.StoveCheap". Then I've opened the expensive stove and did all the same. I've copied it's scriptclass (Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Appliances.Mimics.StoveModern) and pasted it instead of the old in my cheap stove OBJK. Then I've pressed OK, Commit and saved changes to the package. And this new package refuses to show up in game.
Ive tried to do the opposite and to change the scriptclass of the expensive stove to the scriptclass from the cheap one with the same result - the changed object stops showing in the catalog. As soon as I change the scriptclass back it appears in game again.
Thank you for your patience and helping to such a noob as I am
#6 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:25 PM
It sounds right, but it should have worked. It works for chairs! What version of S3PE are you using?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:40 PM Last edited by MargeMarge : 5th Jul 2010 at 10:04 PM.
The exe is named s3pe_1006-12-1808, I've just reloaded and reinstalled it yesterday.

EDIT: I've just tried to do it with chairs and they disappeared from the game too
#8 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:03 PM
I give up then! Maybe this method doesn't work on stoves

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 11:36 PM
I suspect that the original objects may have been made in TSRW, then when editing in S3PE it somehow corrupts them and they no longer show in the catalog. This is an old problem and in another thread this is a comment that Buzzler made about breaking packages.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:26 AM
Try cloning the stove with s3oc. Untick the box to renumber internally. Then try editing the clone with s3pe. I had to do that with Rabbithole rugs I was trying to make available on residential lots. When I tried to edit the original file it didn't work, but when I cloned it first it worked fine. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!