Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 6:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Recolors not showing up?
Yesterday I noticed a custom sofa's recolors I know I had installed didn't show up in-game. I checked my dl folder and there they were, but they didn't show up in-game. I generated a new TS2 folder and added only the sofa and it's recolors, started sims and there they showed up. I closed sims, took out 50% of my cc, started sims and repeated the process yeah you know the drill until I found the guilty file. To my surprise, it was a different custom object's merged recolors? I deleted the guilty file but when I started sims again, the problem was back. I downloaded the "guilty" recolors and re-merged them, but that didn't work either. I solved the problem by deleting the sofa's merged recolors and re-downloading them without merging them. When I started sims after this, they showed up but instead I noticed recolors for other custom objects I have installed didn't show up. Now I'm afraid that my merged recolor files have started to conflict or something. Nearly all recolors I have in-game are merged and I would like it to keep it that way :/

I'm so confused as to why merged recolors of different object would conflict or cancel each other out? I have CEP installed and maxis recolors show up just fine so that's not my problem, my problem is only regarding recolors of custom objects.

Any thoughts? I'm 100% completely lost, I have no idea at all!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 7:04 PM
I merge everything and I never had this issue.
maybe there's a guid conflict with the custom sofas?
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._GUID_Conflicts

if you could post a link to the objects/recolors you're having problems with i can check them.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 7:32 PM
Outside of GUID conflicts (which is the most likely), it could be that the objects are changed via the CEP or a CEP-Extra file, so they don't pick up the recolors correctly. That merged file may have something going on, too.

You'll also want to check the names of the files. If two files have the same name, the game will only read one of them. Same goes for if the reolors are using the same instances. Checking the GUIDs is a good idea, too. For recolors you'll find it in the MMAT.

Custom sofas are likely to cause GUID conflicts if they're not properly set up. They need to have all GUIDs changed from the original sofa (usually 2-4 for seating/beds). And if the wrong GUID is updated with the tick box, the MMAT won't pick up the proper recolors, but the object may still show ingame (all GUIDs should be changed, but only the main GUID should be updated with the tick box, it's usually the one with all the category references).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cows
I merge everything and I never had this issue.
maybe there's a guid conflict with the custom sofas?
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._GUID_Conflicts

if you could post a link to the objects/recolors you're having problems with i can check them.

@cow I've never had any problems with merged files either, it's weird that it started now sorry for being unclear, I didn't say what kind of object the "guilty recolors" belonged to since I actually forgot what object it was lol but it wasn't a sofa, it was a sculpture or something I believe. This is the sofa and it's recolor I was talking about though!

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Outside of GUID conflicts (which is the most likely), it could be that the objects are changed via the CEP or a CEP-Extra file, so they don't pick up the recolors correctly. That merged file may have something going on, too.

You'll also want to check the names of the files. If two files have the same name, the game will only read one of them. Same goes for if the reolors are using the same instances. Checking the GUIDs is a good idea, too. For recolors you'll find it in the MMAT.

Custom sofas are likely to cause GUID conflicts if they're not properly set up. They need to have all GUIDs changed from the original sofa (usually 2-4 for seating/beds). And if the wrong GUID is updated with the tick box, the MMAT won't pick up the proper recolors, but the object may still show ingame (all GUIDs should be changed, but only the main GUID should be updated with the tick box, it's usually the one with all the category references).

@simmer22 Shit I didn't know you couldn't have files with the same names, I've been lazely renaming my merged files lately so many of them are just called "rec" now (but in different folders ofc). I'll rename them and see if that solves it!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 8:46 PM
Naming is quite important.

I once wracked my brain to figure out why someone's recolor files didn't work. Then I took one look a the filename, and knew instantly. The file was named omething like "blue.1.package". Removing the extra punctuation mark (possibly a bit more renaming) fixed the file. I've also seen other files with similarly simple names or certain other characters that don't work very well with filenames not show up.

Not sure if it's a problem if folders have the same names, but it is a problem if files have the same name. The game only reads the last file if it finds several similar file.

Filenames work best if they only consist of Aa-Zz and - and _ and 0-9 (with ".package" at the end).
Other characters, including extra punctuation marks, can potentially cause the file to not be read or (with a significal amount of them in various files) it can potentially cause some lag, but this is still a little unsure.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 8:50 PM
@vegan_kaktus those are actually my recolors, so i'll check out what's the issue. i'm sorry you're having problems with it.
ha! we posted at the same time. i'm glad you solved the issue.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Naming is quite important.

I once wracked my brain to figure out why someone's recolor files didn't work. Then I took one look a the filename, and knew instantly. The file was named omething like "blue.1.package". Removing the extra punctuation mark (possibly a bit more renaming) fixed the file. I've also seen other files with similarly simple names or certain other characters that don't work very well with filenames not show up.

Not sure if it's a problem if folders have the same names, but it is a problem if files have the same name. The game only reads the last file if it finds several similar file.

Filenames work best if they only consist of Aa-Zz and - and _ and 0-9
Other characters, including extra punctuation marks, can potentially cause the file to not be read or (with a significal amount of them in various files) it can potentially cause some lag (but this is still a little unsure).

It does make sense now that I read it. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't realize this sooner haha! Welp anyway, renaming the files (which were all named "rec.package" facepalm) fixed my problem! Thank you both for helping me :^)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cows
@vegan_kaktus those are actually my recolors, so i'll check out what's the issue. i'm sorry you're having problems with it.
ha! we posted at the same time. i'm glad you solved the issue.

Hahah yes! Thank you though :^D