Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#976 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 1:03 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 6th Aug 2017 at 1:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
They look stunning!

Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
They're absolutely gorgeous! I still really like the red one, if I had TS4 I'd be very inclined to build a house just for them!

Gratzie both of you.

I'm about to wrap up the Wentworth Woodhouse project. I just have a couple of walls to finish, and TSR uses a couple of weeks to approve 2 sets of walls? Looking at it I uploaded on aug 2'nd so perhaps I'm just being impatient. I still have 2 walls left to upload on TSR and it's ready for the house to go up. I'm going to use some time wrapping all the content used on the house. I just hate that part of the job ... The walls are uploaded on my simsfileshare as well, in case you would like them.

Then I just suddenly went on to something modern and don't quite like the style of it, so I went brutalisme. For some reason I thought it was appropriate.

It just looks so much better with an intense angle lol

It's on one of ts4's best lots in my opinion. This last development has not been posted on my blog yet.

Instead I have been focusing on this:

Do I really dear doing this insane yellow with gold for the Jacobean part of my Wentworth project?

It's a good thing I don't need to make a profile to sell, because it would be quite the confusing thing for a potential customer

I left you with the finished floorplan of this massive downscale.

Meanwhile I've decided to resurrect a creation inspired by the Patout-Broussard House in New Iberia, LA, from all the way back in 2014...
Back then I had trouble with the tower and the basement windows, see posts 371, 376 and 378, now I'm still struggling with the tower and the fact that none of the upstairs rooms were big enough to take a double bed, and so I've had to enlarge the whole house to rectify this, in the process I decided to cease the use of fireplaces with the MoveObjects cheat to remove the chimneys as it causes me more grief than its worth to me and so I also had to find room for the chimneys. Rather than make the house wider I've opted to make it deeper which has worked out nicely, but that tower is still a thorn in my side!

I liked the tower with bigger and higher windows. The tower roof with more simple shape in post 376, screenshot 870 perhaps, but then 869 is also quite nice me thinks. It can be too complicated too, but then I'm a sucker for simplicity ... most of the time.

3 Bed, 2 Bath. I'm not sure what I had in mind. Appears Folk-ish Gothic to me It's interior leans towards Folk Victorian.

I like that detail above the 3 windows on the front upper floor ... and the hole house is quite lovely. As long as it looks good together, hybrid can be very nice ... or fusion as I like to call it.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#977 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 2:12 PM
How do you get rid of floating ceiling tiles again? I'm having this big overhanging roof with a few spots without any support, and I haven't had these floating shits out of reach for a very long time.

Blocking the skylight.
Screenshots

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#978 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 5:48 PM
Can't you hold down shift or something and right click on the roof it's attached to. You may have to use testingcheats as well.

Tsyokawe said to remove tiles and export to the library, then replace 3 times. Then it should be stable.
Alchemist
#979 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:31 PM
No more floating ceilings, I did something different in my frustration, but it it worked lol

#980 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:41 PM
absolutely amazing work!!!

Quick question: what program do you guys use to do quick edits of ll your screenshots?

C.T.HOLKO88
Alchemist
#981 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:48 PM
@TudorMan23
I use Irfanview (Free). Just for compressing pictures so I can upload them on MTS without losing too much quality or having to resize.
Other than that you can do plenty with it.
GIMP is good and free, too.

#982 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 11:42 PM
I use Lightroom to make a preset and then save it ready made with logo accoring to project. There's nothing fast about learning it though, and it costs. Probably not what you're looking for.

Bravo, anything to learn from your frustration with the floating tiles?
Alchemist
#983 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Bravo, anything to learn from your frustration with the floating tiles?

Hmmmno not really, because I have no clue what I did.

#984 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 12:32 AM
@TudorMan23
I use Irfanview (Free). Just for compressing pictures so I can upload them on MTS without losing too much quality or having to resize.
Other than that you can do plenty with it.
GIMP is good and free, too.

Thanks I'll give them a try!
and then post pics of my courtyard chateau im finished I just need a good name for it!

C.T.HOLKO88
Alchemist
#985 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 8:48 PM
I'm surprised to see my latest upload in trending

#986 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 9:36 PM
And here are a few shots of my courtyard chateau inspired by the Gilded Age!

Just need a good name for my Chateaux
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#987 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:28 PM
How do you get rid of floating ceiling tiles again?

Placing and then deleting the corresponding floor tiles should also remove the floating ceiling tiles.
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
And here are a few shots of my courtyard chateau inspired by the Gilded Age!

Looks cool! Have you considered doing all of the external wall coverings in the lighter coloured covering?
Do I really dear doing this insane yellow with gold for the Jacobean part of my Wentworth project?

OMG, yes! I adore that yellow/gold wall-covering. :lovestruc
The whole place looks amazing!
Top Secret Researcher
#988 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:30 PM
Hi TudorMan
This is a very fine chateau. You are an excellent builder. I have one suggestion, building on what Fergus said. The multicolored bricks that you have used on the exterior may look good in game, but they don't show well in pictures. I am assuming you are considering uploading this gem, and pictures are the only thing downloaders have to go by, so pics are what really sell the lot. I would consider swapping out the bricks for something that photographs better.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Forum Resident
#989 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 12:35 AM
@Fergus' Mind and @attuned
I have thought about making the house all the lighter brick! It just does not look right to me!
I might change it just for the pics and let them know which one they are downloading

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#990 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 29th Aug 2017 at 7:52 PM.
So I have another unfinished masterpiece to add to my collection, Netherharrow Hall, this time very much inspired by Volvenom's upcoming Wentworth Woodhouse project and cutsocks' Kedleston Hall and also my own personal grand tour of English country houses such as Haddon Hall, Hardwick Hall, Chatsworth House and Belton House. I wanted to create an expansive country house with all the luxury you'd expect from one, although I soon realised in game that it was going to be too ambitious so I decided to scale back my ambitions and instead chose to take inspiring from the design and story of a house I've yet to visit; Claydon House, once a much larger mansion with two flanking wings, the majority of it was demolished leaving behind one of the flanking wings which was then adapted for continued use.

I'm also going to try and figure out how to do a more convincing glass dome/roof for the main stairwell. On the back of the house I'm going to bolt on some later additions to show how it has evolved after the central portion and other flanking wing were demolished and this remaining wing was altered for permanent residency rather than being just for guests.
Then going back to Polstuart, I've finished the garderobe bathroom, long galleries and ballroom, and pretty much the rest of the interior, I just need to test it and take more pictures
Instructor
#991 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 1:36 AM
Lurker here again:P

Hope you will remember the miracolous trick for floating tile destruction one day and share it with us Johnny_Bravo:D.

I absolutely adore your houses Fergus' mind. I cant decide which one I like more, they are both really gorgeous I was wondering though that the ceilings on the interiors are a bit too light. Is it your preference or is this a specific feature of the architecture style you are going for? At first glance I thought you actually forgot to paint them. Could you maybe consider making them a bit darker or add some darker ornament to the sides where it meets the columns or in the middle?

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
dodgy builder
#992 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 2:54 PM
So I have another unfinished masterpiece to add to my collection, Netherharrow Hall, this time very much inspired by Volvenom's upcoming Wentworth Woodhouse project and cutsocks' Kedleston Hall and also my own personal grand tour of English country houses such as Haddon Hall, Hardwick Hall, Chatsworth House and Belton House. I wanted to create an expansive country house with all the luxury you'd expect from one, although I soon realised in game that it was going to be too ambitious so I decided to scale back my ambitions and instead chose to take inspiring from the design and story of a house I've yet to visit; Claydon House, once a much larger mansion with two flanking wings, the majority of it was demolished leaving behind one of the flanking wings which was then adapted for continued use.

I was on a stroll yesterday with a group of people interested in old buildings in Oslo. An historian did the talking. He showed different decorations on regular usually neoclassisme apartment buildings at Bislet, around the stadium. Some buildings were also very nice funkis or modernist buildings from around 1920-30. He showed us how buildings that looked dirty and unloved were sometimes the loveliest examples of period architecture. Once they start doing them up, they lose lots of period features. It lastes for 2 hours, I was exhausted. For that reason I would prefer the one where you have tried some period features above the windows etc. I would have given it a more lively color though, or at least some contrast.

I'm also going to try and figure out how to do a more convincing glass dome/roof for the main stairwell.

This might not work at all. If you have used the biggest lot though, perhaps it still will. Blooms dome? ... have you heard about it?

The video is ancient and the size of the house I'm building is gigantic, just turn the music off and watch what it looks like. I updated the description for the video, so the link should now work.

PS: @Crowkeeper did I mix up you and Tsyokawe? I keep doing that
dodgy builder
#993 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 3:13 PM
I managed to get on with another laborintensive farm project on an industrial style, modernized. It started with Icemunmun's canning station. It of course had to be released when I just had to get on with finishing up and upload Wentworth.

This is the room for canning. The farm will be VERY big. It has 3 floors.

Lots of plants from chocolate etc, etc. Should save me having to actually eat it, as it would make me real plumpy

It's looking very industrial, but at the same time I want it to look like a luxurious place.
Screenshots
Scholar
#994 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crowkeeper
I was wondering though that the ceilings on the interiors are a bit too light. Is it your preference or is this a specific feature of the architecture style you are going for? At first glance I thought you actually forgot to paint them. Could you maybe consider making them a bit darker or add some darker ornament to the sides where it meets the columns or in the middle?

You had to go and poke the bear...
I've been round and made some a bit darker, but the trouble is the lighting; it seems very changeable and so in some lights them seem too light and then in others they seem too dark, so I'm trying to find a happy medium, which as you can see still isn't quite there yet. (if that makes any sense?)

I was on a stroll yesterday with a group of people interested in old buildings in Oslo. An historian did the talking. He showed different decorations on regular usually neoclassicism apartment buildings at Bislet, around the stadium. Some buildings were also very nice funkis or modernist buildings from around 1920-30. He showed us how buildings that looked dirty and unloved were sometimes the loveliest examples of period architecture. Once they start doing them up, they lose lots of period features. It lasts for 2 hours, I was exhausted. For that reason I would prefer the one where you have tried some period features above the windows etc. I would have given it a more lively color though, or at least some contrast.

In a place like Oslo that sounds like it would be very interesting indeed. If you're interested, those "period features above the windows" are called Swag(s) or Festoon(s).
This might not work at all. If you have used the biggest lot though, perhaps it still will. Blooms dome? ... have you heard about it?

Thanks for the suggestion, although that particular example is too big for my needs in this case.
I managed to get on with another laborintensive farm project on an industrial style, modernized. It started with Icemunmun's canning station. It of course had to be released when I just had to get on with finishing up and upload Wentworth.
It's looking very industrial, but at the same time I want it to look like a luxurious place.

Ha! Well isn't that always the way? Just as soon as we got close to finishing and uploading one creation we're swept away by a new project altogether.
It's looking very good so far, certainly has a luxurious vibe.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#995 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 9:00 PM

You had to go and poke the bear...

I couldn't help but laugh and think of something like 'Thanks ObamaCrowkeeper'. I'm sorry.

#996 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 2:55 AM Last edited by Crowkeeper : 2nd Sep 2017 at 3:25 AM.
Oh did that happen after you tried to change the colour? I am so sorry But I think my game punished me for this:

Edit: I know what you mean with the lighting changing on the ceilings even though I never had that happen on interiors. But I am constantly figting with it at CFED roofs too:
Screenshots

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Forum Resident
#997 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 10:14 PM
Before and after
I think i like the after better! It was too much of the red/brown stone
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Instructor
#998 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:25 PM
Hey all!

So I'm trying to hit up the bi-monthly theme again. And it's maternity... ew... babies...

So to pair this up with my ongoing goal of making RH rug friendly community lots, I'm making a hospital! And it'a a Victorian/Second Empire monstrosity! (To be honest, I wasted all of August trying to come up with an Art Nouveau thing, inspired by MackIntosh's School of Art in Glasgow. But that went nowhere, and I came up with nothing despite many, many attempts.)

Anywho, some backstory about previously being one of those convent hospitals where they sent unmarried mothers-to-be to have their shameful sin babies or whatever--hence the prominent chapel and cloistered quadrangle part and possibly because it could pass for a prison or lunatic asylum. And I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a hospital and thought, "this needs more gargoyles," 'cause nothing establishes faith in recovering like winged demons looming over porticos.

That octagonal room with the cupola is the operating room operating theater operating theatre. It's my favorite bit. :D
dodgy builder
#999 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:42 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:30 PM.
Oh! @Cutsocks ! Go'n check out the ts3 discussion forum. Nitromon has been testing combining residential and community with rabbitholes. You could have a boardingschool, that would make your big lot so much more useful. Elynda is working with it too.

... or a hospital on a residential lot.
Alchemist
#1000 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:44 PM
@Cutsocks I'm fascinated by the octagonal + cupola bit. Won't the roof pop up or down after placing/replacing the building?

Page 40 of 98