Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 9:03 AM
Default Shopping
I love it when my playable sims go shopping on their own and buy stuff. I use it to decorate their houses. How do they decide what to buy. Sometimes they buy several of the same thing which doesnt seem to make sense, especially when they visit the bargain shop which has lots of cheap stuff.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 12:03 PM
It's fun seeing what kind of stuff is in their inventory when you get to their house. Malcolm Landgraab bought a dog, an elderly one at that, and I worked that into his personality.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 1:15 PM
I have a lot of shops and love seeing what sims have bought. Some things I use to decorate with or give as gifts, sometimes when they buy glasses I will put a pair on the sim. Other items I just delete especially when they buy three of them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I have a lot of shops and love seeing what sims have bought. Some things I use to decorate with or give as gifts, sometimes when they buy glasses I will put a pair on the sim. Other items I just delete especially when they buy three of them.

how do you sell glasses
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 10:33 PM
I think she means decorative glasses? I'm curious as well.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 11:01 PM
The hospital sells glasses in a case, they are a deco object; if a sim has a pair in inventory I figure they either need reading glasses or bought a new pair for a family member who does.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 11:51 PM
I never thought about that! Maybe I should set up more furniture and knick knack places to see what they come home with. I like adding little randoms to the game when I can, and this seems like a fun one!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 12:02 AM
I like to set up a shop selling the most hideous* item I can find, set to expensive. Then it's a mission to get that item into every single neighbourhood character's inventory.

* Usually this one:
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 12:08 AM
In Hazelton, my self-sim ran a bookshop (requires a mod, faiuwile or however you spell it, I think?) and several of my other Sims had multiple copies of the same book. I just made them give the spare ones away as gifts.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 12:22 AM
A long time ago I had a funeral parlor that sold a corpse under a sheet. back then I had a lot of simselves from Boolprop forums and I had fun seeing which ones would go buy a corpse.

I do the same thing with the Bible, if a sim buys one I figure they are a member of the local church. So marriages and funerals will take place at the church for them.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#11 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 12:30 AM
In one of my custom hoods (that I mostly use to mess around in and do challenges), I tried my hand at creating a lot of fantasy sims that lived off the land. I made the mistake of stuffing their family funds while I experimented with how to furnish their living space. One of the many kids took a liking to shopping in my farmer's business. He kept buying quilts! So when I got back to the fantasy lot, I changed a corresponding number of beds to have quilts.

Not many of my playables end up with items in their inventory. But that's because I don't take my sims out to shops very often, so other playables don't get a chance to spawn and buy things. I really need to try and take them out to community lots more.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 1:05 AM
If you play the owner of the shop, that is when other playables come to buy things. If you send them there they can't make purchases without you telling them what to buy. That kind of takes the fun out of opening their inventory and seeing what they decided to buy when you are not controlling them.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#13 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 1:25 AM
I was speaking of playables I'm not currently controlling that spawn on unowned community lots as visitors, along with Townies. For some reason, I thought they could autonomously buy from those places. If they can only buy from an owned shop while I'm playing the owner, that explains it even more, as I generally have very few of those.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 1:32 AM
You can't sell things like deco objects from unowned stores. You need an owner to set them for sale. Certainly if you take a playable to another playable's store a few uncontrolled playables will purchase items, but the sim you take would have to just hang around quite awhile to allow for that. If they just went in and bought and left it would not give the others much chance to buy at all. When you are playing the shop owner loads of playables will buy items.

The things that can be bought from unowned shops is found in the community sort. Clothes, pets, magazines, grocery's, jewelry, perfume, pc games. I think that is all, nothing interesting.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 1:47 AM
Actually I get quite a lot of surprising things in my sims inventories, because my sims do spend quite a lot of time at any lot they visit. Also I like to crowd shelves with different items, so it's not always immediately obvious what's being sold and my mind can't track what's missing, even when I'm running the owner. And you can't tell what jewelry is being bought from the stand, or - when you're not recommending an outfit - what clothes are being bought.

Mostly the autonomous sims buy things that are small, cheap, and reasonable - books in bookstores, makeup and jewelry and occasionally clothes in boutiques, kitchen clutter and sometimes food in grocery stores. If sims buy surprising things I take it as a message. Mary Land bought make-up and condoms - she must want to spruce herself up and wait a little while before conceiving again. Cyd Roseland and Julian Cooke, housemates, keep buying condoms, too, even though neither has a girlfriend - they are clearly nagging me to hurry and fix them up! The first thing River Land bought when he grew to teen was also a box of condoms (Junior has them set to "ridiculously cheap"), which was darned optimistic of him, given that I don't have a teen woohoo mod. When sloppy sims buy personal hygiene products I let them fix themselves up nicer. When a single sim buys diapers, cribs, or toys I look for who among their breeder friends is impoverished, or examine their life for other indications that they might be interested in adopting or breeding.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 1:51 AM
Lol, now I have to go add some condoms to my hospital pharmacy. I found some by StrangeTomato.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#17 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 2:49 AM
Both dogs and books have been mentioned, so I was thinking more general than just deco items. The stuff you and Peni mentioned are things that can be sold on an unowned lot (clothes, cologne, magazines, food, etc.) and I thought some of them could be bought autonomously. I could have sworn I've seen uncontrolled playables help themselves to food and pets. I vaguely recall going to a playable's lot and being greeted with an announcement that they had bought a pet, even though that was something I never instructed them to do. This was after I had taken another household to a lot with an unowned pet store. This did happen a while ago, so maybe I'm not remembering something correctly. I don't think I've ever bought a pet at a pet store. I use the phone pet adoption service when I want a cat or dog, or buy direct from the catalogue for birds and womrats.

Regardless, it basically comes back to what I said. I have a tendency not to take my playables to shops, owned or not, very often, so my other playables don't have a chance to spawn and buy things. And I run extremely few owned shops, so that lessens the chances even further since I'm not playing owners.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 3:01 AM
Yes, I made a list above of what can be bought autonomously on unowned lots. Only things under shopping in the community lot sort. They can't buy deco, build or usable items from other categories as it needs a playable to set them for sale. Books also no, only the magazines off the rack. They can be bought autonomously but only if your sim stays at the shop long enough.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 3:17 AM
Oh, I love running gardening shops, and seeing what plants/trees the pixels like to buy-I love landscaping their places, too.

I now have a working pharmacy as well-stocked with pill bottles of varying drugs-lorazepam, diazepam and the like...I like to think they got the prescriptions from the doctor and had to get them filled there. Lots of anxious and depressed pixels in my town, that's for sure!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 3:32 AM
My sims always seem to be buying pain killers and diet pills... They do eat a lot of sparkling food.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 4:15 AM
I find that if I go to the pet store for anything, somebody in the background always turns up with a pet later; sometimes two or three people, if I went to get a pet and spend some time there.

I almost always say "yes."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#22 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 4:36 AM
Sorry, Jo, and thanks.

I keep thinking I should do a pharmacy or clinic. I seem to remember someone made cold pills or something that could be used to treat illnesses? If so, it would be nice to have something besides comfort soup to use. The deco eyeglasses idea is kinda neat, too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 5:07 AM
pcsims has usable medications, with real affects. Suni has a vial the cures flu.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 5:39 AM
I just found the pcsims stuff on the Graveyard and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any advice on where to start and/or glitchy things to avoid?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 6:39 AM
The medicines are in the medical download. I use the Dr bag and medicines but dumped the NPC.

~Call me Jo~