Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#51 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 12:30 PM
I hope you will find the motivation to continue. Been watching this post from the start! It's amazing to see how you have captured these illustrations into unique sim features! Make a little collage of the CC you are missing, then maybe people can help out!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Uhm... yeah... about that... Kinda hit a roadblock on some of the characters and it derailed my enthusiasm in finishing them. As you can see from the above posts, Cyril doesn't have proper hair. I have ZERO talent in re-texturing hair. I know *how* to do it, but I don't have the skill to pull it off. And to make it worse, in order to get the grey at JUST the temples, I would have to remap the hair texture to isolate that part. (almost ALL of that particular hair is mapped to one spot!!!)

Also, I don't have a proper mustache for Ray. And I don't have the right beard or hair for Dr. Kreiger. Believe me I have *tried* repeatedly to make convincing facial hair and have failed horribly at it. I get the concept, but I really just have no talent at drawing the textures.

Sooooo..... I'm stuck, you see. =( And sadly, I don't know anyone who does that sort of thing well enough to ask for collaboration/help. Anyway.. it kinda sucked the wind out of my creative sails, so to speak.

That's such a shame, but I totally understand.

I hope you'll consider releasing what you've managed to do so far, as I think you've done an incredible job, but I totally understand if you don't want to release something unfinished.
Instructor
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 5:19 PM
Wow... 8 months since this thread head an update... Yeah... about that... Kinda lost interest in the sims, I'm not gonna lie. But I don't know, I've kind of gotten a wild hair to at least LOOK at the sims again, so maybe there is still hope in this project getting finished.

I am still a little stumped on how to complete this crew since I have very paltry skills in making CC myself. As previously mentioned, I'm in need of a couple of things - Krieger's hair and beard and a version of Cyril's hair that I can get the gray just at the temples. Here are reference pictures of the two:

Krieger

Cyril

There is a cubic-sh*t-ton of other stuff I could "use"... weaponry for the poses, the shoulder holsters for Lana Kane, etc. I can live without those, but I think it's crucial to get the hair right for these guys or at least closer than what I've got. Anyway, not making any promises, but I thought I'd at least check in.
Screenshots
Scholar
#54 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 9:15 PM
Good to see you working on this again! Beard 3 here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=462806 is pretty close for Krieger. Or, this one: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=429193. There are a couple of hairs from supernatural that might not be too bad for Krieger. I didn't find anything very useful for Cyril. I'll keep looking.
Instructor
Original Poster
#55 Old 17th May 2017 at 3:43 AM
Hi! I'm back. At least for a while, we'll see how it goes. So, by way of an update... I am (painfully) trying to get a grip on making Krieger's beard since I've been unsuccessful in finding one that is "just right". It's VERY rough (this is attempt #2), but it's a start. I'm getting the hang of my little wacom tablet which has made it significantly easier for me than trying to draw with a mouse.

One of the things about going on hiatus is that sometimes new stuff gets made that works better than the old stuff you had and so I think I've located a better hair for Mallory, which I will post soon. I'm also laboring away at Cyril's hair problem. I may have found a solution to that, but we'll see. My only issue is that it's a store hair, and I still don't know if simply re-texturing it qualifies as significant enough of an "edit" to allow for it to be uploaded.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and check in. I'll have more/better updates soon. It's been a while, so I'm trying to get my bearings again, but it's all slowly coming back to me.

PS: Thanks, Simmy, for pointing out those other beards. There is one in the medieval set (#16 I think) that might work as a fall-back position in case mine doesn't work out.
Screenshots
Scholar
#56 Old 17th May 2017 at 6:00 AM
Good to see you back! Nice detail on the beard! The only thing I'd note is that the model's beard doesn't seem to go up under the nostrils like your creation. Probably a little thicker on the jawline, too. (I know it's early days yet, though.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#57 Old 18th May 2017 at 4:28 AM
@SimmyRN - Thanks! Yes, the beard is in it's very early stages. It was really an "Oh my gosh! I did something that wasn't completely horrible" moment. LOL. Now I have the basic mechanics down, I will start to refine it to match the model.

Here are potential new hairs for Malory. I wish the Mathilda one didn't have those bangs, because shape-wise it's pretty close. Those bangs just kill it though (for this sim). I'm leaning towards Studio or maybe Ms Fame because I feel like they are keeping with the character. But I dont' know...

And then here is another character that is in the very early stages - Mitsuko, Krieger's virtual girlfriend. I'm thinking I need to seriously tone down her hair color. Sorry for burning your retinas with that one. LOL

My to do list for the characters so far:
  • Krieger's Beard
  • Ray's Beard
  • Cyril's Hair (retexture)
  • Eyebrows for Archer (maybe)
Screenshots
Scholar
#58 Old 18th May 2017 at 4:48 AM
I think Alesso is the best choice for hair for Malory - it's pretty close. Nice start on the virtual girlfriend!
Instructor
Original Poster
#59 Old 20th May 2017 at 12:45 AM
I have been working on Krieger's beard and I think it's getting there finally. I also swapped out his hair. The widow's peaks aren't quite right or as receded as much as I'd like but it is by far the closest thing I've found and I think it looks pretty legit. I feel like he's finally getting somewhere.

I also worked on Mitsuko. She got a comlete overhaul. I left no slider un-tuned. lol And I worked on her hair tone too. I'm not sure what to do about her eyeliner situation though. Because of her unusually huge eyes, the winged eyeliner gets distorted. Also, that strawberry jam looking smear under her chin... that's something to do with her chin/mouth and the skin (though it is there no matter what skin I tried). I don't know what to do about it.
Screenshots
Scholar
#60 Old 21st May 2017 at 2:07 AM
I think the winged eyeliner looks fine. As far as the red under her lip, does playing with the lip / under lip / chin sliders help? (Sorry, I don't know much about custom skins or sliders.) The beard is looking closer! Good work! I think his nose needs to be shorter up and down, then his mouth moved up a little. Perhaps turn the nose tip up just a little. If you can move the cheekbones up some and, maybe, decrease the jowls to make the cheekbones more pronounced, that will help. That hair will work. I like the hair in post # 42 a bit better. But, I understand that you might not want to use the same one for two men. One of the Supernatural hairs, I think, has a great widow's peak but the hair itself is long. Rats! Eyes, eyebrows, mouth, ears and face shape look spot on to me! Great work!
Instructor
Original Poster
#61 Old 26th May 2017 at 9:05 PM
Thank you so much Simmy! I'm going to see if I can do a makeup/concealer for Mitsuko's chin (now that I know how). It really has something to do with the way her chin/mouth are sculpted. I've had it happen on other sims too - it's a distortion of the "shading" under the mouth on the skin texture. At least that is what I think based on similar distortions I'm seeing on my beard textures in that area. I also realized that Mitsuko's eyeliner should have a bit on the bottom lid, which I'm working on now.

As for Krieger - Yeeessssss! I've made headway with his beard! I pretty much have been focusing on that, but I did shorten his nose a bit and twiddle with his cheekbones. But I was so happy at getting somewhere with his beard I didn't take pictures of him at the right angles. My sim's has his chin tucked down pretty far. I wish I had a combo of the hair from #42 and the one he has one. This newer hair has the better look from the side, but the other one is better from the front. Anyway, I promise to take better pix next time.

I know I'm not posting many updates, but I am furiously working on this crew. I have a lot of projects underway (and a couple more characters I've not even started!)
  • Pam's back tattoo + possibly arm tattoo
  • Cyril's hair retexture (maybe)
  • Krieger's Beard (nearly done)
  • Ray's beard (in progress)
  • Mitsuko's eyeliner (in progress)
  • Mitsuko's hair flower (maybe)
  • Eyebrows for everyone (maybe)
  • Finish Krieger's sculpt
  • Finish Cyril's sculpt
  • Finish Mitsuko's sculpt
  • Start on Woodhouse
  • Start on Katya Kassanova
  • Start on Babou (the ocelot) (maybe)
  • (edit)Not to mention armaments and poses!!

Maybe I will have them done before Sims 5, ya think??
Screenshots

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
#62 Old 27th May 2017 at 2:33 AM
He looks good! Maybe increase/widen the nose above the nostrils some. The model looks like he has more "mass" to the end of his nose. Nose tip could be turned up more as well. Great work!
Instructor
Original Poster
#63 Old 31st May 2017 at 3:31 AM
It's not much of an update, but I've attempted re-texturing a hair to have just the grey at the temples for Cyril. Unfortunately, I cannot isolate the temple area (or at least I'm not skilled enough to isolate it). So I found another hair which was similar and I could get at the temple area. Just not sure it if captures the essence of "Cyril".. I may "flip" the hair (mirrored from what it is).

EDIT: I am going to see if I can get the grey a little higher, I just wanted to do a quick-n-dirty version to see if it would even look "right-ish".
Screenshots

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
#64 Old 31st May 2017 at 5:14 AM
I think that hair will work for Cyril. Good choice! I noticed that Cyril's face / head needs to be wider as does the nose at the nostrils. Maybe a bit more mass at the nose tip, too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#65 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 3:12 AM
Thanks Simmy. For some reason, I think that hair makes his head look smaller. I make some adjustments when I've back in game.

I think I may start an off-shoot thread centered around the custom content I'm working on for these sims, but I'm not sure if I should do that. I need feedback on the items (such as Krieger's beard) in terms of quality of the items (in addition to whether they are fitting for the characters). I figure on uploading the items separately anyway. I've been working on beards, eyebrows, mustaches, tattoos, eyeliner, hair re-texturing and various accessories (though, those aren't going so well..) Somewhere in there I actually need to get back to working on their feature sculpting. LOL

(PS - I bought a drawing tablet and it's made things a LOT easier for me to work on that stuff.)

EDIT: The list o' stuff:

• Pam's back tattoo - english & simlish versions [IN PROGRESS]
  • Pam's arm tattoo - english & simlish versions [IN PROGRESS]
  • Cyril's hair re-texture [IN PROGRESS]
  • Archer's tattoos (2) - english & simlish versions [IN PROGRESS]
  • Krieger's Beard [DONE]
  • Ray's beard [IN PROGRESS]
  • Mitsuko's eyeliner [IN PROGRESS]
  • Mitsuko's hair flower [IN PROGRESS] (but really sketchy at this point)
  • Eyebrows for everyone [IN PROGRESS] - Krieger/Ray's are done
  • Finish Krieger's sculpt
  • Finish Cyril's sculpt
  • Finish Mitsuko's sculpt
  • Start on Woodhouse
  • Start on Katya Kassanova
  • Start on Babou (the ocelot) (maybe)
  • Not to mention armaments and poses!!

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Test Subject
#66 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:35 PM
These are amazing! Ray and Pam are soooooo perfect in particular. I really hope you finish them I would love to have them for my game. I am so useless at making people they always look not human, like off somehow. I think people that can create likeness like this are spectacular.

P.S. Babou! How exotic! :P
Instructor
Original Poster
#67 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:42 AM
Thank you! Little love notes like this keep me going on this project. Ray is my personal fav, but I'm kinda fond of Sterling too. (His pictures and Lana's are in another thread. There is a link in the first post I think).

I am still working on them. I swear! I *really* do plan on uploading them. Promise! (When that may be is still sketchy...) I have all of the eyebrows and beards done I think. I'll post some pictures very soon. I've started on Katya Kasanova, but she isn't to a state worth showing yet. As soon as I get some poses I'm working on done, I'll be back at it. Thanks again!

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
Original Poster
#68 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:10 PM
Believe it or not, I am still alive, still simming, still lurking in the shadows, and still working on this crew. I know it's been 6 months since I last posted an updated. I've been (arduously) learning the skills to make some of the missing components, such as frankenmeshing, custom tattoo making, facial hair texturing, etc. since I had no luck finding what I needed for some of these characters. I haven't been posting much of that progress here, since it's just a bunch of me making a whole lot of crappy mistakes. LOL Once I have some things that are in the realm of presentable, I promise to pose pictures and progress. (I just have lot on going on at the moment.)

Believe me, I have invested too much on this crew to abandon them!

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Page 3 of 3