Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 4:03 AM
Default Categorizing Adult Clothing for Elders
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I DID do a search on here and on Google and found only one other answered inquiry that was close to my own, here: http://modthesims.info/t/372567

That thread was started back in 2009, and a lot can change on the modding scene in four and a half years' time. Also, the program (CTU) linked in that page is "no longer supported by it's creator". I know there are many mods and programs that can still work okay even when "outdated/unsupported", but I thought I'd check around a bit before investing my time and sanity into a project that may or may not work. And, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to mention anything in the program's overview notes about it including the ability to change clothing age categories, nor does it seem to give any directions as to how to do so.

So here are my questions: Is it possible to categorize adult clothing for elders to use? Has anyone actually done it? If so, does it look like it's being worn by an elder, or does it use the adult body shape? Does using adult clothing for elders cause gaps at the neck and ankles like it does for teens, or it that only because of size difference? Is there a good (hopefully simple! ) tutorial that a "newb" like me could handle without my head exploding? I don't necessarily want to make default replacements, just make some of the clothes that I own from the Store, and maybe some from base game, EPs, and maybe Stuff Packs available to elders.

I have absolutely NO meshing experience, and the only "modding" I've done is little things like using S3PE to change a custom world's WPID resource or changing a couple lines of script code in Notepad. I wish I had time to learn more, but unless my hubby takes the kids on a six-month vacation, I don't think I'd ever have enough time to wrap my brain around any but the most simple project! (Though maybe I'll look into it when my youngest starts school in about a year and a half.)

However, I was curious if it might be something as simple as just downloading a program (i.e. CTU or something like it), opening up a file and "ticking" a couple boxes to enable certain adult outfits for elders . Something tells me that if it were that easy I would have already found a mod that unlocks adult clothes for elders, like Twallans Master Controller does for adult>teen... (I find it really strange that Twallan didn't include an adult>elder option other than for accessories. ?) Or is there something already out there that I've somehow missed? There are some clothes, particularly from the Store, that I was really disappointed when I discovered they were not enabled for use by elders, and they really look like they should have been!

Again, I apologize if this is already covered somewhere, or if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place; I usually do anything I can to avoid starting a new thread and almost always find what I need by "lurking" only, but I just couldn't find an answer this time, and I'm not really sure where to start looking if I can't find anything in a search...
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:39 AM
You can categorise adult clothing for elders, but it's not a great idea. The body shape isn't changed - so your elder women, for example, will be shapely with pert little boobs, just like adult women. On top of that, the morph shapes for elders are different from those for adults, so there will be gaps between the sim's body and head if they're muscular, fat etc.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You can categorise adult clothing for elders, but it's not a great idea. The body shape isn't changed - so your elder women, for example, will be shapely with pert little boobs, just like adult women. On top of that, the morph shapes for elders are different from those for adults, so there will be gaps between the sim's body and head if they're muscular, fat etc.

Hey there, thanks for responding!

Okay, well that pretty much makes the decision for me. If the gaps would be that noticeable after being changed over, I probably won't waste my time on the attempt.

I had hoped I could re-categorize, in particular, some of the outfits from the Jazz Age set, but I guess my great-granny will have to pack away her "flapper" dress when she ages up... (Of course, this same sim lady actually might NOT mind getting a "lift" and having "perkies"! Hmmm, it could still work, maybe? Too bad simply changing clothes doesn't instantly give us a younger, more attractive body in real life! ) Actually, the outfit I most wanted to do was that suit with the fur collar and cuffs. It just screams "wealthy old widow" to me! I really just don't understand EA's logic as to why this outfit wasn't made available for elders!?! Grrr.

So does the gap only seem to show up (or look worse) with sims who are further away from "average" size and/or build, or does it affect all? For the most part, I tend to play sims who are of average build and weight. Would that make any difference?

If I did just want to try re-categorizing, would I use CTU? And would it be fairly simple, or is there a lot to it?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 10:56 PM
The gapping will show even with 'average' sims, unfortunately.

To recategorize, IMO the best tool is s3oc. It will do clothing for any expansion or stuff pack you have installed, while CTU is restricted to base game items.

In s3oc:
In the Cloning menu, click CAS Part.
Find your item in the list.
In the bottom right, click the 'Clone or Fix' button.
In the options that appear on the left, leave 'Renumber/Rename Internally' checked if you want this to appear as an additional item in CAS. Uncheck it if you want this to replace the item in CAS.
On the right side, check 'Elder' in the Age section. (If you're making it an additional CAS item, you can optionally uncheck YA and Adult.)
Click the Start button and save your package.
If you're doing a default replacement, open your package with S3PE and delete everything except the CASP and _KEY.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

To recategorize, IMO the best tool is s3oc. It will do clothing for any expansion or stuff pack you have installed, while CTU is restricted to base game items.

In s3oc:
In the options that appear on the left, leave 'Renumber/Rename Internally' checked if you want this to appear as an additional item in CAS. Uncheck it if you want this to replace the item in CAS.
On the right side, check 'Elder' in the Age section. (If you're making it an additional CAS item, you can optionally uncheck YA and Adult.)
If you're doing a default replacement, open your package with S3PE and delete everything except the CASP and _KEY.

Thank you so much! I may try it just for "practice" and see what happens, though I'm sure you're right about the gap. But your suggestions and instructions have still been very helpful and I may be able to use them for other projects! I'm copying this thread to a Word document so I can find it later when I have time to mess around with it, and then I'm going to go download s3oc.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond; I really appreciate the input from both of you!

Now I just have to find the TIME to try this stuff out...
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

In s3oc:

Hi, how to do to don't have the spaces between the waist and the top? I mean, I converted the item but now it has a lot of bugs. There's a space between the neck too. How to fix it?