Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 12:11 PM Last edited by Delphy : 15th Mar 2005 at 12:21 PM.
Default Download Filename Changes
You might have noticed that as of today when you click on a link to download a file, the file is saved with a name in this format:
MTS2_Username_Filename

This is just to help everyone (i.e. me) remember where they got a file and who created it in case they (I) have a problem with the file and need to notify the creator.

This only affects the Zip, rar or Sims2Pack filename, not the internal contents of them. Adding MTS2 to the filename in no way implies that modthesims2 owns or takes responsibility for any file posted. They remain the property of the creator just as they always have.

We hope you have enjoyed today's news item. Please come back soon.

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 12:32 PM
Does this mean that it will be automatically converted if when we upload something we give it a different file name?

Kind of confusing....... :confused:
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 12:41 PM
It's a download only change - the upload file is appended to the end.

You wont need to change anything on the upload side.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:21 PM
Don t know if i realy like this. There is a risc when people downloading the same file from different places that they got doubles without knowing...and maybee different versions... i would prefer the username added last in the filename. However, don t know if i like this at all... have to think twice first and look what people here say.
And..thanks thanks thanks for this wonderful site...
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:52 PM
I don't think this will cause any doubles-from-different-places problems, because it only renames the zip/rar/sims2pack files, not the packages themselves. When the files are unzipped/untarred/unsim2packed the files will have the same filename as they had in your original.

I think it's a good idea. Anything that makes my downloading make more sense is a plus.
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 2:13 PM Last edited by RGiles : 15th Mar 2005 at 2:16 PM.
Echo's right. It won't change the name of the package files. I wanted this because a lot of people are naming their package files very badly, like "chair01". If everyone used a good naming convention like you or Boblishman do, then it wouldn't be needed.

If I unzip it and see that it didn't include the creator's name in the package name, I can add the user's name to it without having to look up again who made it.

If it has a package name that gives me that information like yours do, then I don't have to worry about it.

There is always the chance that people will download different versions of the same thing from different sites anyway. Since the package name is the same, one would just overwrite the other.

RG
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 2:19 PM
Good idea for systematically naming files.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 2:29 PM
I dont know if anyone else gets this or not but anytime I download anything from here anyway it always wants to save as "attachment"

I have to write in a name for the file when I go to save it... Seems to happen on any invsionboard forum. *shrugs* My download manager pops up when I download them so I dont know if its a download manager thing or what..
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 3:27 PM
I've never used a download manager, so I don't know about that. But I can tell you this isn't an invision forum :D

RG
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
I don't think this will cause any doubles-from-different-places problems, because it only renames the zip/rar/sims2pack files, not the packages themselves. When the files are unzipped/untarred/unsim2packed the files will have the same filename as they had in your original.

I think it's a good idea. Anything that makes my downloading make more sense is a plus.

Echo and R.Giles: Sorry i didn t read correctly or didn t understand. To change just the rar/zip filenamn is a good idea. Always good new ideas here. Great!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
I've never used a download manager, so I don't know about that. But I can tell you this isn't an invision forum :D

RG

vbulletin my mistake XD To many things open at once.. lol

I suspect it may be the msn download thing that pops up and doesnt like these types of boards.. Since it doesnt seem to happen at regular sites.. lol

But thats ok.. i'll just go along with putting in the names myself XD

But I do think its a good idea ^_^ Its good to know where you find stuff and what not *nods*
Instructor
#12 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyFaenya
I dont know if anyone else gets this or not but anytime I download anything from here anyway it always wants to save as "attachment"

I think it's an MSN thing I had it happen to me. It also defaulted my downloads from Maxis's exchange as "index". I got tired of it all and changed back to IE as my browser. Sometimes newer isn't better.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 11:40 PM
yeah i figured as much XD
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 11:49 PM
Awsome idea guys. Top work.
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 4:34 AM
I haven't yet uploaded anything here (mostly because I'm not really sure how), but my zips are always named "Graph_NameofFile.zip".

As for the actual object(s) inside the zip, they are always named: Graph_NameofObjectDATE

And to make doubly sure, I always include a ReadMe file. I suppose that makes me safe. LOL.
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 3:25 PM
Well Grapholina, I don't know if it keeps you safe, but I thank you for it. It's so hard to keep things organized and know which recolors are for which object and who to notify if there's a problem.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 10:57 PM
I was going to post about it!
Great idea, saves me having to type the site and creator everytime, that's how I've always saved my downloads.
Thank you very much!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyFaenya
vbulletin my mistake XD To many things open at once.. lol

I suspect it may be the msn download thing that pops up and doesnt like these types of boards.. Since it doesnt seem to happen at regular sites.. lol

But thats ok.. i'll just go along with putting in the names myself XD

But I do think its a good idea ^_^ Its good to know where you find stuff and what not *nods*

For me, the MSN Download Manager is a pain in the neck. So I stopped using it. When you get the "save to file/open file/download later" uncheck the "using msn download manager". Stops it all together. Hope this helps.

SimMoon
Public Enema #2
#19 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 9:45 AM
So this is what RGiles has been up to. Trying to save us from our own slothfullness. As a confirmed idiot i'm all for it. THANKS!
Test Subject
#20 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 11:36 AM
MIA!!!! Months ago I downloaded some awesome undies from this site (I think) that has a pop-up window that says "MLSexy Satin and Heels," when you hover over it. However when I transfered my files over to my new computer I lost all but one of them. I came back here to get them again, but I can't seem to locate them. Does anyone know the undies I'm refering to and where I can find them? They're my absolute favorite!

Thanks in advance!!!