Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 4:28 AM
Looking for textures of maxis original build stuff
So I am new to meshing, recoloring and the whole bit of just playing around with sims 2. I am actually working on my first set of objects to share with the community and realized I need something from the game, but not a clue where to 'find' it. I thought about posting in WCIF, but it really was not involving custom content or any thing like that, since the stuff was already prepackaged with the game.

What I am trying to do is find the actual textures for walls. Taking an ingame pic of said object simply is not 'professional' enough for me. What I am most curious about is HOW -WHERE to find where these textures so that I can extract the information myself. Any help at all would be appreciated.

(and yes, I picked space ponies because, gosh darn it all, I like space ponies)
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 1:29 PM
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Note that all uploads must have in game pictures.

Pretty sure what the OP is talking about is taking in game pictures to get the *textures*. Which, yeah, is NOT the way to go about it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 4:21 AM
All textures are located in (install location)\TSData\Res\Sims3D, textures start in Objects07.package.

Thanks! I appreciate the info on how to find those maxis textures.

Note that all uploads must have in game pictures.

What I meant was that I was actually taking 'snapshots' of an actual wall ~in the game~.

As for uploading CC stuff here, yes, I understand that 'in game' pictures are required for any type of upload. But I do appreciate the clarification, if I was unclear in my post.

Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Pretty sure what the OP is talking about is taking in game pictures to get the *textures*. Which, yeah, is NOT the way to go about it.

^ Yep. Precisely.

Now to go DIVING into Objects07.package !!!

Thank you both for replying. Muchly appreciated. (and yes, I deliberately misspelled that word).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 3:31 PM Last edited by LadySilverwolf : 1st Mar 2016 at 3:53 PM.
Alrighty then...

I am back with a few more questions after diving into maxis object files.

I have decided to work with the repository method with my object, but have possibly run into an interesting point in my build where what I would LIKE to do, is borrow a texture from the game to add to one of my subsets in my master object. I really do not want this part of the mesh to be recolored, and I will also mention I already have two subsets that are color enabled.

My question is this : Is it possible for a master object to borrow a texture itself from one of the ObjectXX.packages and thus subsequently lend that same maxis texture to all the slaves I plan on putting into this set and still retain the ability to have two recolor-able subsets?

Just to be a tad bit more descriptive :
Master object has 4 subsets, 2 are recolor-able. and 1 subset I would LIKE/LOVE for it to borrow its texture from a maxis package
--- (pretty sure it will be Object06, although I did find an identical reference (name) in object in Objects09)

I am specifically looking use wall-top_txtr and/or wall-top0_lifo to be referenced/linked too.

Derp Edit : AND if it is possible, can someone point me to the right tutorial or reference material I need to read/learn from?