Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 9:38 PM Last edited by Patry. : 29th Jan 2011 at 1:50 AM.
Build walls under stairs
I want to make a bathroom in the little space between the stairs and the wall behind.

The house has two floors with friezes in both levels. The stairs go right from the first floor to the second, so the stair's sidewalls don't show up. And now the problem is that this little bathroom is an "open" room. To close it I want to build a wall using the two extra tiles (because of the frieze) under the stairs. But no matter what kind of cheats I use the stairs are inmune to any of them.

Any one knows of a solution, trick, cheat... I didn't use?

Tell me if you want pictures.

Edit: I did it! Well after a lot of thinking and trying thousand of millions of times I could close that room under the stair through the frieze.

I did it in two times. First from upside the frieze at the level 2 (the 6 higher steps). And then from the bottom of the first level to the tile where the first stair landed. That way the stair's sidewalls appear just fine (and close the room).

For the preparations I needed to put two tiles, the one where the frieze stair will land an other one in the back of this first tile. Those tiles can't be removed afterwards
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 4:33 AM
Noooo... That way it's not functional. The way I did it before had a half tile landing between the upper and the lower stair, but that way the sims can only use the lower one. So it looks like it has to be done the old way and have a tile and a half landing between stairs.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 4:38 AM
Pics would be helpful, they often tell more than 1000 words.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 7:08 AM
Ok. Sorry, I was still playtesting the house. And it took me ages because off all the "constrainfloorelevation" true and false and the lights for the friezes plus the broken lights (normal or not) that usually doesn't work untill I restart the game... I was at the edge of hanging myself from the highest tree.

This is the house itself. A remake of that little tiny house in France. I don't know why but the shutters of the windows on the second floor don't show higher than the second (real) level, but they're there.

This is the upper part of the stair. This goes from the floor of the second level through the frieze of the first level.

Here you can see the landing between stairs (in the functional way) in build mode. It's a little dificult to see because of the lights for the friezes but the landing has one tile and a half. The first version (non functional) was only with the half tile landing near the upper stair.

Theese are the two stairs. I prefered to use the the frieze as a fence because a real fence will "open" two tiles and it looks weird at the landing of the upper stair. By the way, as you can see (not very well) the sidewalls of the lower stair are there and perfectly fine.

And this is the little bathroom (that finaly grew two tiles more) under the stair that I wanted to do from the beginning. The part under the stair or without frieze is for the bathtub, and the part with frieze for the shower, toilet and sink.

And a complete view of the two stairs an the part of the bathroom with frieze (I wanted that kind of division and not a single rectangle). There're lights in the bathroom friezes but I don't know why the weren't working at that moment.

I don't know what's happening with the lights! I make sure to pay the bills every time...
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 7:16 AM
Um, so what is the problem besides the wall on top of stairs blocking them?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by armiel
Um, so what is the problem besides the wall on top of stairs blocking them?

That wall is not a problem at all. Those stairs are perfectly fine.

The problem was when the stair was only one, without landing in between, as I wanted at first and as I did it at first. But that way the stair's sidewalls don't show up and I couldn't build the wall were now is the big picture of the geisha. I could solve it that way because I had enough space to make the stair in two parts but the original proyect wasn't like that (I'm showing you the last and playable solution I could find). The bathroom had to be a 2x4 rectangle plus the 1x2 rectangle under the stair (the one and only single stair).

But there was no way, that I know, to build that wall at the back, as I wanted. I'm still wondering if that can be done some way.

If there is still nedded I can recreate the first problem in an empty lot and post a picture.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 4:37 AM
"If there is still nedded I can recreate the first problem in an empty lot and post a picture."

This is your help post, I think it's only you who can decide if you want to try find the answer.

This much I can say: you can't make walls under the stairs, half way them. Only to the top end. Also any objects placed under the stairs cannot be used, must be a thing with the footprint of the stairs. If you want a room under stairs, you need landings, I can't come up with other solution.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 9:58 AM
I like your solution, and I don't think you can use the staircase more then you already do. 1 thing I would have changed. The frieze above the bathroom. I would have used cfe there to remove those frieze walls where there is no wall in the bathroom under it.

I know in sims2 some staircases could have a couch under the higher part of the stairs, but that was connected to some stairs made by modders.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 11:31 PM Last edited by Patry. : 4th Feb 2011 at 1:47 AM.
Ok, I'm going to remake the first version in an empty lot because I don't want to keep the doubt to myself. And... recently, I discovered in my basement/cellar that has a single stair through the foundation... that I can buil a wall under the stair, but not exactly were I want to... Of course there're no stair's sidewalls at all.

Thanks Volvenom, I keep doubting about that division myself too an I decided to leave it like that because it defines very well the three sections below. The 2x1 rectangle at the right side is for the shower and has a wall with a "pavés" window (what is the word in english...? You know, a wall made with glass bricks) so the frieze above in that part felt natural. The other side... I don't know maybe symmetry... Maybe because the central square is for the sink and toilet... Maybe to continue the bedroom frieze and distinguish the entrance to the bathroom... Any way I keept it like that and added windows to all the interiors friezes to lessen the visual weigh. And know I discovered how to keep the lights for the friezes on all the time so it looks much better.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 1:45 AM
Ok, so here we go. First of all sorry about the colour choice but I tought that primary colours would be better to understand (cyan = floor, yellow = walls, magenta = friezes).

The two floors with friezes an a single stair to go up and down:

A closer view of the stair going through the frieze of the first floor:

A view above the frieze of the stair and the initial proyect of the bathroom. The stair has no sidewalls:

The "floor plan" of the bathroom without the back wall:

This is where the back wall had to be. In a closer look maybe the wall is still a little bit too tall to fit under the next step of the stair:

And with a tile sorter wall, the back wall can't be built too (I found that this works in basements stairs that go trough foundations):

A closer look to make sure that this time there is more than enough space for the wall to fit in:
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#11 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 10:10 AM
As I said, I think that space under the staircase is unusable. I quite liked the solution where it has a landing on the frieze before the stairs goes all way down.

I'm not sure if that gap will close like clockwork really. I think I have seen those gaps where they shouldn't be.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 5:33 PM
So it CAN'T be done. It MUST have a landing. Thanks...

Sorry it's not that I'm not grateful for your support, but I'm a little depressed. At the end I found a fine playable solution by myself but still...

The Sims 4 needs Calatrava build tools.

Ah! But I don't think that space is completely unusable. At my loft in Bridgeport one of my sims plays the drums under the stair. But that's metallic open stair and the drums are under the higher part.