Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:28 AM
Default Terrain Raising Tool Frustration.
Hi. I need some help with the raise terrain tool. I never seem to get the terrain to the right elevation level. It always ends up one eight story above or below what i intended.

I always use the stair tool to dig into the ground, so no problem with that. But is there any sure fire way to get the terrain raised to the exact amount you want in one fourth story height at a time.

One fourth story would be four stair steps.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:14 AM
After some experience with this the other day, I don't think there is an easy way to do it. I was working on one of my row house buildings which is a true split-level, not something called a split-level that has been concocted with building cheats, as in the basement is half a stairway down, and the main floor is half a stairway up. The first time, when I was trying it out on another lot to see if it would work, I hit the right height the first try. My attempts after that were less than impressive. That tool is extremely sensitive and I found the only way to use it and get everything where I wanted was to very quickly tap my mouse button, and even then more frequently I overshot than didn't.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:43 AM
I read a tip for this somewhere in the build forums but not sure where it was so here goes:

Build a 1 square foundation. Add a 1 square room on top. Now place a floortile on top and 2 tiles to one side. You now have a upper limit on how far you can raise the floor under those tiles, exactly 1 floor high. From there you can use stairs to dig it to what you want.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:51 AM
It's more a terror raising tool. I think that the parameters are modificable, BTW. So we can give this tool the same progression it had in The Sims 2.
Alchemist
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:57 AM
Yeah, it can get rather frustrating. And i don't really think theres any trick to it unfortunately, i found making it skinnier (dragging that bar across to make the inner circle smaller) helped. Sort of. It didn't raise the surrounding terrain, and it didn't raise it as fast either....

The only other way is to use the method Thanatozz described, as that puts a limit to how the terrain can be raised...

Otherwise.. i think you're out of options

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 7:09 PM
I'm sorry to raise a dead thread but I really sick of the sims 3 terrain tool at this moment, Has anyone looked into putting a limit on how much its can raised. I would look into it myself but I have no idea where to start even to look, let alone know what to do once i find the information.

(Creator Policy)
Please don't re-upload them to the exchange, paysites or TSR
May use them in Photos, story's & videos you plan to upload
Please credit me &/or link back
Banned
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 8:04 PM
We dont need a limit so much as less sensitivity. One click often raises it two clicks. Which is just unacceptable and complicates anything you do with it.
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 2:57 AM
Did you check in the Build forum ( http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=594 ), or look at any of the build tuts? I know I've seen some creative solutions to this problem over there.
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:05 PM
I also need help with this. I need to raise my ground to stair level, so I can put out a 4-step stair, like on this picture:

Srikandi, I've looked through the building forum but I didn't see anything.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:09 PM
Maybe someone can find the ini file that deals with this?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:21 PM
danieeel31 - Wouldn't it be easier to raise the area you want the house on, flatten that, and then just use stairs to lower the area in front?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 6:57 AM
HP, No, for some reason I always get 8 steps on my stairs when I do that.
But I used Thanatozz tip to do it, and it worket perfectly.