Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 5:23 AM
Default Recover lost mods in Sims 4 Tray Importer??
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone who use Sims 4 Tray importer know a way to find mods that aren't installed anymore? Like the file names of them
I just got a new computer and imported all my households and saves but, didnt have enough room on the USB for all my cc. Remembered and reinstalled most of my cc but, I still am forgetting some crucial cc that are packed into my sims.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 8:02 AM
If you have the saved sims in your tray folder still or can download them from your gallery, then sims 4 tray importer will tell you what the mods are, even if you do not have those mods - but you must have the lots, rooms or sims saved to your library (a "physical" copy, if you will, of the tray files on your puter).
If your drive isn't big enough for backup, onedrive, google drive or dropbox may work for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
If you have the saved sims in your tray folder still or can download them from your gallery, then sims 4 tray importer will tell you what the mods are, even if you do not have those mods - but you must have the lots, rooms or sims saved to your library (a "physical" copy, if you will, of the tray files on your puter).
If your drive isn't big enough for backup, onedrive, google drive or dropbox may work for you.

Hi thanks so much for the reply!
When I go to the Mods - Not Installed section, the file names come up as coding/numbers and so I can't distinguish what the actual file name is. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong.
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kentuckypotatoe
Hi thanks so much for the reply!
When I go to the Mods - Not Installed section, the file names come up as coding/numbers and so I can't distinguish what the actual file name is. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong.

The tray importer will only give you the file names of mods or custom content that are currently installed. It can't recognize mods or custom content that you've removed from the game, because it can't find them. The program depends on a path to your Mods folder. To say that it would be able to do otherwise is incorrect and I don't know why someone would say that. I've been using the Tray Importer since it was first released quite awhile ago and it's always been like that.
Scholar
#5 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 5:39 PM
If you still have the other PC your best option is to get your mods folder from there..
as suggested you can upload the folder to Google drive, Dropbox or anything like that and download it from the new computer..
or just remove the content that you already transferred from the usb and use that..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
The tray importer will only give you the file names of mods or custom content that are currently installed. It can't recognize mods or custom content that you've removed from the game, because it can't find them. The program depends on a path to your Mods folder. To say that it would be able to do otherwise is incorrect and I don't know why someone would say that. I've been using the Tray Importer since it was first released quite awhile ago and it's always been like that.

Ahh I see, I thought that that was the case! Thanks for clarifying
Forum Resident
#7 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 6:39 PM
actually, I was partially correct, and I will show you a picture of the sims tray importer. It doesn't give you the actual file name, but the numeric file that used to be there - and a description of what it used to be. I cull content all the time, so it does recognize that something used to be there. So, that is why I said that. Yes, it isn't very helpful, but, yes, it does give you some information.

https://imgur.com/a/y2Y60m5

If you have a CAS item without the mesh - say a recolor, let you save a sim with that item (in-game) - (it will not let you do that with something without it's object footprint resource, like a bed without a mesh) - and then the sims tray importer will let you know what that item is so you can research the mesh. It works well with creators who name their items correctly.
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 6:11 AM
The coding/numbers are the object IDs see Instance column, these are the only references left in the files.

Using the Details Mode you can fill in information for each cc then later if a mod is removed Tray Importer will show that information rather than the ugly 0x0000000000000000 (ID).
You can even partially share it when creating the zip file (see advanced options > Lookbook) and the partial list will be merged with the user's cc list during installation.

You can also ask someone to search for the ID using the Find Package tool (see TOOLS menu) and hopefully someone will find it.