Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 5:54 PM
Default lot trees
Looking for olive & oak trees. I'm from California, where rolling yellow hills are dotted with oaks. There's over 300 varieties. I'm looking for a 1-story tall, compact, knarly, dark leaved tree to make an orchard in a Mediterranean hood- it could pass for either tree.
PS I found a harvestable olive tree here, but it looks NOTHING like an olive tree!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 7:07 PM Last edited by iCad : 27th Jul 2018 at 8:17 PM.
I use these Silent Hill trees and bushes by Gwenke for dry/warm climates like the Mediterranean or the US Southwest: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=3377.0 The trees can pass for scrub oak, and the bushes can pass for juniper. I've never really found a convincing olive tree. There are some that could pass in shape, but the foliage just isn't that silvery-green that olive trees ought to have.

Also, these trees that HugeLunatic slaved: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=4809.0 Unfortunately, the pics on the post seem to be gone, but trust me that they blend in well with the Silent Hill trees, gives you some different shapes.

EDIT: OK, I went back in my Tumblr and found a pic where I used both kinds of trees on a lot. Here ya go:

EDIT AGAIN! Also, these trees: https://yolartut.livejournal.com/6943.html I have the version that Raynuss made seasonal, but his blog is gone, and I'm not finding a link to that version. If you want seasonal, let me know and I'll toss 'em up on my SFS account. It's possible that in the pic above, the tree in the foreground is one of these trees. They blend so well together that it's hard to tell!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 6:25 PM Last edited by grammapat : 28th Jul 2018 at 9:13 PM. Reason: attachments etc
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
EDIT AGAIN! Also, these trees: https://yolartut.livejournal.com/6943.html I have the version that Raynuss made seasonal, but his blog is gone, and I'm not finding a link to that version. If you want seasonal, let me know and I'll toss 'em up on my SFS account. It's possible that in the pic above, the tree in the foreground is one of these trees. They blend so well together that it's hard to tell!

-
Thanks, but olive & oak look the same year-round. I kinda wanted to make a winery; pick, squish, put in big barrels, put in bottles. Animations for olives would work the same! Maybe the Keep?
"Bonsai" could be a good old olive tree. But the link to the tall, thin tree that looks like a scrub oak, IMO does not. Scrub oak look like the bonsai trees, all crooked and ugly. The common oaks here (Sacramento valley - known for it's Mediterranean climate) look like a wide,dark tree with a rounded top.
Here is a pic of a scrub oak, and another type found in hills in Calif:
Nice pictures. Too bad I can't attach.
==
I DID find the perfect hood trees, byCutioudB: Anns' Willow tree & and The Orangutan tree

Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 1:42 PM
Yeah, you wouldn't want seasonal for most of California. I just wasn't sure where in California you were. Here in Colorado, scrub oak -- there are lots of different species called that -- is definitely seasonal. It turns red and bright orange in the fall, in counterpoint to the solid gold of the aspens and the evergreen of the ponderosa pines. Fall looks like this where I live:

Anyway, yeah, it's hard to find just the right trees if you're trying to make a neighborhood look like a specific real-world place. I know of some wide, rounded-top trees but I'm not sure they'll really pass for the California kind of scrub oak. Plus, all the ones I have are seasonal because I target those. I'll take a look in my massive tree catalog when I open my game, though, see if anything pops out at me.

I agree that olive pressing would be awesome! Real-looking olive trees, plus a press that produces bottles of oil would be great! I don't know how much more Sun & Moon stuff there'll be, though, since the "Sun" part of the team passed away. It's a lot of work for one person to do and I'd be overwhelmed, personally, but hopefully Frac is up to the challenge or maybe she'll find another partner-in-crime...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:47 PM
Have to correct myself: there ARE lots of oaks that are not everygreen. And there are like 300 species worldwide. I DID find trees I like. Especially, I like to have trees in lot matched by trees just "outside", in the hood. And that picture is wonderful! We get none of that in the central valley of California, or south (lots of flat desert) all the way to Mexico (dry hills)

Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:03 PM
Yeah, my husband has a house in Orange County and we jointly have a house in San Francisco. I don't like to be in either in the fall because I miss my fall color. But, sometimes there's no choice. Well, there wasn't when I was working, anyway. Now that I'm mostly-retired... I mean, there IS fall color in San Fran, but not as much and it's just not the same in a city as it is up here in the mountains.

Glad you found the trees you wanted, though! :D

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 5:11 PM
And another thing...
I just had to get a new populated hood - Garden Heights. It's all about dogs, so I found a CC called "canine self defense", a doggy Kung Fu. LOOKING FOR a set (with animations) of things dogs can interact with, looks like an obstacle course. I saw it somewhere..

Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
And another thing...
I just had to get a new populated hood - Garden Heights. It's all about dogs, so I found a CC called "canine self defense", a doggy Kung Fu. LOOKING FOR a set (with animations) of things dogs can interact with, looks like an obstacle course. I saw it somewhere..

Beck converted the dog agility items here: http://affinitysims.com/files/file/...sion-to-sims-2/ But they do have some issues, as she notes on her post.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 10:00 PM
Eager to try it out, thanks!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 8:59 AM
Shastakiss and Fractured Moonlight made recolorable versions of those as well as the cheap "home" versions from Pet Stories. I don't recall whether they were able to fix the problems with the tunnel.
http://fracturedmoonlight.tumblr.co...-shastakiss-and

Fractured Moonlight posted medieval versions here:
http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=107&t=9135