Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2009 at 8:30 PM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 2nd Feb 2009 at 8:42 PM.
Default Change Textures Used for Child Faces By Gender
I'm toying with the idea of trying to make a mod that would apply different textures to the child face mesh for boys and girls. I know how to change a Shape file to point to a different Material Definition and how to point a Material Definition to a different texture, and how to clone new entries for all of the above if necessary. What I'm not too sure about is how to get the game to recognize 'boy' versus 'girl' for this specific purpose, and whether it would be possible to direct it to the appropriate texture for each.

I am hoping this can be done without having to create a completely new set of face mesh templates, which is altogether beyond my ability. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ETA: Would the Property Set in the skintone be the real key to this, I wonder? I shall have to experiment...
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2009 at 8:51 PM
I'm pretty sure I messed with this ages ago and was never able to get it working. Doesn't mean it's impossible though - just that I gave up before I could figure it out.

Basically, everything you do is going to need to be done in the skintone itself - nothing in the SHPE comes into play. It may mean needing to change 3DIRs instead since for skintones, those appear to point to material definitions, but I'm not sure how to tell which is which, or how to add a 3DIR for a single gender. Property sets are going to have to be part of it as well - by default, the property sets for child faces are set to 0x03 for gender - both genders. So you would have to split it so there's one for each. I -don't- think just cloning the single property set and changing the gender on one version (and linking the texture/material definition) would work as I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I tried it before.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2009 at 8:58 PM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 3rd Feb 2009 at 6:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I'm pretty sure I messed with this ages ago and was never able to get it working. Doesn't mean it's impossible though - just that I gave up before I could figure it out.

Basically, everything you do is going to need to be done in the skintone itself - nothing in the SHPE comes into play. It may mean needing to change 3DIRs instead since for skintones, those appear to point to material definitions, but I'm not sure how to tell which is which, or how to add a 3DIR for a single gender. Property sets are going to have to be part of it as well - by default, the property sets for child faces are set to 0x03 for gender - both genders. So you would have to split it so there's one for each. I -don't- think just cloning the single property set and changing the gender on one version (and linking the texture/material definition) would work as I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I tried it before.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I'm going to try a simple clone of the Property Set just in case, but I don't understand 3DIR's at all...hopefully someone who does will see this and know what to do. Or maybe I could get Pescado to beat the information into me. XD

ETA: Nah, Pes has no idea either. Drat, this seems like it should be relatively simple, but obviously it's not...
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 8:20 PM
I know this is really really old, but...

I was messing around with this when I wanted to fix the tfface using afface texture problem. All I did was clone all the afface stuff, change the names to tfface in all the references and then run a Fix Integrity on it. I haven't tried it with the gender stuff yet, but I was thinking about doing that for infant bodies, so boy babies and girl babies can have different painted on clothes.