Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 7:44 AM
Default I accidentally killed a lizard and can't get over with
So there is a used piece of sticky tape lying widely open on the table. Unfortunately, there is a wild lizard who stepped on it and can't move nor escape. Then I tried to free it but I was too scared because I have phobia of lizard. My parents tried to save it too, but shit happens, the sticky tape now wrapped all over the lizard. The situations become hopeless, so they told me to throw it away and let it die. Before I threw it, I tried to save it once again however I was unable to pry the sticky tape because it would rip the lizard's left eye... yeah the sticky tape got his left eye ..

finally I feel hopeless and leave the lizard alone.. dies slowly.. without any movement nor even a blink.
This haunts me and I feel so sorry for the lizard. I got depressed because of this and it's even a wild reptile. I wanna rollback the time and trash that sticky tape
I feel so stupid, he's gonna die just because I'm a wimp. I pray and hope that lizard for the best

Has anyone experienced any worse? so I can feel a little bit better

EDIT: It is a common house gecko
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 11:57 AM
When moving our compost from the old heap to the new one I found a molenest with mama mole and babies living in there. Had to move them away sadly, they probably didn't survive that night.
Edit: If I'll ever finish a lo-fi beat, I'd take this thread's title as song name.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:00 PM
I kicked out my cat from my bedroom and was guilted two days later to let her back in. I'm too much of a softie. (I kept getting wispy hairs in my my mouth, which I kicked her out of the room in the first place)

I probably would be devastated if I killed a non-bug animal.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:25 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Jul 2018 at 9:46 PM.
If there's still some life in the gecko, there are things you may want to try. Not sure what sort of sticky tape it is, but have you tried soaking the taped areas in water for a while (with the gecko's nose/mouth away from the water so it doesn't drown)? Other things that could work is some sort of skin/baby oil without perfume or food-grade oil of some sort (again, be careful with its eyes/nose/mouth). Oil might be too much for the eyes, but if water works you can use it on the eye (sterile 0,9% NaCl/saltwater would probably be best directly on the eye, but regular tap/bottle water isn't too bad in a pinch). Most tape glue will eventually loosen if soaked long enough in water. You can even try to put some oil in the soaking water.

I've never tried removing tape from a gecko, but regular water and skin oil can remove quite a lot of sticky substances from sensitive skin, so it might work on scales too. Depends how sticky the tape is and how stuck the gecko is, and whether the tape stuck to the eyeball or to the eyelid (do geckos have eyelids? I'm not sure).

If the gecko died, don't take it too hard. This gecko happened to be very unlucky, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and hopefully you've learned to not leave out sticky substances or other potentially harmful items or substances where wildlife can get to it.
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 10:53 PM
Things happen in this world and sometimes there's nothing we can do to stop them :/

Accidents happen, but all you can do is learn from them. My last dog Jessie was locked in the truck on accident, my family believing he got out when he didn't, and broke his neck trying to escape through the closed window. Of course they blame themselves, but they know now to always check if our animals really are getting out when we take them on car rides.

If it makes you feel better, you can always try to rescue other things! Like once i saved a fly from a spider (even though that's how natures supposed to go, but I wanted the spider gone too myself) and i felt really heroic xD But don't let it drag you down too much, there will be other opportunities to save wildlife and you are in no way a bad person.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If there's still some life in the gecko, there are things you may want to try. Not sure what sort of sticky tape it is, but have you tried soaking the taped areas in water for a while (with the gecko's nose/mouth away from the water so it doesn't drown)? Other things that could work is some sort of skin/baby oil without perfume or food-grade oil of some sort (again, be careful with its eyes/nose/mouth). Oil might be too much for the eyes, but if water works you can use it on the eye (sterile 0,9% NaCl/saltwater would probably be best directly on the eye, but regular tap/bottle water isn't too bad in a pinch). Most tape glue will eventually loosen if soaked long enough in water. You can even try to put some oil in the soaking water.

I've never tried removing tape from a gecko, but regular water and skin oil can remove quite a lot of sticky substances from sensitive skin, so it might work on scales too. Depends how sticky the tape is and how stuck the gecko is, and whether the tape stuck to the eyeball or to the eyelid (do geckos have eyelids? I'm not sure).

If the gecko died, don't take it too hard. This gecko happened to be very unlucky, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and hopefully you've learned to not leave out sticky substances or other potentially harmful items or substances where wildlife can get to it.

I was terrified so I didn't think clearly back then. I was worried that I would accidentally dropped and drown it just because it jump scared me by its sudden movement.
The gecko was young and healthy before it stepped on my reckless sticky tape. I don't mind if it dies shortly or instantly, but this one really bothers me because it is going to die slowly and carefully from starvation and insanity that probably gonna take a day or more. I hope someone can put out its misery as soon as possible (I'm counting on you, cat. I saw you eating a baby lizard before).

Quote: Originally posted by complexion
Things happen in this world and sometimes there's nothing we can do to stop them :/

Accidents happen, but all you can do is learn from them. My last dog Jessie was locked in the truck on accident, my family believing he got out when he didn't, and broke his neck trying to escape through the closed window. Of course they blame themselves, but they know now to always check if our animals really are getting out when we take them on car rides.

If it makes you feel better, you can always try to rescue other things! Like once i saved a fly from a spider (even though that's how natures supposed to go, but I wanted the spider gone too myself) and i felt really heroic xD But don't let it drag you down too much, there will be other opportunities to save wildlife and you are in no way a bad person.

Hope your dog safe and sound.
Humanity restored. Poor spider though, he lost his dinner.
Sometimes, you can only give a sympathy because there was nothing you can do to save that poor little thing. Thanks for cheering me up.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#7 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by complexion

A similar thing happened to my dog, she was just a small puppy and one time we all went out on a family trip, and when we got home we saw her stuck in the bars of a window, she was trying to get to us but she couldn't, I'm not sure if she was even in pain, but we managed to get her out again, and she was fine. And I agree with this too, you tried to help the lizard, and that's a good thing, so don't let it bother you too much, just don't look at the negativity, and just look at the positivity, even if the lizard is going to die slowly, it will sure thank you for trying to help him

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita