Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 2:49 AM
Roof clipping through wall
So as I expand my sims' family I decided it was time to add a second story to their house. I've always loved the huge open in the floor allowing you to look down into the room below, so I've created this in my house. Once I added the roof to a portion of the first floor I noticed that the edge of it is clipping inside the house. All my rooms are closed off, so this shouldn't be happening.

Any help on why this is happening and how to fix it would be great.

Here are some screenshots of what's going on.

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 3:29 AM
I've had that happen before. Don't know what caused it, but just deleting the roof and putting it back helped me, don't know if it'll work for you though.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 3:41 AM
I tried that, but it still clips. But it only clips in that hallway - not the other three rooms on that floor.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kayleena
I tried that, but it still clips. But it only clips in that hallway - not the other three rooms on that floor.

That's weird. Sorry, but I don't think I could be of much help.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 8:31 AM
Is the hallway a room? Select it and see if you get the room controls. Consider making that little rectangular area a room of its own - you can use the "remove wall" option while maintaining it as an individual room if you don't want a wall dividing it from the rest of the hallway.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 8:22 PM Last edited by Kayleena : 3rd Sep 2016 at 8:36 PM. Reason: Update my findings
Yes, I believe it's a room of its own.
I'm sure there's something I'm missing, though, as I'm pretty new to creating houses in Sims 4. I mostly just download and slightly alter and refurnish houses, but I've been wanting to start my own, so I expect to come across issues like these.

I've taken some more screenshots:

UPDATE: If I remove the wall (fence) in the hallway it will put flooring down around the stairs and make it one big room, and if I remove the fence at the stairs and the tiny little floor strip fence from the Get to Work EP and replace them with walls the roof stops clipping. But as soon as I hover my mouse over the wall to replace it with a fence the roof will clip. So is there any way to combat that and get the look I want?
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 8:48 PM
Well looking at your first picture of those three, I see part of the room that the roof is clipping has fence and the other side of the fence there is no floor - you can look over it. Also the room is like a complicated shape. I would try making a wall across just the bit on the right, just before the door to the bathroom. First off leave the wall there and see if the bit of roof sticking in disappears. If not, delete the roof and make it again. If that's ok then, select your new small room, then the wall you built and choose "remove wall". That should leave it as a room and the roof piece should stay disappeared properly.

If this doesn't make any difference, check that you have a ceiling over the whole of the hall area. If any of that is open to the attic space or the room above that might be causing the problem.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 9:44 PM Last edited by Kayleena : 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Update
Yes, I meant for the floor to not be there. It's meant to be a big open area with just a strip of floor across the way under the windows where the plants sit. The strip of floor is acting as a shelf, in a sense.

Removing the fence you see adds a wall and causes the roof to act appropriately. Once I remove the wall it adds a floor to the open area behind the fence would be, turning the whole thing into one big room. I will still try your steps and see what happens, though.

UPDATE: So nothing's worked. I'm thinking I may just have to leave it be, but the thing is I wanted to upload it once I had everything fine tuned and looking really nice. There is a ceiling above the room, so I'm not sure why it's causing this issue. It's only with the fences, though. If I replace the two lines of fence with a wall it's fine. But removing the wall puts a floor in that open area and I don't want that. :/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:45 PM
Just tried that. When I put the roof back it still clipped into the room. Should I upload it in case someone here wants to download it and mess with it?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 12:00 AM Last edited by Kayleena : 4th Sep 2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Update
As soon as my sims' baby ages into a child and I can remove the crib I will upload it. I'll edit this post when it's ready to go. Should be within a half hour or so.

UDPATE: House is uploaded to the community library. My username is KayleenaG.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 12:51 AM
Whenever you can get to it is fine. I'll continue to play the house and eventually get it uploaded for good so long as I can get this problem fixed. There's a room on the second floor that is pretty plain and just not exactly complete. I tossed the computer, and game table in it because they were originally on the first floor where the stairs are now. I was attempting to make that room a bedroom but decided not to. I may still do that and just remove the game table altogether - I hardly have my sims use it.
I also have to really work on the landscaping. The front of the house is way too boring. I'll admit that I built it too close to the sidewalk, but I didn't pay attention until after I had the house initially completed, so I have to do my best to make it look better than what it does right now.

As for deleting the wall: when I removed it it, of course, added the floor back in. I replaced the wall, but before adding the roof I noticed that the other side of the hallway had the roof clipping, as well, so that doesn't work either, unfortunately.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 1:09 AM
That is something that I did notice. I wouldn't have the first clue of knowing how to figure that out.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 1:36 AM
You're right, it's not isolating it at all and it's driving me crazy.

For me it's not a huge deal, but I really wanted to upload it for others once it was finished and I don't want a roof that clips. I know in another house I built I tried to do an open floor and managed to get it done without clipping, but I don't know what I did. At first it did clip and I managed to fiddle around with the room and adjust walls around until the roof no longer clipped, and I was left with what I wanted, but I don't remember what I did. This time around, though, all the fiddling I can do is not working. I'm hoping for a fix, but if it can't be fixed then I'll just deal with the clipping and not upload the house.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 8:19 AM
Thanks for the links! I will check them out later since I'm heading to bed now.

Funny thing, though, my walls are the regular height. They're not medium or tall, so maybe the height doesn't matter?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 12:55 AM
Ah well, I wonder if a mod exists or could be made that would consider a fence a wall to fully close off a room so this issue didn't exist. I realize it wouldn't be a fix for those who may download the house and not have the mod, but in that case I would make sure to have it linked.
#23 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 9:19 AM
Why don't you share the lot as it is and we can all see if any of us can fix it to your satisfaction, without mods?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Why don't you share the lot as it is and we can all see if any of us can fix it to your satisfaction, without mods?

I did!
It's in the EA library. My username is KayleenaG.