Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 2:47 AM
I need help with AGS - it used to work but then I took a year off...
I hope I put this plea in the correct place... I didn't post in the AGS thread because I know Numenor isn't around anymore.

I used to use AGS to create lots for upload. It's been well over a year since I tried using it - all my files/games were untouched and just as I had left them. A couple months ago I rediscovered my poor little starving Simmies and started playing again. I'd really like to use the AGS again to create uploadable lots, but now I can't get any of the AGS or Permagames to work.

The only thing I can think of (but I thought I had it this way before too?):
To make as much room as possible for CC, I put all the maxis recolors and completer set type stuffeths in my C-drive EA Games/M&G/.../bins folder.
-Could it be that this is the problem with the AGS games? If I'm trying to play a BG permagame, does the game load from the M&G/data files, or the BG files?

I know how to put the appropriate CC for each game configuration in the AGS files - but what about the CC I'm storing in the bins folder?

I did retry loading the BG permagame without the CC in my Bins folder - it still won't run. But, maybe I've messed it up already? Before I mess it up further I thought I should ask for advice...

Thanks for your
^ ^
='=
Cat

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 5:21 AM
Perhaps you should zip and attach your AppFiles folder. That folder will contain logs which may help us to figure out what the problem is.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 3:34 PM
Have you upgraded to W7 from XP since you last used your AnyGames? That was what my problem ended up being.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 8:32 PM
Good thinking Phae, but no... (ohhh, you see what I did there? ) I've been on Vista all along. Same computer; I didn't touch anything.

Mootilda - I attached my AppFiles for you. I seem to remember you helped me through a problem getting another AGS to run... it involved OFB, I think.

Thank you both for your help and suggestions
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles4PermaGame#4-BG-NL.zip (53.5 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: As requested... AppFiles for PermaGame #4 - which is BG and NL

and Vintage Stuffeths
Site Helper
#5 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 9:03 PM
Unfortunately, that didn't tell us much. As far as the AGS is concerned, your game is running well.

I notice that the game is still running when the timeout occurs. It looks like we changed your PermaGame once before, to increase the timeout from 60 seconds to 120 seconds. I wonder whether the timeout is still insufficient? If you've got a lot of CC, or if you're regenerating your entire save game, it could take longer for the game to start than the AGS is giving it.

Would you like to try increasing the timeout again?

My only other suggestion is to replace all of the DOS 8.3-format file paths with the full paths on your computer, although the DOS paths should be correct as long as you haven't moved machines.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 10:46 PM
OK - lets increase the "timeout" times... How do I do that again??? That is exactly what you helped me with in my OFB game.

So, what is in my MG/bins folder doesn't matter?

What would happen if I tried to do an AGS with BG, NL, and MG?

Thanks!!!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Site Helper
#7 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 11:26 PM
The AGS runs the game from the latest EP or SP included with your AnyGame. So, with BG, NL and MG, it will run the game from the MG folder. However, all of your other EPs and SPs will be disabled, and the save game is in the AnyGameStarter folder.

I've upped the timeout to 180 seconds. Just backup your current AppFiles folder and replace it with this one. If you want to understand the changes, compare the old and new versions of RestoreDocs.bat.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles.zip (53.2 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 9:04 PM
Hi 8-)

It's still crashes during loading at the "wheel bearings" screen...
And, I managed to mistakenly uninstall my last AGS game *sigh*.
I have "reinstalled" AGS - and can play my one AGS (which is BG NL OFB and SSN) - but none of my old Permagames (5 games) will load.

I guess the best thing to do will be to delete them all and start over. I can't remember if I left half-built projects in them or what; but, if I can't remember, then it must not be all that important - right?

OK. So, next dumb question: How do I uninstall a Permagame? Do I just delete the file containing the game? I don't see an uninstall.exe anywhere...

Thanks again for your help. I'm uploading another copy of the Log.txt just in case it might shed any light at all.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  StartPermaGameLog.zip (1.5 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Permagame #4 current Log files

and Vintage Stuffeths
Site Helper
#9 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 11:29 PM
The log still believes that everything is working fine.

To delete a PermaGame, you should just be able to delete the subfolder under your AnyPermaGame folder. Or, just leave it there until you're sure that the new one works. There's no harm in having duplicates and you can delete the old one after you've copied everything that you want to keep.