Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 3:25 AM
Default Whats the fastest you've broken a game in the Sims 2?
I've discovered that the Sims 2 is incredibly breakable. Whats the fastest you've broken a file? Mine was immediate. I loaded up the game for the first time, created a family, and then all the families in the bin disappeared and the I couldn't play any household in the neighborhood. Lost the next one after that too after a day, all of the text broke.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:22 AM
It should not do that. Are you on the UC? That tends to break and you can do a repair in Origin. But unless you have done something to corrupt it (or used empty templates) sims should not simply all vanish from the bin. My guess is you might have done something to corrupt the hood not the game It's actually pretty difficult to break the game (installation files) make sure you have all the essential fixes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:22 AM
How exactly did you break your game? Did you Delete some Sims or something when you first loaded it up?

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:24 AM
That would break the hood not the game. Hood corruption and game corruption are two different things. if you did something like make Crumplebutt selectable you could indeed have broken your game, that requires a reinstall.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#5 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That would break the hood not the game. Hood corruption and game corruption are two different things. if you did something like make Crumplebutt selectable you could indeed have broken your game, that requires a reinstall.

Oh, yeah, thank you for correcting me. Yeah, I know the differences but I tend to accidentally refer to them as the same thing.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:38 AM
Bear in mind also that the base game hoods ship corrupted, so it may not be you who broke it if you're using a premade.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
Oh, yeah, thank you for correcting me. Yeah, I know the differences but I tend to accidentally refer to them as the same thing.

me too i meant hood corruption. It was actually kind of funny, because I had read about it corrupting before I got the game and prepared myself to do everything not to break it, but it just kinda flopped on me lol.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:07 AM
It should not do that. Are you on the UC? That tends to break and you can do a repair in Origin. But unless you have done something to corrupt it (or used empty templates) sims should not simply all vanish from the bin. My guess is you might have done something to corrupt the hood not the game It's actually pretty difficult to break the game (installation files) make sure you have all the essential fixes.

idk what I did. I had read up on corruption before I installed so I thought I had everything prepared, but I guess not. I dont know what a UC is, all i know is that it only broke Belladonna Cove and nothing else.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:26 AM
The UC is the Ultimate Collection, all EP's and SP's put out for free by Origin.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:38 AM
The UC tends to break?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 5:40 AM
The UC is the Ultimate Collection, all EP's and SP's put out for free by Origin.

Ohhhh, thats probably it. I did kinda scam origin into giving it to me for free a while after the promotion so it wouldn't surprise me if its not the cleanest version.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 6:20 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 1st Jan 2018 at 6:33 AM.
The UC does NOT tend to break.

I have used it since it became available and I have used it on Windows 7 and 10 - should be going for 4 years now?)

The problems in UC are - 99% of the time - the same problems you will find in the disk game; which means that the same problem shooting steps are still valid. I never had a family vanishing - but I don't think it is the UC's fault. The other 1% can be settings on your computer.

The repair option is there so that you do not have to reinstall and lose your game, and should only be used in that way. Since the repair will keep your cc intact, your changes intact and your game intact, it is not going to solve a problem with cc or mods conflicting, no matter how many times you repair it.

I would start by running the HCDU to make sure there are no mods (I don't know which ones you use, but remember, all of them will have to be compatible with AL and M&G in UC) conflicting and then removing all cc, except for NoSimLoaded and the smarter EP check (OP - you say you have done everything to prevent corruption, so I assume you do have those 2 mods) and then try again.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 7:20 AM
By break I mean I frequently see people having issues that require them to fix it in Origin. Odd things that I have never heard disk players getting. Which is exactly as the OP describes. Not everyone but some players do.

If you are on the UC I would make a backup, go into Origin, right click and select repair.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 7:31 AM
Well, I once loaded one of the premade hoods in AGS and used the deleteallcharacters cheat just to see the effects of it. So...I dunno, maybe two minutes. Does that count?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 9:02 AM
Lol, that is a bit different than loading the game and finding the bin families gone, you actively got rid of them. I only ever used that cheat once, back when I made my first medieval hood. The nanny that spawned had a mohawk she was awesome. Kids Don't Do This.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 10:02 AM
I don't think I've ever broken a TS2 game (as in major, unfixable corruption). I did some of the don't's in my early years, but only saw some bugs, possibly some vaguely visible minor corruption. I did start over a few times, so I've probably avoided a few mishaps.

My TS3 game was much more prone to corruption, and rarely lasted more than 10 saves before the current game became unplayable, and the last EP broke it completely on installing. My TS4 game has bugs aplenty, too.
Scholar
#17 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 10:20 AM
i remember when i was younger half of pleasantview dissapeared which i didn't know was corruption i just thought it was strange and i always used to move sims from one hood to the other spawning grim reaper into houses and making people have babies with him etc etc

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 10:54 AM
Well, I did manage to completely corrupt a neighbourhood in just a few minutes by attempting to save when I didn't have enough hard drive space. Though I'd been playing it for a year at that point. Looked like this afterwards:

I think the exported HoodChecker log is over 6000 lines.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 11:20 AM
Yikes. O.o

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#20 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The UC tends to break?
If UC seems to have more issues, it's a lot more likely that the cause is that it's often played by newer players who don't know about corruption. No version of Sims 2 is incredibly unstable with the preventative protections put in place. Even an unmodded game will most likely be okay for awhile if you don't delete characters or figure out a way to mess with things that you weren't meant to. There's no reason to leave a game completely unmodded, since it's best to protect it, of course. Sometimes a hood will just break, even a modded game, without you doing anything on the forbidden list, though. I've had it happen once in all the years I've been playing. I've had every version of the game; first disks for a couple years, then the original digital versions, then UC.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 7:04 PM
Not the whole game, but I had an iteration of Strangetown break within the first rotation. Vidcund Curious' alien twin babies just disappeared and even SimPE couldn't find them. I didn't even do anything wrong, aside from playing Maxis Strangetown in the first place. Considering that when the game first came out I was deleting bin families and gravestones left and right with no consequences, it really came as a surprise.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 7:51 PM
Jo - I have solved many of my own problems without needing to do a repair:

Most problems are solved in my case by a 50/50; the HCDU or simply checking up if I have made a stupid mistake.

(I remember I made a new game folder for the urban revival competition and lots of cc did not show up. Exhausting myself, I found - of course hours later - that I did not enable the custom content at first (although I was 100% sure I did).

It literally took me days to realise that I have never put the smarter EP check back once and therefore NoSimLoaded did not work. My Sims could not fish.

And then there was those Sims with the curly hair who could not eat because I had 2 different meshes in the game for their hair style.)

Repair would not have fixed any of those. I think I have used the UC long enough to know that by now!
Scholar
#23 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 8:19 PM
Took months for my hood to suddenly disappear after adding possible corruption causing material. Loading up a then recent save worked and it has lasted a long time since.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 8:53 PM
I've never seen anything like that happen in my game. In fact I'm still playing the Maxis Veronaville that I started the first day I opened the game, and I haven't lost a Sim yet, not even to the Grim Reaper. As far as I know, all the Sims I've ever played are still alive and healthy.
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
Loading up a then recent save worked and it has lasted a long time since.
If/when the corruption that undoubtedly exists in Veronaville takes its toll, I hope I can do the same!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 3rd Jan 2018 at 5:16 PM
I once broke my game by deleting my defalt replacement eyes from within the game. This caused the game to delete the file where the actual default eyes are kept. Some how even reinstalling the game did not restore them and I ended up having to do a factory reset on my net book to get the default eyes to come back.
Page 1 of 2