Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 4:27 AM Last edited by narusasu-simblr : 7th Jul 2017 at 8:40 PM.
Default Editing Object Shadows Question
Hey guys so I don't know much about modding so I thought I would come here and ask.

So I've been looking at how nice the indoor shadows are in ts4 and have been picking at my brain to see how I could get something like that in ts3. Recently I was reading up on shadows and figured out that objects in game only have sun shadows when outside. Once inside the objects lose their sun shadows. I thought that maybe if it was possible to have an object with it's sun shadow while indoors that maybe we could get some nice shadows inside from windows similar to ts4.

So my question is, would there be any way to make it so that windows always display their sun shadow when you place them indoors on a wall, and if so how would I go about doing that?

As a follow up question, if it is not possible is there anything you would recommend to enhance indoor shadows for ts3?

EDIT:

These windows seem to have amazing shadows! I wonder how they did it and if it can be done with windows on the walls.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 10:07 AM
That sounds a bit complex to me, have you tried changing the options for shadow settings? I thought indoor lights could cause shadows, tho I could be mistaken.
Sims 3 already causes lags and most people have to turn off shadows completely or keep at low settings.
In my game I do notice shadows indoors but they're very faint.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 12:44 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't sound possible to me - or at least not in the sense that there'd be a simple solution for it. What you want is to have the outdoor shadows inside, but not the outdoor lighting. And that'd only be possible by modifying the game's shaders (which is something I've been wanting to do for ages).

Either way, indoor lights DO cause shadows, but they don't cause lag. Graphics do not cause lag. Again, GRAPHICS DO NOT CAUSE LAG.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 1:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I figured it wouldn't be a simple fix. I've been seeing these ts4 indoor pictures and the shadows are just absolutely amazing. I was hoping there was a way to sort of get the look even if it meant faking the shadows and it not being a conventional way of doing it.