Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 2:44 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 21st Nov 2017 at 3:09 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How to disable the autonomous anachronistic gobbledygook diddlydarn bullshit?
I'm doing a let's play, which means that I'll have to be able to control everything that happens in my game. The thing is, it's a themed let's play and that means that certain things should not and may not happen in gameplay. Sims should not be able to pull out cell phones or spawn cars that were not manually assigned to them, and all Sim romance should be of a strictly heterosexual nature. It's not my cup of tea, but I want a certain degree of realism.

Now as I understand it, Sims can only perform autonomous same-sex romantic interactions after the player has "approved" them by having a Sim perform one themselves. The problem is that since Sims have no sexual orientation by default, every one of those Sims who comes into contact with an attractive enough Sim who is into their gender, these Sims will automatically become attracted to that gender. Now since this is a save that was previously a "regular", non-themed save with L, G, B and even T Sims living in it, all of this has already happened. And that means that every Sim woman who wasn't made to be straight from day 1 is now a lesbian.
This is easy enough to overlook in my regular save where, whatever, I don't really care if everyone is gay because whatever. But in this save, derived from that one, where the music is better but the people are worse, I can't have it.

So I need a way to make that NOT happen, and to stop the "gay epidemic"....for lack of a better term.
And I'll need to get rid of laptops too. Is there a way to do that, to stop phones, cars and laptops from spawning? Is there a way to clean my wholesome family friendly Christian server from this homosexual commie filth?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:09 PM
Site Helper
#3 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 5:04 PM
Phones: I have no idea. They are glued to the sim's pocket.
Laptops: Don't buy them any. Sell or hide any that are already in game. They can't pull it out if they don't have one.
Cars: NRAAS Traffic plus NRAAS Go Here might work for you to disable them.
You could try poking around with Retuner to see if you can disable "high-tech" stuff with it.

And fiddling with the settings on Woohooer, possibly including castes from Story progression, should let you disable autonomous romantic interactions between sims that shouldn't be interested in each other. If nothing else, you could assign all females to a "female" caste, all males to a "male" caste, and then require females to look at the male caste and vice versa. (The caste option probably would not require woohooer, although if you have it you should be sure it's set to follow SP settings. )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 6:58 PM
Without getting into the motivation and all of the overhead here, I will mention that historically the OP's relationship with SP is one of vile hatred (or something like that). And there is no need, if they were using it, to put males into a male caste and females into a female caste because Automatic castes do this...automatically. It's what we do with the castes that takes some effort to get through. But that wouldn't change whom sims are attracted to though, that would only change the behavior that SP itself and then Woohooer push.

Wouldn't the path of less resistance be to use MasterController (MC Cheats add-on module required) on the entire population first to set everyone's gender prefs to either the opposite gender or to none at all? This can be done from City Hall in two steps, one for males and the other for females. If you want some sims to be asexual, then that would be an extra step beyond that.

For Males: on City Hall/computer,
NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Gender Prefs > Males > (filter to all males in town and Select All) > -1000
and Gender Prefs > Females > 1000

For Females, the opposite, again all in one step.

For Asexual of either gender, set both prefs to -1000.

That won't change the gender prefs of sims who do not yet exist in this game, some semblance of story progression would be needed, but it's not clear if there would actually be any new unaccounted for sims appearing or becoming of age during these sessions. Any existing romantic couples could also be split up beforehand by way of MC, if this wasn't already taken into account.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:07 PM
If you use Master Controller, you can set and/or change the town's preferences in two steps (one for females, one for males).

From City Hall or an in-game computer:

For Males:
NRaas > Master Controller > Sim > Intermediate > Gender Preference > Attraction: Female (check) > Choose All (check) > Enter MALE Gender Preference for __will give you a male name in town, but this will affect all males__ > -3 (enter a negative number-check) > Enter FEMALE Gender Preference for ___will give you same male name in town, will affect all males__ > 6 (enter a positive number-check). All males will now be 'Straight'

For females:
NRaas > Master Controller > Sim > Intermediate > Gender Preference > Attraction: Male (check) > Choose All (check) > Enter MALE Gender Preference for __will give you a female name in town, but this will affect all females__ > 6 (enter a positive number-check) > Enter FEMALE Gender Preference for ___will give you same female name in town, will affect all females__ > -3 (enter a negative number-check). All females will now be 'Straight'

And a little ninja'd...but with more info from igazor
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:13 PM
I would say that LeeAlee and I had the same idea generally, but values like +/-3 and +/-6 for gender prefs are a bit fluid and those sims could "swing the other way" if they had a couple of unsatisfactory experiences with their weakly assigned preferences. That's why I suggested +1000 and -1000. The higher values don't make the sims more interested in acting on their attractions, it just makes them much less likely to ever change from positive to negative or back.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 3:40 AM
Okay that's it, I've had enough. I just looked up the definition of "diddlydarn" and have to say that I am highly offended. Everyone participating on this thread (including me) needs to be banned from the Interwebs for one month. See ya.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 11:48 PM Last edited by heaven : 23rd Nov 2017 at 3:09 AM. Reason: removed homophobic comment
NRAAS' Story Progression Mod has a system that allows for you to totally disable the spawning of and pairing of homosexual Sims. It's listed under "Chance of Gay Sim" (set this to zero) and "Gay to Straight Ratio" (set this to zero as well). This prevents any Sim from becoming homosexual. For Sims that already exist, you must set Gender Preference, as described above.

-------

Jesus loves you and died for you!

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 1:14 AM Last edited by heaven : 23rd Nov 2017 at 3:09 AM. Reason: removed quote
I actually kind of feel guilty about wanting to have a strictly heterosexual 1980s Bridgeport now, because I will not pass up any opportunity to offend homophobes. I know way too many gay people, both in real and pixelated forms, to not make a conscious effort of gaying things up a little here and there.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 1:45 AM
Field Researcher
#12 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I actually kind of feel guilty about wanting to have a strictly heterosexual 1980s Bridgeport now, because I will not pass up any opportunity to offend homophobes.

Would this Bridgeport be set vaguely in the same 'almost United States' the rest of the Sims seems to happen in? If so, a city it's size could quite easily have a very small, very close knit GLBTQ community.

If you decide to give Story Progression a try, manually set the gay/straight ratio low (no more than 10%). That should give you a chance to get a single sim that just "never found the right guy/girl". Likewise, you could set up the "we're just roommates!" cover. There would also be setting up a marriage between two gay sims of opposite genders who are 'passing'- married to give each other cover.

As for things that are less romantic, there were cell phones in the 80s. They were huge, ugly bricks and very expensive. There's a mod here to let you swap out what the cell phones look like in game, though I haven't ran across where someone has made the phone, but it might be possible to replace the modern ones.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 7:06 AM
I agree that challenges like this, although not realistic (hey, I was around in the 1980s and even decades prior; it's not like same-gender attraction and orientation are things we invented only recently), can still on some level be interesting to work out in-game without being political about it. I wouldn't play that way myself as it would put me way outside of my own comfort zone, nor would I play worlds where everyone is GLBTQ, but to each their own. I expect many players wouldn't be entirely comfortable with much of what I do have go on in my games either.

But some of you may have missed the totally unnecessary and now removed disgusting rant from one member that was triggering a few of the responses above.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 8:59 AM
I did miss it, and was like whoa - the OP was only looking for a temporary thing for a Let's Play. Glad I missed it, sorry that things like that still happen.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 1:01 PM
I'm very much inclined to keep things realistic. Sure, some 10% of the population is LG, and a bunch more are BT, but in the context of something that is supposed to resemble a 1980s sitcom, it wouldn't make sense to have a gay character for any other reason than to have them be the butt of countless now-insensitive jokes.

As for cell phones, laptops, PCs...very few people had these at the time (1988) even though all were available. So I don't see the point in Sims having them unless their situation were to call for it. My characters will have to walk to the kitchen to make a phone call and to the library to use a PC.

insert signature here
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 2:25 PM
cellphones - it's a visual problem, yep they were on the globe at that decade but avaible for very few IIRC the satellite ones were much more popular among the Institutions and e.g. company agents which were forced to work outside the normal infrastructure. Very expensive tool though. However it's an era of "unplugged" line phones popularity (look at the some "Dynasty " or other TV show put in that decade) so you could pretend that cellphones are actually just a handset of traditional landline phone. The rest is your tolerance for anachronistic visuals.

The 80' also is an era of rapid change and tech development - the idea of "portable computer" was there in the early decade, though it was more like big suitcase full of stuff than a "laptop" , first really functional has shown in the 2nd part of the decade (Apple IIc for example). And they were expensive and not popular, rather kind of curiosity stuff.

So sim going on expedition for some fat company or goverment agency into some "unknown land" could use sat phone and some mysterious "computer", rich sims could have wireless landlines in theirs mansions, and so on.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 5:06 PM
Of course, by the end of the decade many of these electronic devices had evolved into something pretty similar to what we have today. The graphical user interface, the flip phone, and the notebook laptop were all available to the consumer by 1989. In Japan, they even had widescreen HD televisions.

But that something is available doesn't mean that it's affordable, practical, or any way worthwhile. One thing future movies always get wrong is that everyone has the latest, cutting-edge tech at their disposal. All the buildings are futuristic, everyone is wearing similar clothing, and everyone has the same holo-3D-phone. But that has never been true in the real world at any point. I want to create the realest, most lived in world I can create inside The Sims, so I'm really paying attention to the details.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 4:09 AM
The only way to have the kind of control you want over story progression and what the game does is to use NRaas Mods including that version of story progression which is the one I use to be able to play TS2 rotationally in TS3.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 9:30 AM
Well there's the thing, I don't want story progression. I want to avoid it at all costs.

insert signature here
Scholar
#21 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 8:12 PM
well I'd not to dare ask "why", but you are able to have functionalities of MC/Retuner without active SP - literally: settings the option as "not active" (and I'm not sure if there's even necessity to have NRaas SP in the 1st place, at all). Anyway - the best place to ask is obviously NRaas home site.

(and one thing - you need phone booths! - or whatever it's called - that great place where so many of todays retarded grumpy oldies had 1st kisses and so on of theirs , oh well - it became embarrasingly nostalgic )

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 9:30 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure you can disable phone interactions in Retuner without having SP on.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
(and one thing - you need phone booths! - or whatever it's called - that great place where so many of todays retarded grumpy oldies had 1st kisses and so on of theirs , oh well - it became embarrasingly nostalgic )

Crap, you're right. I can't believe I forgot about those.
See, here's the deal. I'm like 3 years old. I mostly have to pretend that I'm all down with the Gen X'ers and various other shades of old. I reminisce about how much better music used to be, and how much simpler the world was when we didn't have the internet. I mostly grew up with 80s/90s pop culture and stuff like that, because I was surrounded by people with good taste. So it's really easy for me to pretend that I've been around for much longer than I have, when I haven't. But the truth is that I haven't seen a real live phone booth since I was a kid, and I've certainly never had to use one. And I haven't watched a movie on VHS since grade school. So while I may know about 99% of these things, they don't exactly come naturally to me. An old man, who claims to be my father, told me that he could tell I didn't grow up in "his time" by the way I hold a phone when talking into it, and that I would have a mental breakdown if I had to spend my days the way he did at my age. Apparently, 1991 was hell (despite how fond he seems to be of the era).

So I like to pretend that I'm really old and worldly, and that I really miss the 80s and shit, but in reality I'm just another one of those teenaged-ish hipsters who ironically wears old clothes and listens to vaporwave on Soundcloud. I give ten times as much shits about The Breakfast Club or Weird Science or any other 80s teen movie than any actual 80s teen did, because that's what stupid little shits like me do...amongst other things like wearing Nirvana shirts and bringing bad fashion trends back. Seriously, who the hell thought mom jeans were a good idea?

[/stupid self-deprecating rant]

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#24 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 12:58 AM
I found that the NRaas version of story progression could be configured to e more like the story progression in TS2 which was mostly done manually and with the TS3 open world.I used to not want any kind of story progression until I found out how to set the NRaas Mod version up like the TS2 story progression.It gave me the level of control over mt entire town so I can play rotationally like I'm playing TS2 only in the TS3 open world.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 4:44 AM
I remember 1991 very well. A typical day would consist of working really hard, coming home and putting on some music (CD or radio), going online to text chat with my online friends (Compuserve or local bbs boards), and eventually having to hang up on them so I could order a pizza (only one phone line). When out and about, one had to put coins into a box commonly located in a not very hygienic booth, although those were being replaced at the time by standalone payphones with no booths in many areas. Many of us tended to watch things on television at the time they were actually scheduled to be on. Yes, things were different then but for many of us they didn't seem that different.

Now if we could get someone in here to talk about a typical day in 1891 where things like electricity were pretty new and motor vehicles could not be taken for granted, then we might have something.

(whispers: and there were gay people around in both decades)
Page 1 of 2