Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:27 AM
Sims with Disabilities?
I'm wondering if there are any mods out there to recreate Sims with disabilities? Like not just objects, but functional objects or clothing/accessories. I know EAxis created Sims to be these wonderful, average creatures that kindof live in a Rockwell painting, but IRL there are people with disabilities and handicaps. I kindof wanted to do something in-game to reflect this. What I really want is a functional wheelchair, but I'm open to other mod suggestions too.

These are the ones I've found so far:
Hearing Aids - Accessory. Can only set 1 ear though.
Amputee Sliders Sliders to create amputees. Appears functional (except for using invisible limbs to open things or walk).
One-Eye Blindness - Accessory. Looks good.
Prosthetic Leg - Clothing. I think it only works for females, only wearing 1 outfit, so kindof limited.
All Access - Some wheelchairs & walkers, but they seem just be chairs. (Except baby wheelchair/stroller functions.)
Wheelchairl - I haven't tried yet but I think it's just a chair. I would need to use MoveObjects a lot for this one.
Canes - Generations came with canes, which is a nice touch.

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 7:58 AM Last edited by igazor : 23rd Nov 2017 at 9:55 AM.
This isn't exactly a disability unless it's a severe case, but I use and like OneEuroMutt's sliders to help emulate scoliosis. Technically it's not the spine that the sliders curve, but the visual effect isn't all that far off.
https://oneeuromutt.deviantart.com/...iders-492319987

I also have some younger sims (teens, adults) walk with a cane but unfortunately it's an accessory and the sims look ridiculous waving it about when they are sitting or lying down so I only use it on certain outfits. I've also used locomotion mods to emulate the elder cane walk on younger sims, but with the accessory cane they then appear as though they are holding it the wrong hand. Still a work in progress, really.

AwesomeMod includes Blind and Incontinent among its custom core loaded traits. Unfortunately both are really weak implementations and, sorry to say, downright insulting. He has Blind sims walking into walls and other objects on a regular basis and Incontinent ones randomly wet themselves (including in public). People who are truly either often find better ways to manage than this, and it also kind of demonstrates why EA would never have implemented such things in the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 12:37 AM
-I hate to be ignorant, but I don't really know anything about Scoliosis, or anyone that's had it. Just from reading from the Wikipedia article, it's "a condition where somebody's spine has a sideways curve". It also says it's most common "between the ages of 10 & 20", and more common in girls than boys. Also Dextroscoliosis (curving to the right side of the body) is more common, because "the body instinctively avoids the heart". So translating this into the Sims: I would use the sliders on a Child and Teenager, probably a Girl, shift the spine towards the right side, and then stop using the sliders once he or she ages up to Adult.

-Oh, I don't think those specific Blind or Incontinent traits sound very good, for my tastes. Although, for I could try a cloudy or white replacement eye-texture for Glaucoma for an elder or maybe find dark glasses, and a white cane for Visual Impairment with any age.
Walking Cane - Accessory. Walking cane for left or right hand. (Is this the one you use?)
Change Walking Style - Mod. Change walking style to Elder.
Fantasy Eyes - Body Shop. Can give white or pale-ish eyes. Several colours.
Pale Eyes - Body Shop. Pale eyes, many colours.
Glassy Eyes - Body Shop. Glassy, pale eyes. Possibly recolourable?
Ice Eyes - Body Shop. Pure white eyes, no pupil. Not very realistic.

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 5:18 AM
What the article meant, although it didn't phrase it very clearly, is that the condition is often first detected between those ages. Not that it magically goes away by itself when someone turns 21. I can attest to that myself. Not sure I put any stock in the gender focus thing reported either. In my case I really should have been in a back brace when much younger, but it either wasn't detected soon enough or didn't seem severe enough at the time to warrant treatment. This is the same medical science that deemed children don't need to wear eyeglasses. Sure, I loved living in a total haze and not being able to read signs or see the blackboard until I was 8 years old and finally got taken a more enlightened eye doctor. Not that I was ever going to be much of an athlete anyway, but not being able to see the baseball until it was three inches from my nose wasn't much fun either.
/end exaggerated rant about 1960s pediatrics

Yes, that's the same accessory cane and walk style mod that I use.

I like some of those modded eyes, even the pure white ones. But unfortunately all of these things just alter appearance and not how sims function, with the exception of the elder walk that of course makes them take longer to get around.
Test Subject
#5 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 3:45 AM
I was inspired and I'm trying to create a white cane in Blender.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comm...e_for_the_sims/

Unfortunately, this cc is for Sims 4. So this is why I wanted to make one for Sims 3.

Also unfortunately, I don't have the means to convert an obj. file into a cc file, since I am working on a MacBook. If any content creators would like to help me with that that of the process, I'd greatly appreciate it.