Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2019 at 10:42 PM
Default Disabling same-sex marriages for inactives
I know the title may sound weird, maybe even controversial, but what I want is simply simulate a country where same-sex marriages are not allowed (and let's face it, that's still majority of our world, sadly). For actives, that's easy, simply keep them on the boyfriends/girlfriends level and never marry them. But what about inactives? Unfortunately, if there is gay or lesbian couple in my game, there would most likely be same-sex marriage as well sooner or later. What mod(s) (and with what settings) should I use to prevent this (possibly one or more of NRaas mods?) and still allow same-sex couples in my game? And what if in future I what to simulate passing of same-sex marriages? How complicated it would be to do that (if possible at all)?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2019 at 10:56 PM
Yeah I think so too. But what settings should I use? There's just too many options it just gets confusing.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 12:35 AM
Should be around soon? Are we keeping up with the man's sleep schedule now, or his habit of inevitably answering every question that falls even a little bit within NRaas territory?

Which leads me to think.....is Igazor even one person or 3 smaller Igazors in a coat?
Also feel free to shoot me if I've been falsely assuming all these years that Igazor is male.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 7:47 AM
Lets take care of the easy question first. I am a gender ambiguous plumbot with perennial 5 o'clock shadow, body hair, an unusual recharge (sleep) cycle, and a funny walk. Sorry if that's too much information, but there you have it.

Now for the trickier one, allowing same gender romance/coupling without marriage. We can kind of get close to this, but not really. Marriage in Sims games is two already partnered sims exchanging vows with each other. It can be done in private or in public but there is no vetting or sanctioning of the relationship by a government or religious authority. That parts of the world deny such government sanctioning, restrict such couplings to a less than status of domestic partnerships, or disallow them entirely is a political issue, and potentially a religious one, and is not relevant as it is not part of the game. Although social commentary was not being asked for, this does hit a personal nerve. I have lived through times where such couplings were not sanctioned and downright discouraged or illegal (others have faced much worse) and through times where they are perfectly legitimate. There is nothing at all "fun" about the former structure.

With all of that said, there are a few ways I can think of to approach this. One is to use SP Sim Options to disallow marriage individually to members of same gender couples. Or use Caste Options to disallow marriage to sims with same gender orientation. But then these sims would not be able to marry those of the opposite gender either unless their orientation "changes" and in the case of bisexual sims with gender prefs on the order of +50,000/+50,000 or higher that is not going to happen without player/MC intervention. As it stands now, sims can marry going against their gender prefs if the relationship and attraction are still strong enough to withstand the gender pref penalty, but interfering with allowing a sim to marry at all would get in the way of that. Another is to disallow Romance for same gender couples who have reached the Steady stage so that they can still be affectionate with each other and still be partners, but their relationships cannot progress any further. But that means they wouldn't be able to progress backwards (break up) on their own either if things do not work out. Nor would they necessarily be pushed as hard to move in or raise children together. I would have to leave it up to the player to decide if any or none of these controls are what they wish to pursue to see what works out for them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 9:20 AM
Thanks Igazor, but I would appreciate if you left real world politics out of this thread. It is this kind of derailment I was worried someone will take when I started this thread, but to be honest, I did not expect YOU of all the people (or should I say Plumbots? ) here to do so. And believe me, as bi man living in a country where same-sex marriages are not allowed, I am well aware of all that. That's actually what prompted my question, because I simply wanted to simulate my own life possibilities in The Sims. But the options you gave me did not get me much hope to do that, though the one where same-sex couples will not be able to raise children hit close to home, since in my country, same-sex couples are not able to adopt a child either (but funnily enough they still can be foster parents), but since you pointed other problems with that option, I rather leave The Sims world to the ideal paradise that should exist in our world but sadly doesn't. And maybe that's the right thing, simulate ideal world and not the one we live in, which still have much to be desired.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 9:20 AM
This is something I clearly have never paid attention to as I play solely legacy style. I use the EA SP. So in the EA one Sims we never play are actually married by the game? I know Sims get together and have kids but did not know that the game officially marries them. I had one sister move out and moved her across the street. Watched and she paired up with someone and they had kids. But I never checked their marital status. I find it interesting if the game actually marries some of the nonplayables on its own?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 10:01 AM
To be fair, I guess if someone wanted mod settings that would disallow sims who looked a certain way from sitting at lunch counters or being able to live in certain neighborhoods or send their kids to certain schools, I wouldn't even have dignified that request with an answer.

The lecture about "derailment" and bringing up politics when I was responding to it, not bringing it up, was I am sorry to say totally uncalled for. I guess it is not possible for someone as closely connected to the issue in real life to be totally unemotional by way of a response even though I tried to stress the technical aspects of my answer rather than the social ones. Am sorry then that I replied at all and am requesting moderation or deletion of this thread.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 2:34 PM
I totally see the point at hand but I think discrimination, even as a concept, is so foreign to The Sims that it would inevitably be an interesting thing to implement in a game like that. I suppose this is enough discrimination as it is, but if I were on my fourth episode of Bridgeport'58 by now, instead of the more enlightened Bridgeport'88, there would definitely be groups of Sims not going into types of places. It sucks but it's history.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Answered