Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:21 AM
Default Problem with custom wallpapers
I had already installed an amount of CC and mods, and it all worked fine. Now, I tried to install some custom wallpapers. They appear at the mod list in the menu and are available to be selected in build mode, however, they don't have the texture they're supposed to, but just a red/blue gradient with a huge green "?" in the middle. I've alreayd tried redownloading the wallpapers, but still got the same results. Another set of wallpapers I've downloaded, though, worked fine. Anyone knows what might be causing this and what can I do to solve it? I'm not sure if this is relevant, but anyway, I have a digital copy of the game and the wallpapers in question were the ones from this set . Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:35 AM
You should definitely post there to let the creator know! Also, have you tried taking out all other CC in case there is a conflict with something else?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 1:18 AM
Nevermind, just figured what was wrong, accidentally. I didn't want to mess up my save that used CC, so I created a new one, and consequently, a new family. I movied it to a cheap house to see if the wallpaper was now available. The texture didn't show at the selection menu, however this time, appeared when I put it on a wall. Turns out that wallpaper could only be used on medium-height walls, and I was trying to use it on conventional ones. Still seems to be an error though, since the post shows images of them on normal walls. Thanks for trying to help, anyway. Without removing CC and making a new save, I'd never have discovered.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 1:26 AM
Since she shows them on all 3 wall sizes, you really should post in the download thread about them only being able to be used on the one height for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 1:41 AM
Yeah, I already did so. Hope there is a way to fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 10:14 PM
Well, apparently, the problem is with all kinds of wallpapers. Some work at a certain height, some at other, but none work at all heights. Anyone has any idea?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 10:18 PM
What is your game version?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 11:48 PM
The latest, 1.0.797.20
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 2:22 PM
I have also been having this issue! Glad I finally found someone having this problem with the sims 4 as all other posts I found about this issue were from 2009. I downloaded wallpaper that said it was for all wall heights but only works on medium, some flooring does the same thing too so that's wierd. I have the latest version of the game too. It's driving me mad as since they took away create a style, It takes me forever to make my houses look perfect and these wallpapers and floors would've been lovely. Argh!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 2:48 PM
Same question as above (which wasbn't answered by that user either): have you tried taking out all other CC in case there is a conflict with something else?

Scholar
#11 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 12:09 AM
I spoke to a creator and the fault comes from the files (I'm not a Modder) used or converted in Wallez. Sometimes they miss doing something to the file before it goes into the game. Its not anything to do with your other CC its to do with the wallpaper file. The creator I spoke to fixed them but they did say its easy to miss....I just went "Ohhh I see, thanks" When I was really thinking "I've got no idea what you just waffled on about but I believe you" .....LOL
Again I'm not a modder
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 12:11 AM
I'm guessing they didn't use a unique name? =P When you have a bunch of files named "my first wallpaper!!!1" (or, well, using an ID hashed from "my first wallpaper!!!1") then they will conflict ..

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 2:21 AM
Wallpapers are made for certain wall heights. If you get the big ? then your wall is at the wrong height for that particular paper. Try it with another wall height to see if it works.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 1:02 PM
when I get round to finally creating a tumblr account, I'll ask the modders about it! Seems like a lot of first try S4 CC is making things crash and generally not working for a lot of people because 'fixed' versions keep coming out like a week after the original versions. I'm just looking forward to some decent furniture to come out, I miss create-a-style so so much.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mummy_001
I spoke to a creator and the fault comes from the files (I'm not a Modder) used or converted in Wallez. Sometimes they miss doing something to the file before it goes into the game. Its not anything to do with your other CC its to do with the wallpaper file. The creator I spoke to fixed them but they did say its easy to miss....I just went "Ohhh I see, thanks" When I was really thinking "I've got no idea what you just waffled on about but I believe you" .....LOL
Again I'm not a modder

Yeah, that may happen and it actually happened to me while doing the wallpapers since there were too many files for the textures and I missed one. But then I fixed that, after testing them in-game and they worked fine in all wall heights, just as I show in the pictures. I don't know what could be causing it as I told DarthKyofu in the thread, since they all work fine in my game, otherwise I wouldn't have uploaded them. They also have over a thousand downloads and no one else has complained about having issues with them, so maybe as pbox said there's a conflict with some other cc.

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jwilli
Wallpapers are made for certain wall heights. If you get the big ? then your wall is at the wrong height for that particular paper. Try it with another wall height to see if it works.

Not necessarily true. I was working on some wallpapers yesterday and got the ? in game and I know for a fact the papers were made at the correct height. I'm not sure what happened to cause that- in the end I just remade the package file and they're fine now. (And I didn't change anything about them at all.)

@Vampire_aninyosaloh - There's a TS2 lot I uploaded that was missing a terrain paint, so the terrain flashes blue. There are over 500 downloads of it and only 1 person reported the flashing terrain. The lot is fine in my game because I have that terrain paint. NOT saying that your wallpapers are causing any problems for anyone else.. just pointing out that people do download and don't bother reporting problems they might have. (Which must mean they download and then never use the downloaded item; have a problem and just delete the download; have a problem and fix it themselves (guilty of doing that myself).. so it can happen that problems don't get reported.)
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#17 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@Vampire_aninyosaloh - There's a TS2 lot I uploaded that was missing a terrain paint, so the terrain flashes blue. There are over 500 downloads of it and only 1 person reported the flashing terrain. The lot is fine in my game because I have that terrain paint. NOT saying that your wallpapers are causing any problems for anyone else.. just pointing out that people do download and don't bother reporting problems they might have. (Which must mean they download and then never use the downloaded item; have a problem and just delete the download; have a problem and fix it themselves (guilty of doing that myself).. so it can happen that problems don't get reported.)

That's true. But in this case I can't think of what could be missing to cause the issues, it would be a lot easier if it was happening in my game, just like when I was testing it before I uploaded.

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 12:26 AM
No, there isn't a conflict with other CC. As I said, I removed everything and it still didn't work.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 12:46 AM
DarthKyofu - I, for one, believe that they don't work for you. It wouldn't be the first time that TS4 content won't work for someone and it would be nice to figure out why that happens. There was someone who asked me how to make floors. I told her, she made one and it wouldn't work in her game for her. I had her send me the package, the XML and her texture. After looking at her package and the XML, I saw why it wouldn't work and fixed it. The new package worked in my game just like it should. When she put it in her game, it didn't work. I suggested she delete caches and it still didn't work. Odd, but it happens. (It's been a few days and I haven't heard from her so it must not have ever worked for her.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 8:58 PM
I wonder if reinstalling would work. Well, whatever, I'm only playing on this computer because I can't use the other one at the moment.
By the way, I just tried downloading some more wallpapers and they also didn't work (even though another set already did). I guess my game just has something against wallpapers. Which is a shame, really, because what I was doing specifically required those wallpapers.
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DarthKyofu
I wonder if reinstalling would work. Well, whatever, I'm only playing on this computer because I can't use the other one at the moment.
By the way, I just tried downloading some more wallpapers and they also didn't work (even though another set already did). I guess my game just has something against wallpapers. Which is a shame, really, because what I was doing specifically required those wallpapers.

I just deleted and re-intsalled every wallpaper I downloaded, loaded the game and it was all the same. So nothing wrong on my end when it comes to extracting them properly. Have you figured it out yet? It's driving me a bit nuts as they all have an aversion to different heights, I'd be happy to confine my sims to medium wall heights forever if it meant I didn't have to deal with all this everytime I want to redecorate a house.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 1:58 PM
Sometimes deleting the localthumbcache.package can help. I had this problem with a wallpaper I made myself too and after some changes it still stayed the same in game.
After deleting it everything worked fine again.

EDIT:
I'm sorry, mustluvcatz already talked about that..didn't read it well.

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 4:06 AM
According to this thread it seems that a combination of nonstandard texture sizes and some other factor on the side of the user (possibly unusual hardware or drivers?) results in this issue.

Test Subject
#24 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
According to this thread it seems that a combination of nonstandard texture sizes and some other factor on the side of the user (possibly unusual hardware or drivers?) results in this issue.

I was the one who started that thread, it's good to know that it wasn't just my computer possibly being the one to blame. I agree that my now 3 year old laptop might not be up to scratch with the game specs (it was a very high spec laptop when it first came out!) but I don't have anything wierd on here that would be causing this issue. Everything else about the game works perfectly. Things are a bit busy on my end at the moment, once they calm down I might look into doing what she concluded at the end of the thread.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#25 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 1:42 PM
Well then. It seems like the size problem is the same thing as the TS2 grey wall/Mac problem. While Windows users don't have any problem with walls that are larger in height, those walls will show up grey for Mac users.

I admit I've been sizing my TS4 walls wrong then. But the thought of redoing all of them makes me want to go hide under my bed and never come out.
Page 1 of 2