Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1781
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 45 (Who?), Viewed: 4893 times.
Search this Thread
Old 11th Feb 2019, 11:13 PM DefaultBlue Screen of Death When Looking at Mirror #1
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Hi, so I have like 33k files of CC, but I'm still not sure if this is the cause of the problem. My game doesn't lagg, it takes around 10 minutes to start or 5 but that's it. I have a laptop, not a desktop, so I'm sometimes scared that it may die because of the game and so much CC XD. Thing is, my game only crashes (and actually my whole computer does) when I use a mirror and then APPLY changes. If I look at the mirror and then I cancel, nothing happens. But if I put "Accept", let's say to change a hairstyle or put an accessory (which I rarely do. I prefer to create the sim in BodyShop with such accessory rather than put it in-game so I don't overwhelm the game and I save time), my computer crashes. Maybe it's corrupt CC, but I wouldn't know since my folder is a MESS. I have no subfolders whatsoever and Honestly, I don't plan on doing themxD I'm such a lazy bastard, I know. I don't think it's CC in general because if I buy clothes or do anything else in the game this problem doesn't happen. It only occurs when I look in the mirror and accept changes; and in CAS, if I go to the makeup tab, it takes A FUCKING WHOLE TIME TO LOAD and it becomes laggy, so I never create my sims there. I wonder if my computer is dying, which would make me sad so I hope not. I'm looking forward to reading your opinions, thanks!
BTW, I have disabled SECUROM (deleted it, actually) and applied the 4 GB fixes, as well as the graphic cards one for my game to recognize the AMD one (since my computer is DELL, but it's more of a chip rather than a card, will something bad happen?)

What's the point?
Old 11th Feb 2019, 11:52 PM #2
simsample
Edge Of Darkness



Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20,603
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 8995 in 34 Posts
19 Achievements

View My Journal


The best way to find out what is causing your problem is to run through this guide step by step:
Game Help:Game Problemwiki

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 11:58 PM #3
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,497
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


Do you get an actual BSOD (as in the laptop crashes, the screen goes blue with writing, and the laptop restarts), or just the game's blue screen while the game is loading in something? Or does the game crash but the laptop continue working?

If you have a lot of CAS items, that might be why your game is loading CAS and the Change Appearance menu slowly.

How old is the laptop, and can you list the specs?

Low-end chips are more likely to have issues with the game. You can try to lower your graphic settings (turning off shadows, reflections and possibly also turning off shaders will help a great deal if you can manage without them), and removing some CAS CC will probably also help.

I've had BSOD issues with my own laptop lately (several times while playing TS2). Suspecting something's not right somewhere (probably some slowly failing hardware, overheating, or some such). My laptop is roughly 7 years old, and the battery died a year or so ago - and the bluescreens started around the time the battery stopped working. The BSODs and restarts are random, but often happens when the computer is working hard, and I've had several instances in the middle of playing TS2, particularly when doing something resource heavy. If your laptop is old or low-end, there might be something similar happening to it. Low-end laptops won't last long if they're constantly being pushed to the limit of what they can handle.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 12:28 AM #4
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Do you get an actual BSOD (as in the laptop crashes, the screen goes blue with writing, and the laptop restarts), or just the game's blue screen while the game is loading in something? Or does the game crash but the laptop continue working?

If you have a lot of CAS items, that might be why your game is loading CAS and the Change Appearance menu slowly.

How old is the laptop, and can you list the specs?

Low-end chips are more likely to have issues with the game. You can try to lower your graphic settings (turning off shadows, reflections and possibly also turning off shaders will help a great deal if you can manage without them), and removing some CAS CC will probably also help.

I've had BSOD issues with my own laptop lately (several times while playing TS2). Suspecting something's not right somewhere (probably some slowly failing hardware, overheating, or some such). My laptop is roughly 7 years old, and the battery died a year or so ago - and the bluescreens started around the time the battery stopped working. The BSODs and restarts are random, but often happens when the computer is working hard, and I've had several instances in the middle of playing TS2, particularly when doing something resource heavy. If your laptop is old or low-end, there might be something similar happening to it. Low-end laptops won't last long if they're constantly being pushed to the limit of what they can handle.


Indeed, I get an actual BSOD. The game crashes, then the computer does and the blue screen full of messages appears; then it restarts normally. Maybe it's that, but I don't understand why it only happens with the makeup tab (the lagg) and when accepting changes in the mirror (the crashing). If I cancel the changes, nothing happens.

Well my laptop is by now 4 years old or so, it is a Dell Inspiron i7 Core 5000 Series and it has a dedicated graphic chip (or card?) which is AMD Radeon R7 x265 series with 2 GB. I know removing CC may help, but honestly I don't wanna do that, nor lowering the settings because I record videos and do machinimas, so I can't do that.

My battery died too, like 1 year ago I think, but the problem has always been there even before that happened. I think rather than the CC itself, it may actually be corrupt CC, in which case I would be pleased because the only times I need to use the mirror is when the CC is flashing blue (and I try to fix it with SimPE either way).

What's the point?
Old 12th Feb 2019, 12:30 AM #5
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
The best way to find out what is causing your problem is to run through this guide step by step:
Game Help:Game Problemwiki


Thanks, but I have an idea of what the problem could be. Without CC the problem is not there, so that's why I may think it's Corrupt CC, but I hope someone has had the same problem and can guide me.

What's the point?
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:39 AM #6
mustluvcatz
Former Hamster



Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,717
Games: Original, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 75899 in 149 Posts
31 Achievements

View My Journal


Honestly? It sounds like you're asking too much of your laptop and it's restarting because of it. But you know, not my computer, not my setup, not my crashing problem - so I could be entirely wrong.

And see, that's where the problem comes in here. Your computer, game, etc., etc., are not ours and none of us can give you the magic potion to cure the problem. Sure someone can have a similar problem but what worked for them may not work for you.

When someone needs help with their game (or even their computer in general) they really do need to be willing to do some of the work themselves and it sounds like you're not willing to do that. It doesn't make a bit of sense for someone to say "Hey, what happens if you try this" only to get an answer of "I dunno. I didn't try it. I've got so much cc!". Not only does that not make sense, it's frustrating as all hell for those who may try to help.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:15 AM #7
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,497
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


Pretty sure corrupt CC wouldn't cause BSODs on their own. Thy can cause the game to crash, though (and it's possible you get a BSOD because the game crashes, and that it's more a laptop problem than the actual CC)

Either way, I agree with Mustluvcats - If you do ask for help, you need to be prepared to try out some of the suggestions.

One thing you absolutely should try is to run the game without CC and see if the mirror issue still happens. If not, you probably do have a corrupt CC item, and may want to do a 50/50 (and get your CC organized).

Blue-flashing accessories usually happen becuse they lack the "lens" group. They're relatively easy to fix, and here's a tutorial: http://modthesims.info/t/283059 - but of course you need to find the borked items first.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:19 PM #8
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee



Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,272
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 5537 in 64 Posts
30 Achievements

View My Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyx
Thanks, but I have an idea of what the problem could be. Without CC the problem is not there, so that's why I may think it's Corrupt CC, but I hope someone has had the same problem and can guide me.


Time for the 50 search then. It may be bad cc or it could be your computer can't handle the amount of CC.

Make a backup.

Half your download folder and place it on your desktop.

Load the game and test the half left in. Is the problem still there? If yes, if the issue is bad cc you know that the bad CC is in that half and that the half on your desktop is fine. if no, the bad CC will be lurking in that half on your desktop (if this is a bad cc issue)

Test, halve, test, keep halving. You will get down to the last bad file which you can then toss. Most of us have done 1 or more of these searches. It's par for the course of having a lot of CC.

AMD Radeon R7 x265 doesn't sound like a great card so it could simply be the amount of cc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 12th Feb 2019, 2:37 PM #9
simsample
Edge Of Darkness



Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20,603
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 8995 in 34 Posts
19 Achievements

View My Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyx
Thanks, but I have an idea of what the problem could be. Without CC the problem is not there, so that's why I may think it's Corrupt CC, but I hope someone has had the same problem and can guide me.

Yeah, that's what the game problem guide will help you to solve.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:44 AM #10
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
Honestly? It sounds like you're asking too much of your laptop and it's restarting because of it. But you know, not my computer, not my setup, not my crashing problem - so I could be entirely wrong.

And see, that's where the problem comes in here. Your computer, game, etc., etc., are not ours and none of us can give you the magic potion to cure the problem. Sure someone can have a similar problem but what worked for them may not work for you.

When someone needs help with their game (or even their computer in general) they really do need to be willing to do some of the work themselves and it sounds like you're not willing to do that. It doesn't make a bit of sense for someone to say "Hey, what happens if you try this" only to get an answer of "I dunno. I didn't try it. I've got so much cc!". Not only does that not make sense, it's frustrating as all hell for those who may try to help.


Well, I will never know if what worked for a person will work for me if they never tell me. I've tried removing my whole downloads folder and it's obvious that without CC the problem is not there. I've tried putting my CC by parts (as in "I put 1k, then another 1k, and I keep like that to see when the problem starts) and checking if it works or not but if it's corrupt CC I think I would need a program to tell me exactly because my file names are a mess. And i think my problem is most likely my laptop, too, because it's old and if even powerful desktops have problems like this with bunchs of CC I can't imagine my poor laptop. I get what you're trying to say, is just that this is a problem I've had since 2016 or so, and the solutions given are always the same and I've tried them and they don't work, so I decided to make my own thread this year to see if someone has had a similar problem. Guess it's my fault for keeping my folder a mess, or it's simply rather my laptop dying or getting overwhelmed due to the game :/

What's the point?
Last edited by Hammyx : 13th Feb 2019 at 3:03 AM.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:48 AM #11
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Pretty sure corrupt CC wouldn't cause BSODs on their own. Thy can cause the game to crash, though (and it's possible you get a BSOD because the game crashes, and that it's more a laptop problem than the actual CC)

Either way, I agree with Mustluvcats - If you do ask for help, you need to be prepared to try out some of the suggestions.

One thing you absolutely should try is to run the game without CC and see if the mirror issue still happens. If not, you probably do have a corrupt CC item, and may want to do a 50/50 (and get your CC organized).

Blue-flashing accessories usually happen becuse they lack the "lens" group. They're relatively easy to fix, and here's a tutorial: http://modthesims.info/t/283059 - but of course you need to find the borked items first.


Yeah it think it's my laptop too ;-;
Oh man, but how do i see exactly which one is the corrupted one? I've tried what you told me and I just get confused. Is Delphy's organizer going to help me? I want to try organizing my CC in folders with it but I'm still not sure how to do it since I have never done it.

Yeah! i tried that tutorial; I have a doubt tho. If I have, let's say, frame and lens, and there are two frames and the lens are missing, do I add only one lens placeholder or do i have to add two of them? Because such cc is still flashing blue even tho I added the lens. I think it may be because i needed to put two since there were two frames as well, but I'm scared that it may mess up my game.

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:50 AM #12
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Time for the 50 search then. It may be bad cc or it could be your computer can't handle the amount of CC.

Make a backup.

Half your download folder and place it on your desktop.

Load the game and test the half left in. Is the problem still there? If yes, if the issue is bad cc you know that the bad CC is in that half and that the half on your desktop is fine. if no, the bad CC will be lurking in that half on your desktop (if this is a bad cc issue)

Test, halve, test, keep halving. You will get down to the last bad file which you can then toss. Most of us have done 1 or more of these searches. It's par for the course of having a lot of CC.

AMD Radeon R7 x265 doesn't sound like a great card so it could simply be the amount of cc.


Thanks! I have done it already, but I guess I will do it again because I'm desperate and I really don't want to kill my laptop. If it doesn't work out again, then I'll just accept my fate and understand that my card is dying. Sometimes, when I clic on Live Mode after entering Build Mode my laptop makes a sound , like "tk". It's a real low sound, but it's making me nervous. it also sounds like that when a neighborhood ends loading.

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:56 AM #13
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Yeah, that's what the game problem guide will help you to solve.


Yes, I'm starting to realize with it that it's my laptop and its card I guess it can't handle much CC, but I will start doing the 50% method again. I'd rather do it with the 10%. It'll take longer, but I think it might be more effective.

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:57 AM #14
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Btw, is there any possibility that my problem will be solved if I compressorize my packages? I've seen CC magic but it's for Sims 3. I've also read that subfolders make loading times slower so I don't know if I should categorize my CC afterwards with Delphy's Organizer.

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 4:15 AM #15
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee



Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,272
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 5537 in 64 Posts
30 Achievements

View My Journal


That will help with loading but I doubt it would help anything this bad. I would look at the poly counts of the items. For example, some jewellery can have over 20,000 polys. Those are the tiny bits of the mesh that make it up. Now imagine if you have a sim on the lot wearing long curly 20 K hair and also a 20K necklace along with other meshes and recolours. Decide what's more important. For me it would be easier to give up the jewellery than the hair. I would also look at your settings, are shadows on full? Try them dropped to medium. Is distance on far? Try dropping it to medium or low. keep working things down until your laptop is happy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 13th Feb 2019, 5:27 AM #16
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
That will help with loading but I doubt it would help anything this bad. I would look at the poly counts of the items. For example, some jewellery can have over 20,000 polys. Those are the tiny bits of the mesh that make it up. Now imagine if you have a sim on the lot wearing long curly 20 K hair and also a 20K necklace along with other meshes and recolours. Decide what's more important. For me it would be easier to give up the jewellery than the hair. I would also look at your settings, are shadows on full? Try them dropped to medium. Is distance on far? Try dropping it to medium or low. keep working things down until your laptop is happy.


Yeah my items, especially hairs have high polygons. I rarely use jewellery or any other accessories. In fact, this is the first or second time I have used them on my characters, that's why I used to never have this problem. Actually my shadows are on medium and I'm using a hack to make them look different (as they looked like black squares). Yeah distance is on far, but I will definitely drop it as i don't see any use on it. I will! I just hope it doesn't die and the mirror problem is insignificant. It's just that, it's so weird! Like, when I put cancel, my sims are just normal, the game is normal. But if I apply changes, bam, it loads for like 2 minutes and then BAM, BSOD. Right I 'm doing a GUID scan in SimPE to see if that can help in performance too. Maybe it could be cause by some duplicates? Tho my duplicates are always removed in delphy's organizer, but I'm using SimPE to delete buy/build mode ones and also changing weird names that are in korean (which are especially from makeup).

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:43 PM #17
mustluvcatz
Former Hamster



Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,717
Games: Original, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 75899 in 149 Posts
31 Achievements

View My Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyx
I get what you're trying to say, is just that this is a problem I've had since 2016 or so, and the solutions given are always the same and I've tried them and they don't work, so I decided to make my own thread this year to see if someone has had a similar problem./

So you already know that what works for one person may not work for another then. But... if someone has a similar problem now, what worked for them may or may not work for you. Having tried prior solutions you should already know that you need to do some real ground work before asking for help so you can say "I did this, didn't work. This, didn't work. That didn't work." etc., etc. Yes you're doing that now, in a way, but not to the extent that you need to.

One thing I'm curious about: if you turn off reflections and try to apply the changes in/at the mirror, what happens? (Or have you tried that already and just not said?)

Edit: As far as I know there is no program for TS2 that will tell you if a certain package file is corrupt or not. I've had files get corrupted out of the blue and the only way I knew something wasn't right was that the object/whatever didn't work the same in game anymore. A fresh download has always fixed that BUT I really don't think that's your problem here.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 3:21 PM #18
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,497
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


If you're having issues with a CAS item, searching for GUID conflicts won't work, because CAS tems don't use GUIDs in that sense. They use instance and group numbers, and are linked via the 3DIR.

For the accessory tutorial - there are two main variants of accessories - the ones with just a frame and lens group, and the ones with frame, lens and rim.
* The mesh and recolor should always have the same number of groups as the original accessory, but the lens and/or rim group can be placeholders. Deleting them entirely from the packages doesn't seem to work and will make the accessories flash blue anyway.
* The accessory can have several frame groups, just like any other CAS item can have multiple groups with the same names (a technique often used with hairs to cut down the amount of textures needed, or to fix layering issues with transparent objects) - but they still need the placeholder lens/rim groups, or they'll flash blue.

Just to rule it out, are you using a maxis mirror or a particular custom mirror? If you haven't tried with a maxis miror I suggest you try that, because it coud be a problem with certain CC mirrors.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 6:25 PM #19
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
So you already know that what works for one person may not work for another then. But... if someone has a similar problem now, what worked for them may or may not work for you. Having tried prior solutions you should already know that you need to do some real ground work before asking for help so you can say "I did this, didn't work. This, didn't work. That didn't work." etc., etc. Yes you're doing that now, in a way, but not to the extent that you need to.

One thing I'm curious about: if you turn off reflections and try to apply the changes in/at the mirror, what happens? (Or have you tried that already and just not said?)

Edit: As far as I know there is no program for TS2 that will tell you if a certain package file is corrupt or not. I've had files get corrupted out of the blue and the only way I knew something wasn't right was that the object/whatever didn't work the same in game anymore. A fresh download has always fixed that BUT I really don't think that's your problem here.


It's just that I have never seen someone with this problem, or at least, nobody ever mentions it. i think the problem may be that my RAM overwhelms and I don't know why. I was checking my Process Lasso screen and when I turn on my laptop my ram usage is 40%, and I was like whyy so much if I just turned it on lol. I would think it's a virus, but not far ago I formatted my hard drive and installed a brand new antivirus (Malware Bytes). When I play, the usage goes to 89% or 95% so I was thinking, maybe the mirror makes it go to its max?

Hmmm, does that make any difference? I will try it, but I'm so scared it may not work and my laptop crashes again ;-; I have never done it, because I didn't think it would affect something.

That's a shame, it'd be amazing if there was a program like that. I'm planning on categorizing my CC now, but I hope the loading times don't turn slower. I've also recently changed some names of packages with Korean symbols (I used bulk rename utility, but that doesn't always work with korean names).

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 6:47 PM #20
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
If you're having issues with a CAS item, searching for GUID conflicts won't work, because CAS tems don't use GUIDs in that sense. They use instance and group numbers, and are linked via the 3DIR.

For the accessory tutorial - there are two main variants of accessories - the ones with just a frame and lens group, and the ones with frame, lens and rim.
* The mesh and recolor should always have the same number of groups as the original accessory, but the lens and/or rim group can be placeholders. Deleting them entirely from the packages doesn't seem to work and will make the accessories flash blue anyway.
* The accessory can have several frame groups, just like any other CAS item can have multiple groups with the same names (a technique often used with hairs to cut down the amount of textures needed, or to fix layering issues with transparent objects) - but they still need the placeholder lens/rim groups, or they'll flash blue.

Just to rule it out, are you using a maxis mirror or a particular custom mirror? If you haven't tried with a maxis miror I suggest you try that, because it coud be a problem with certain CC mirrors.


So does that mean it doesn't help at all that I put 2 placeholders for the lens group? Because there were 2 frame ones so I said "must be 2 for lens then" but it still flashes blue lul maybe I did it wrong
I'm using custom mirrors, I'm gonna try out with a Maxis one! I JUST HOPE MY LAPTOP DOESN'T DIE OH GOD

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 6:53 PM #21
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Gonna open my game now, it takes a time to load, I'll tell you what happens with what you told me!

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 7:00 PM #22
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,497
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


Renaming files with various symbols (anything else than - or _ and more than the one . in front of "package") is a good idea. So is keeping to a max of 3 subfolders, and shortening down long filenames. I think the character limit for file paths used to be around 250 characters (not sure if that's changed with newer WIndows versions or games), so it's a good idea to keep below that.

If the game or any other program on your computer uses more than 20% of the CPU, be wary. I've had instances where some program uses 90-95% of the CPU for no apparent reason (force quit did get rid of the problem), and it slows down and may even overheat the computer. Programs that use a lot of RAM without any apparent cause could also be a problem (the game may appear to use around 800 MB-4 GB).

If you use windowed mode, you can have the task manager running in the background, and test out if high CPU or memory use is causing the BSODs.

I've used the "Memory Improve Master" program occasionally when I had a lot of pink-flashing on my desktop computer. It did help a bit (it compresses or frees memory, particularly if background programs hog memory)

Turning off your Antivirus program can also be helpful when running the game. I had MWB for a while, but had some annoying issues with it (memory hogs and lag, plus it kept running or restarted in the background even if I thought I'd temporarily deactivated it), so I removed it. Some antivirus programs can cause general computer lag and other issues, an some can even interfere with the game (quarantines important files). I had Norton for a while, and it kept screwing up the TAB mode (camera kept spinning uncontrollably). You may also want to turn off any RAM or CPU intensive programs you don't absolutely need to run in the background.

BSODs are often an issue with hardware, and could for instance happen if the RAM slots are going bad for some reason (sparks, dust, etc.) - my desktop computer seems to have an issue with this, and also throws BSODs at me (last few years it's happened randomly when starting up TS2, possibly due to not being able to access the needed RAM).

Quote:
So does that mean it doesn't help at all that I put 2 placeholders for the lens group? Because there were 2 frame ones so I said "must be 2 for lens then" but it still flashes blue lul maybe I did it wrong


You just need one placeholder group for each unused mesh part (so one for lens and/or one for rim). Make sure to check the recolor file - the groups included in the mesh file should match the groups included in the recolor.
Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2019 at 7:24 PM.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 8:40 PM #23
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Ok, sorry for the late reply! My laptop downloaded some updates and stuff. I'm starting to short down the names of the file rn! I have several files that go "2bdbsadhasdsa3rjd.package" and I'm like,lul, I don't know what the heck is that, I might as well change it xD. I closed every other program, I closed discord, CC cleaner, I only opened my antivirus and task manager and CCC. I'm going to post pictures of how the performance went.

By the way, I turned off reflections and used a maxis mirror and IT DIDN'T CRASH! I'm surprised, I was expecting it to, but it went as if nothing, and my RAM never went up when I used the mirror. Now the things is I don't know if it worked because I turned off the reflections, or if It's because of the mirror.

I just uninstalled Malware Bytes and I have Eset 32 running, maybe that's better? In fact I think my performance improved, even though my game took longer to load, I prefer it to load slower than the BSOD. I also cleaned my hard drive during this while and deleted many stuff I didn't need.

How do I see the groups in the recolor file? the flashing blue is fixed for a while now because i used the mirror and as I told you, everything went fine! But that solution is temporary

I'm going to put pictures of how my laptop performed now, and you will also see how it was when i went to the Maxis mirror with reflections off, when I just opened the game, and when I closed it. i also got a looot of lagg when activating free will? I don't know why? Because it's not the activities the sims do; I disabled free will and they were still doing the same things and the lagg went away, it's weird. It happens everytime I activate it.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 1.png
Views: 0
Size:  697.9 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 2.png
Views: 0
Size:  602.3 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 3.png
Views: 0
Size:  1,019.1 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 4.png
Views: 0
Size:  572.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 5.png
Views: 0
Size:  907.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 6.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.08 MB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 7.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.30 MB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 8.png
Views: 0
Size:  1,009.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 9.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.19 MB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 10.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.13 MB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 11.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.59 MB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Ram usage 12.png
Views: 0
Size:  74.8 KB  

What's the point?
Old 13th Feb 2019, 8:43 PM #24
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,497
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
3 Achievements


If you've downloaded houses, the "2bdbsadhasdsa3rjd.package" may be either mailbox/trashcan recolors, or renamed recolors (because that happens sometimes).

When I download houses, I always go through the CC and remove the mail/trash files, because they're annoying little buggers that gets added to any and all houses you package (possibly related to the buyable mailbox/trashcan mods). Unless you take precautions (cleaning CC from houses) they spread like the flu, and are really annoying since they multiply like dust bunnies. Some can potentially cause issues, possibly even crashing. I've seen buyable mail/trash items disguised under random names.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 8:47 PM #25
Hammyx
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 205
Games: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
If you've downloaded houses, the "2bdbsadhasdsa3rjd.package" may be either mailbox/trashcan recolors, or renamed recolors (because that happens sometimes).

When I download houses, I always go through the CC and remove the mail/trash files, because they're annoying little buggers that gets added to any and all houses you upload (possibly related to the buyable mailbox/trashcan mods).


Yeah I downloaded houses a long time ago, but I don't think they're for trash or mail because one day I deleted those recolors in the sims 2 clean pack installer. I think they're for clothes because that's what I have the most, but I don't know. Honestly if I don't know what it is, I usually don't touch it. But I'm gonna rename all of those files because I have a bunch and it makes loading slower.

Edit: Btw! With discord and chrome my RAM usage goes to 34% now, I think that's good? It usually went to 40 and even 50, maybe its because I uninstalled MWB.

What's the point?
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.