Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 3233
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 296 times.
Search this Thread
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 6:34 AM DefaultWhere can I find a mod to give the basegame clothes cleaner/sharper edges? #1
sam1640
Original Poster

Test Subject

I'm just looking for a mod that will fix this base game clothing problem. It's not a serious problem, but it is slightly annoying when you have a really nice looking sim but, their outfit looks wacky because the edges of the clothes look so low quality compared to the sim. Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may offer.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 6:55 AM #2
nitromon
Mad Poster

7 Achievements

You can try HD mod, but it is pointless unless the textures themselves are high quality.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 5:01 PM #3
Deshong
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1640
I'm just looking for a mod that will fix this base game clothing problem. It's not a serious problem, but it is slightly annoying when you have a really nice looking sim but, their outfit looks wacky because the edges of the clothes look so low quality compared to the sim. Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may offer.

What are your graphic settings because that can affect how Sims, clothes, objects, the world looks. Not to mention, if you don't at least have a compatible standalone graphics card, rendering will not look the best and is bound by whatever the capabilities are of the hardware. Though, there are some CAS items that looks poorly made.
Here is what some of the base game clothes look like in my game. All my settings are maxed out except for High Detail Lots and TS3 is run on an older but still high-end gaming desktop. I have also tweaked my NVidia settings to allow for clearer and crisp visuals and use the highest resolution of my monitor which is 1920 x 1080.

Old 23rd Feb 2019, 9:34 PM #4
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

I feel your pain, OP.

I don't have the best simming computer in the world, but the one I do have is not a slouch either.

Here's Vlad being his handsome self and yet all I see when I look at this picture is the fuzzy stuff in his chest pocket. It reminds of the nesting material that can be purchased for hamsters.

If you have a decent computer, download custom content pieces that you feel are important. It's not you, it's Maxis.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vlad.png
Views: 0
Size:  143.7 KB  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 1:38 AM #5
nitromon
Mad Poster

7 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Here's Vlad being his handsome self and yet all I see when I look at this picture is the fuzzy stuff in his chest pocket.

Is that with the sims detail on high? Because I still find some clothings like that even on the highest setting. Usually in women's wear around the necklines. Since not all of them have this issue, I surmise some of them simply use a lower resolution texture, which cannot really be fixed even with HD mod etc... unless the textures themselves are replaced.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 2:50 AM #6
Gargoyle Cat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Is that with the sims detail on high? Because I still find some clothings like that even on the highest setting. Usually in women's wear around the necklines. Since not all of them have this issue, I surmise some of them simply use a lower resolution texture, which cannot really be fixed even with HD mod etc... unless the textures themselves are replaced.

Yes it is. I take all sim pictures that way.

There are some Maxis clothes that are okay, but most of them look like they've been chewed on. I agree, the necklines on female clothing are in some cases the worst offenders. Ties are another one as seen on Jonah.

I'd like to know who thought this was okay. They were either blind or just didn't give a flyin' fig.

I don't know what it is, but it is really annoying. If I don't feel like downloading custom content, I fix the edges in Photoshop. People poo-poo on images being 'shopped' but since I'm not a creator and the pictures are just for show, who cares. If somebody wants to know how I fixed something, all they have to do is ask. A HD mod isn't going to fix things like the fuzz in the pocket of Vlad's suit or the edges of Jonah's tie. It is a case of leave it, fix it or don't use it.
Screenshots

Name:  Jonah.png
Size:  135.6 KB  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:51 AM #7
nitromon
Mad Poster

7 Achievements

I think it is because more than 1 EA staff worked on these clothings, so they differ in quality. I just looked through some screenshots and some has perfect neckline while others have fuzzy necklines.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:11 PM #8
sweetdevil
Theorist

20 Achievements

I'd hazard a guess that this is related to how the clothing is meshed and UV mapped. Take these two dresses, for example (see image attached to post).

The dress on the left has a crisp neckline, while the one on the right is blurry. The difference is that the neckline for the left dress is meshed, while the neckline on the right is drawn directly on the body. The UV map is surprisingly small, and this - coupled with the relatively low polycount - leads to the texture being stretched vertically a lot. The textures are also fairly compressed and can sometimes be badly painted as well.

Furthermore, if areas with multiple recoloring channels are on the same "level" of meshing, you will almost always see pixelation where the channels meet - see the preset in the middle. This seems to happen more with red.
Screenshots

Name:  meshing-comparison.jpg
Size:  466.8 KB  

My Simblr | CC reuploads: pocci | Hal's Archive | mitarasi | Modish Kitten | Kewai-Dou
If you have concerns about my stuff, please PM me! I see PMs much faster than thread comments :)

Section jump: