Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 3:31 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 24th Feb 2019 at 8:48 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default (solved) AnyGameStarter on different drive?
Help now available in the AGS thread. Thanks, all!

Hi...I would love some help figuring out how to install the AGS for UC on C:drive, while my full game remains on D:drive. I have been told doing this might prevent the weirdnesses which otherwise plague me with the AGS.

I can install and use the AGS on my main drive, but I cannot create more than one Anygame, and I can never run my full game with it installed, as the AGS hijacks the path, and then will not run any more either. I have been dealing with this by doing everything I can with the AGS, uninstalling, swearing a lot while I figure out how to fix the full game path, and hoping not to need the AGS again anytime soon. The program even hijacks save files from other games, usually nothing to do with Origin or EA, but today including SimCity4, so that my terrain maps can no longer be found for editing by SC4.

It would be so much nicer if it just worked, but I can't figure out how to install the AGS properly on a different drive. Numenor is not around to ask. I've tried a number of approaches. Sometimes the file structure seems to be incomplete. I'm on Win10, Ultimate Collection. Happy to provide further information as needed.

Can someone advise?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 4:34 AM
Could directory junctions help? (I generally use Link Shell Extension to work with them.)

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 8:04 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 8th Feb 2019 at 8:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Could directory junctions help? (I generally use Link Shell Extension to work with them.)

Don't know, never heard of them before. Will have a look at your link.

ETA: I don't follow that very well, but I also found info on hard links which might be useful in fooling the AGS about where it is...but only once the program is installed, as far as I can see. Which puts me back at square one.

The automatic installer puts it into D:drive. Using the debug installer provided, I can tell it to install to a Documents folder in C:, but then it wants the EA GAMES folder there too, and does not seem to install fully anyway. After uninstalling the faulty AGS, I need to run debug again, to repair the file path, otherwise it stays confused.

I hope I am being clear enough. Lots of brain fog at present, so I try to do anything demanding first thing, when I am brightest.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 8:29 PM
Numenor was on here yesterday, so it may be worth calling him. @Numenor
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Numenor was on here yesterday, so it may be worth calling him. @Numenor

I had not thought Numenor would be around at all - certainly has not been answering queries on the AGC UC thread. I have sent a PM.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 4:34 PM
I'm here Hi @Simsample and @aelflaed, and thanks for sending me a PM, or I wouldn't have known about this problem.
I've always had a complex drive structure in my PC's; for years I've had "My Documents" on drive K: and my TS2 game folder on P: (an SSD); now my current PC has an SSD system drive (C: ) so I installed for the first time TS2 on C:, but the documents still reside on K:.
Therefore, I think that having the game and/or the documents on different drives is not a problem for the AGS; maybe the culprit is the damned "TM" character contained in the default folder names. I battled for a long time to keep my folder names without the "TM"; but eventually I had to surrender to Origin's wicked stubbornness and accept the default folder names.
Let me check the other thread with the original help request and the AGS logs.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 9:38 PM
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 11:19 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 14th Feb 2019 at 8:58 PM.
Default thread can be closed
Thanks for checking in, Numenor - will go check the download thread for more.
And thanks for the PM suggestion, simsample!

This thread can be closed - help is now being provided in the download thread.