Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 10:16 AM
Default Precious, classic The Sims moments
What are some of your favorite moments that seem to express what is wonderful about the original Sims game?

One of mine is when the Sims look up at you, when you've given them too much to do or ignored their needs, as if to say, "What kind of a god are you?????"
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 5:28 AM
What comes to mind for me first and foremost is the Simlish and ultra awesome music tracks, especially in Superstar. The audio is a big part of what makes TS1 IMO.

My favourite Simlish line, "C'mo Snala!"

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 12:34 PM
Firstly when I first started to play The Sims I didn't know that if you made a male and a female sim they would not be married (I was 6 ok?). So I never understood why they'd never both sleep in the same bed. But I'll always remember how the sim that didn't sleep would be in pyjamas and go "uhuh, uhuh" and shake their head (disapprovingly?). Last year I finally learned why: the relationship bar was a thing.

And Bob Newbie brushing his teeth :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 3:01 PM
Dancing on the dance floor and suddenly the music changes to Hawaiian, so everyone changes into leis and grass skirts. Cultural appropriation, but funny. (Possibly I wouldn't find it so if I were Hawaiian.)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 3:12 AM
Realized that Sims could suffer from depression-like symptoms when you try to get them to do strenuous activities.

It was at that moment that these simulations were practically human and I was touched by this display of human behavior.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
What are some of your favorite moments that seem to express what is wonderful about the original Sims game?

One of mine is when the Sims look up at you, when you've given them too much to do or ignored their needs, as if to say, "What kind of a god are you?????"

This is reminiscent of the Futurama episode where Bender plays God and when he meets the God-like entity.

The line "If you do too much for them, they become dependent on you. If you do too little, they lose hope." Sums up why a mere mortal entity cannot become a God. The "playing God" episodes of various shows are my favorite at they delve into the dynamics of what makes any god of any sort special. My father drills me on the fact no one is perfect because it takes away from the god's supernatural status.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
This is reminiscent of the Futurama episode where Bender plays God and when he meets the God-like entity.

The line "If you do too much for them, they become dependent on you. If you do too little, they lose hope." Sums up why a mere mortal entity cannot become a God. The "playing God" episodes of various shows are my favorite at they delve into the dynamics of what makes any god of any sort special. My father drills me on the fact no one is perfect because it takes away from the god's supernatural status.
Interesting thoughts.

As the Sim puppet master, we're all little gods to our little people. I saw that someone "disagreed" with my opening post and my guess would be that they are offended by my use of the word god. Please note that I used a little "g", not the big one. To my mind there is a world of difference when speaking about God and god or gods. These are different concepts. As a Sim "god" (not God), I control, I direct, I make things happen, but I am not all those things that God is.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Nov 2015 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre

It's always so challenging to make friends in this game, and you get some wonderful pop up messages through phone dialog.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 10:39 PM
Yes, it's extremely difficult to make friends in Sims 1, since on Ultimate Collection they gain something like 2 short-term points per positive thought bubble when selecting "chat." It's also the safest option to try to build relationships, and the long-term points build even more slowly, so it's an extremely slow process compared to Sims 2 (the only other Sims game I can compare it with). However, the Sims in this game don't age (except from baby to child, or through magic) so they have virtually unlimited time to build the relationships. It does make the built-up friendships and even marriage even more impressive though.

I think my favorite moment is the "stock options" chance card in the Hacker career. Some chance cards do a little, this one does a lot.

Or the moment when I did my first actual "party," and the mime showed up. Was definitely time to read up on how to run a successful party, or, more importantly, don't just invite several people over just to watch TV, you won't like the result.

@VerDeTerre: That, or they disagree with the idea that anything that cannot be scientifically proven doesn't exist. Whatever the reason, online debate doesn't solve these matters and it's best to let them believe what they want to believe.