Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 12:29 AM
Technically 99% done, but actually 100% because three pieces of CC I downloaded long ago have had their threads entirely deleted. It'd be nice if there was some way to remove those deleted CC in My Downloads, or at least flag them as "deleted" or something so they don't count in the "thanks" percentage.
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
#52 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 12:48 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 27th Oct 2013 at 2:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by alverdine
Well to me it's about courtesy; It's like someone handing you a gift in real life with a smile on their face and with good intentions, only to snatch it up without bothering to utter a measly "thanks" in return. Even if the gift is not something you end up using or is slightly broken, you would still say thank you IRL. That's why I felt bad about having not thanked many of my previous downloads and wanted to rectify it.
The fact that someone has taken the time to even make something at all and upload it in the hopes of making someone else's game more enjoyable is reason enough to give thanks, I think . Maybe specific numbers aren't important, but it's a nice reminder to be more courteous.

That was beautifully put, and that last bit about numbers vs. courtesy really made sense to me. It is a joy to share, and extra nice when someone says they're glad someone shared.

-------------------------------

missroxor In the last two days, there has been a definite increase in the thanks clickies I received. The daily thanks clickies rate looks at least 3X higher in the past two days than it has been before, just an eyeball estimate. Public number sharing isn't my thing, but can look at and PM you specific numbers if you can't look at Delphy's data. I hope that helps site staff with your impact analysis.

:lovestruc thanks clickers :lovestruc Your thanks clickies from the "thanks-clicking" event ARE noticed and appreciated. I was not the least bit unhappy with thanks clickies or downloaders before, but I sure won't turn down an extra big helping of warm fuzzies from downloaders who want to give one.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#53 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 2:24 AM
I'm 100% too, but I can't seem to access the neck width slider mod to thank the download. :[
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#54 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 2:42 AM
My thanks percentage went from 3.27% of total downloads to 7.58% of total downloads(a day). TBO, I stopped looking at thanks because it was kinda disappointing, especially coming from TS2. 2 million downloads and only 78k thanks... see what I'm saying? But it's even worse for a new creator trying to gauge if people actually like their creations.

So, let your creators know you like what their doing, they really have no other way of knowing since we can't watch you play.

Happy Thanks Clicking.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Bunned
#55 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 2:53 AM
Wow, I had a terrible percentage! It's up to 100% now! Hopefully I'll remember to thank the creators more in the future, I felt guilty seeing some of my favorite creations un-thanked!

Here's my nifty blog- Stories Drive Us
The power of imagination makes us infinite. ~ John Muir
Undead Molten Llama
#56 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 3:19 AM
In the interest of record-keeping, I will say that my daily thanks yesterday jumped to 475% of the average number of daily thanks I'd gotten over the previous two weeks. So, thanks to the thankers. You all did, indeed, make me smile. See: It's been even higher today, but that's probably because I have a new upload up, my first new one in about a year and half, so I'm not really going to count that. As I said before I'm not really fussed about whether or not downloaders thank me (although I do appreciate it, of course!). However, I AM something of a statistics nerd, so it'll be interesting to me to see whether or not this drive has a more long-term effect, perhaps due to raising downloader awareness of the fact that the "Thanks" button does, indeed, exist.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#57 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 4:05 AM
Well here goes it to get from 2% to100%

Check out my Tumblr its called Sims2pictures

Call me Colin
The other one
Original Poster
#58 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 8:39 AM Last edited by missroxor : 27th Oct 2013 at 10:18 AM.
I’ve gotta say, I’m really chuffed to see so many people willing to take time out of their day (apparently over an hour in some cases! ) to go back and show their thanks. That alone is enough to give me the warm and fuzzies, lol. It’s great hearing from creators too and glad to see you’re noticing some difference So a big thank-you from me to all those who're taking the time to do this!

Quote: Originally posted by Klaartje68
This is a BRILLIANT idea :D! Thank you! Can we pretty please have one of those thermometer thingies (I so hope someone gets what I mean, still need my first cup of tea) that keeps track of the site average? It would be awesome to see that grow.

Sorry that I didn’t respond to you sooner Klaartje. We actually had a discussion about this in chat right after you posted and a couple of mods were batting around ideas on how to do this as a fun little feature on the side. There was talk of having a goal, as if it was a donation drive rather than a thanks drive, like maybe trying to raise the average thanks for all downloads by 10% or something and have the thermometer thingymabob track the percentage. Unfortunately, the people that would actually know how to implement such an idea are currently suffering from some strain of man flu and even when they’re back on their feet swivel chair again there are a lot of other higher priority site changes that need to be worked on. So I don’t think this will happen this time but it’s a nice idea and something to keep in mind if we do another one of these next year

Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
I'm personally very uncomfortable with all this public sharing of numbers. I know it's what the OP specifically asked for, and that others are just fine with it, I get that, but I still have concerns about quantifying and comparing people's gratitude. It's not a number and shouldn't be compared as such. I'd really rather just see downloaders say "I raised my thanks percentage because I want to spread warm fuzzies" or creators say "I got more thanks clickies and now I have warm fuzzies" instead of actual numbers. If Delphy and site staff want to know what the actual numbers are, want to know how much of an effect "thanks-clicking" had, I'm sure they have a database of those numbers they can look at. Really not trying to rain on the Warm Fuzzies Parade, not at all, just don't think public number comparisons are the best way to go about this. The first post asked creators to share before / after thanks percentages and actual screengrabs of graphs. I don't feel at all comfortable doing that, although I get nobody is trying to make me uncomfortable.... Public number sharing isn't my thing, but can look at and PM you specific numbers if you can't look at Delphy's data. I hope that helps site staff with your impact analysis.

Honestly, we weren’t planning on any formal impact analysis or data collection or anything like that and there is no need for anyone to tell anyone else their thanks percentage. I think you’re over-thinking this... perhaps due to my wording on the original post. D: It would simply be nice for us to hear back from both sides (whether it’s a screen grab, a number or just , “hey, I thanked a bunch of creators/I saw my thanks numbers jump”) to see if this sort of thing actually has people willing to participate/is wanted/is helping in the way we hope.

We actually came up with the idea to do this because numerous creators in various posts spread over the forum and over time had brought up the subject of feeling a little unappreciated and disheartened because of the grab-and-go style that they felt their content was being downloaded with. We’re trying to listen to users of all types and do what we can to make the site work for as many users as we can. It might not be something we’ve excelled at 100% of the time but it’s something we’re working on improving. There isn’t a whole lot we as a site can do to “make” people give thanks though and we wouldn't want to force people into it anyway. I mean, we get that sometimes people aren’t happy with a particular download or it just didn’t end up being useful for them but I suspect that a lot of the time it’s just that people are in a rush and forget. I’m sure we all do it; I know I have (18% of the time ). So the quickest and easiest way to try to improve that situation, that we came up with so far, is to just draw attention to the thanks and comments functions. That’s all this is really. We’re not trying to make people feel guilty or bad about their percent we’re just saying, “Hey, remember there’s a thanks button here... creators love it when you show appreciation by pressing it!”

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
If you’ve thanked 100% already give yourself a pat on the back I was a bit embarrassed to see that I hadn’t said thanks to 18% of the creators who’s things I’d downloaded.

I had a read over the OP again and found a couple of sentences that are poorly worded (typo to boot). By bringing up my own embarrassment, I insinuated that there is some kind of shame in not having 100% and that 100% is the goal to aim for. I’ve re-worded that in a way that I hope is less leading (see below). Sorry that I didn’t notice it before.

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor (second pic of the tutorial)
At the top of the screen you can see how many creations you have thanked represented as a percentage of your overall downloads. There is no good or bad percent of thanks to have, after all, nobody expects you to thank something if you were unhappy with the download for one reason or another. All we’re asking is that you have a glance over the ones you haven’t thanked to see if there are any that you missed unintentionally You can filter the table to show the non-thanked downloads first by clicking on the “Thanked” header.

As for people feeling guilty or bad about not thanking: I get where you’re coming from and I agree that people shouldn’t feel bad. But personally, I can’t help it I actually feel a little pang of guilt when I download from sites that don’t have a thanks button (or maybe they do and I’m just not seeing them) and I did feel guilty when I saw that my thanks percent was in the low 80s. I tend to download in a very similar way to how Qnshr5 described though. It’s only really if I go on a rare DL binge to grab a bunch of stuff that I might use in a contest that I would possibly DL stuff without first thoroughly reading the post, looking at all the pics and deciding if I really need it in my game. That’s why I feel like I personally have no excuse for a low percentage :p

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
dodgy builder
#59 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 8:56 AM
I had 96%, now I have:

You have thanked 100% of your downloads! Well done, the creators will appreciate the feedback!

Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#60 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 2:57 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 28th Oct 2013 at 3:06 PM. Reason: edited to add image
Cat, I'm with you about thanking creators. I was around 33% when Miss brought up this idea, and have since pulled my number up to 68%. I don't want a perfect 100%, but I do want to make sure I thank every download that I currently use in my game, previously used for a while in my game, learned something from by pulling it apart, or am just amazed at the skill and creativity that went into something. I download a bunch of stuff that never lasts more than a minute in my game for one reason or another, and the thanks column lets me know if it was something I'd want to hunt down again if my computer ever died. I'm sure that 68% is going to get closer to 75% after I load this recent batch of downloading spree spoils into my game.

As a creator, I've enjoyed seeing a noticeable spike in my thanks count for the last few days. It isn't much, but it is cute and very much appreciated. I've gone from around 25 thanks per day to 125! (I tried to post a pic, but dunno what's up with the server atm...)

Edit: Hey, the upload server thingy is working for me again. Have a look at the lovely little spike in thanks counts!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 3:25 PM
I usually have a "thanking day" once a week or so to thank all the creators since i download so much stuff :3
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#62 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 5:50 PM
As I creator, I've noticed my thanks has gone up in the past couple of days so thank you to everyone who has gone back and showed their appreciation. I'm with cmo: I stopped looking at thanks after awhile because they never seemed to correlate to the downloads. And, as a downloader, I was super low before this idea came up but I've improved after realizing that I completely forget about thanking things. So tsk, tsk to myself but this was a great idea to remind us that the thank button does exist.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Not actually evil.
#63 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 6:57 PM
missroxor Thank you! I really appreciate the rewording of the first post very much. I think it is much better now. You're absolutely right about the number of creators who were sad about "grab-n-go", and I am happy they're getting more thanks clickies.

Phae Thanks, was worried I'd come across as just a grumpy party pooper, so your post (and missroxor's) was reassuring. It does feel good to thank stuff that's brought us fun or helped us learn, it really does! I'd mash the heck out of the thanks buttons for some tools and plugins and alpha mesh uploads if I could click multiple times. And yeah, that uptick in thanks is nice to see.

Site Helper
#64 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 7:13 PM
I was one who was "guilt tripped" into thanking every download a few years ago... But now it's changed. I don't browse the downloads very often, but when I do, and something really interesting catches my attention I thank it. Not because I'm planning to download it (although sometimes I do that, too. My game prefers as little as possible in it, so I need to be picker than I would like about what goes into it.) but because I really like it for some reason. I know for a fact that I've thanked a lot more things than I've downloaded, and I've not often downloaded anything that hasn't intrigued me enough to go back and try to thank it more than once. So even though my thanks percentage tends to be 100%, it's not just a second download counter for me.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 7:00 AM
contribootin'...
Scholar
#66 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 12:50 PM
Someone is disagreeing each post, because he/she didn't thank the creators properly!

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#67 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 12:54 PM
@romerjon - as long as they thank the first post of this thread - it has afforded them some amusement clicking all those disagrees one by one

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Scholar
#68 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
@romerjon - as long as they thank the first post of this thread - it has afforded them some amusement clicking all those disagrees one by one

@Lee - Hehe okay then Lee

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Not actually evil.
#69 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 6:03 PM
The Mystery Disagreer missed RomerJon's latest post! They're not keeping up!

Scholar
#70 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 7:48 PM
Thanks to this I discovered that I'm terrible with hitting the thanks button! Anyway, now fixed and am at 100%; working on the basis that if I liked it enough to download it, I ought to thank those who spent the time making it! Even if I no longer use it in my game...

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 1:41 PM
Yay! I'm done thanking. Now 100 percent..Meanwhile, as a creator 43 thanks so far. Hmm not bad I still have one upload so far...Anyway, thanks...erm..."thankers"!!
Field Researcher
#72 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Randee15
Technically 99% done, but actually 100% because three pieces of CC I downloaded long ago have had their threads entirely deleted. It'd be nice if there was some way to remove those deleted CC in My Downloads, or at least flag them as "deleted" or something so they don't count in the "thanks" percentage.

Same here, I found I had one download that's gone. There are also a few downloads I didn't like as much on screen as I did in game, and I have NOT thanked those (sorry!)

I was shocked at myself, actually, I couldn't believe the number of downloads I'm truly, truly grateful for that I hadn't thanked yet, some of which things I've used for YEARS! yikes! Bad Jag!

On the flip side, I've seen a few more thanks come my way, thank YOU thankers. Personally I value the feedback a little more, because I'd rather hear what people think, how my upload works in their game (if it does at all), etc. But thanks are appreciated, too. I've taken to thanking people for things I did NOT download, as well, just to show appreciation, much the same way I might "like" a post on FB. So my real thanking numbers are higher, it's the download:thank ratio that needed work.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 11:24 PM
I am still scared at the thought of leaving a comment in the download section because I do not speak and write well in English. (I know google translation exists) But I feel unforgivable to have so often forgotten to click the Say Thanks button. This is not repentance, but I really really really appreciated the most downloads I've done on this site. I appreciate the work of the creators without whom I would have stop a long time ago to play Sims.
So I took my day to thank the many creators with whom I've downloaded. I tried to leave a short comment for those who have created mods, lots or items essential to my game and I want to thank the others that make my game more interesting. Thank you for all your work. :lovestruc

(Sorry for my bad english but i've not use google translation... Just my old dictionary...Sick)

By the way.... is there a Thanks button in this thread ?
Instructor
#74 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 11:48 PM
I've got a lot to thank but still going strong!

(P.S Did someone on the first page disagree with like EVERY post?)

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#75 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kumulus
I am still scared at the thought of leaving a comment in the download section because I do not speak and write well in English. (I know google translation exists) But I feel unforgivable to have so often forgotten to click the Say Thanks button. This is not repentance, but I really really really appreciated the most downloads I've done on this site. I appreciate the work of the creators without whom I would have stop a long time ago to play Sims.
So I took my day to thank the many creators with whom I've downloaded. I tried to leave a short comment for those who have created mods, lots or items essential to my game and I want to thank the others that make my game more interesting. Thank you for all your work. :lovestruc

(Sorry for my bad english but i've not use google translation... Just my old dictionary...Sick)

By the way.... is there a Thanks button in this thread ?
Your English is good I love receiving comments on my uploads, even if it's just 'I like it' or for instance someone left 'nice' the other day. So stop being scared and leave us a comment, we like it

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Page 3 of 5