Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 10:41 AM
Default Do you like Let's Plays?
Hey Simmers,

Just wondering who here likes to watch Let's Plays? I am obsessed with speed builds and LP's, and I've just started a new Le'ts Play series for StrangerVille, which you can watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4IRW_5FvM&t=37s

My reason for this post is I'm trying to gain feedback on what I can do better! I made LP's when Sims 4 first came out with a great response! It's been 2 years since my last one, and now I can't even get viewers. Thats why I'm turning to the simmers here to see if anyone has the time to give me some feedback.

If you have the time, I would love for you to watch the video and let me know what you think about it. Was it interesting gameplay for you to watch? How did you feel about the length? General feedback?
I'd also really love to know your thoughts on there being a facecam in let's plays. Do you find it hard to connect to the player without seeing them in real- time? Or are you happy to watch one without a facecam (like mine have been so far)
I would be so grateful for any feedback posted on the video or here in this thread. If you have a YouTube account, I'd love a supportive thumbs up on my video too, if you enjoyed it

Thanks in advance for the help!
DDSIM/ DanDaSimmer

Occasional Builder, Full time player. Check out my Let's Plays here!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 12:34 PM
are u trying to promote your channel or somethin
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 1:41 PM
Not a sims 4 player (I do have it but don't play it) so I'm not for the most part interested in sims 4 lets plays but I do like lets plays and I've watched them for years over a few different games. So to give you some general feedback on lets plays.

1. camera work. Slow down. For you filming, it may seem boring to look at the same exact screen and this causes you to zoom in and out. A lot of people do this-don't. Also don't swing the camera around and don't move it fast. It is quite all right to stay close to your character sim there and not move the camera. So if the only point is because "well this might be boring so I am adding interest" don't. Moving around too fast will for sure make some of your audience sick and they will unsub. I have had to do this. So I won't be watching any more than a few minutes as I am already screwing up my eyes from the movement. I would say camera work is the biggest thing new filmers get wrong.

2. Your voice is fine. Don't stream if you are sick or sniffing. You can do that if you have thousands of subs and they are anxious for a new video, otherwise just don't. Nobody wants to find a new lets player and hear them sniff and throat clear for half an hour. Very off-putting.

3. Don't assume the age of your audience. "Your parents or grandparents" >cough< there are tons of simmers on this site who are 30-40-50 plus and we also watch lets plays.

4. Don't play too fast. Talking about game speed. Whenever I find a lets player speeding through, missing things my first thought it "do you actually enjoy this game?" If the sims are asleep or at work sure, but constantly flipping to speed 3 during regular play is annoying. I don't know if you did this, but I think not.

5. Distance. Try to stay reasonably close unless you are showing an overview of a lot before getting in closer.

6. Pick something interesting. Subjective of course. I think your subject matter there is good.

7. Length is good.

8. facecams are good if they are not too large. Same goes for other things blocking the screen, keep them small and if they move across the screen not too often.

Really the only thing I think you need to improve upon is your camera work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 2:29 PM
I agree about the camera work.. I don't get dizzy too quickly, but I did while watching the beginning of your video..
I mean, I know you are exploring the new pack in this video, and you wanna see everything from all the directions
yet.. I don't know if you're not doing the same in your other videos.

other things I wanna add besides the great tips joandsarah77 gave you
you might wanna keep the background story about the character short and to the point, if have any at all
but it could have been just me, since I hate when people are making up stories before they even started to play
stories that comes together whilst playing are more acceptable imo, and less.. hmm.. awkward? Idk.

and, I think more appealing character, maybe younger and better/cute looking will help the viewers to feel more attached..
I just find it hard to emotionally connect with an old librarian type of woman/sim..

last tip would be the obvious one, to check other people's lets plays and see how they are going about it.. preferably people with a decent amount of viewers.
what they are focusing on and what people like about the way they play..
I would 100% recommend checking TheSimSupply's let's plays.. he's the only one I actually bare to watch, and enjoy it most of the time..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 3:12 PM
I will have to disagree slightly. I don't think characters need to be young, simply interesting. In fact, it's good to have a range of characters ranging from young to old doing a variety of things. keep things fresh. I thought she was cute.

I don't mind James' videos, I even watched some of his Sims 4 rags to riches (poor sim making money) except his speed 3'ing, that I do not like. :/ But he has such a good following he can get away with it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I will have to disagree slightly. I don't think characters need to be young, simply interesting. In fact, it's good to have a range of characters ranging from young to old doing a variety of things. keep things fresh. I thought she was cute.

I don't mind James' videos, I even watched some of his Sims 4 rags to riches (poor sim making money) except his speed 3'ing, that I do not like. :/ But he has such a good following he can get away with it.

Yeah, it's more about the feel that you get from the character rather than that character's age..
but look does take a part, and this character seemed a bit off to me
maybe I'm a very shallow person.. Idk

about Jame's videos, I don't mind his frequent use of 3X speed, but sometimes it causes him to oversee some obvious/important stuff, and this can be a little frustrating to watch..
that being said, he mostly use it when he does some boring and repetitive stuff, like building skills and such.. which I really don't mind, and kinda thankful for.

and I love his Rags to Riches series, especially the earlier ones.. I watched it all
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 11:23 PM
Well being a Sims 2 player I am watching his new sims 2 videos and head banging on keyboard a little.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 1:07 AM Last edited by MiniMimi : 20th Mar 2019 at 1:24 AM.
Incoming big wall of text!
I'm a big Let'splay vid adept, not only for Sims games. Watched yours and currenly watching James struggling with Sims 2 (hilarious!)
I agree with what joandsarah77, there's a couple of issues: slow down with the camera, I guess you're using the keyboard to rotate or something? With the mouth wheel it would be slower and smoother a bit, I got dizzy lol. Also the speed, don't do like James turner who keeps fast forwarding at light speed constantly then wonders what's going on because he keeps missing everything. Speed 2 is fine, never go speed 3 unless sims is sleeping or working. Last: don't assume your viewers' age, you'ld be very very surprised. I loved your voice and your narration (if that's the good word? ESL here) Also don't breath/laugh in the mic (happened a couple of times) and lower the game volume, it's way too high and covers your voice.

I also agree with joandsarah77 about your character, loved her! She's different from the usual Let's play young adults heroes and it's really a good thing. Plus she looks great and quite close to the real one. I personally liked the little story you made up, love how it's tied to the real one. Kudos for that. I personally like when the Let's Players makes a story for their sim. That makes the player more.. human. 'cause we tend to do that (well at least generally) and some do have quite elaborate characters I had an Elvis Presley in Sims 2 and he had a huge background I elaborated LOL In Sims 3 some premades have a lot of good material and I instantly adopted some of them and continued their already laid out story. (I kept the saves of my favorites, unlike Sims 2 where I lost everything; aw Elvis and his wife Anita Bonita... sob.)
I try to make stories for my sims, may they be from legacies, rotations or challenges games. Starting with who they will be, then what role they will play. Problems sometimes comes with sims that don't 'shed anything' (when they're teen and don't have any special traits combination) but it's generally only a matter of time to find their place in my sim community.

By the way care to share your Jessica Fletcher? Would love to get her from the gallery, story included ofc Good Sims 4 sims are rare.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 1:33 AM
Depends on what the LP is about for Sims. I enjoy watching 100 Baby Challenges, though I only enjoy those for Sims 4 if they got started after toddlers were introduced into the game. And sometimes, adding a story to the LP can be quite fun; just take a look at '100 Baby Challenge: Final Hope' by xSimSugar and Sims3Simbyote, who added a post-apocalyptic story to their challenge. I do feel the 'story' sort of fell apart past the first and second generations, but that is a problem with the 100 Baby Challenge in general.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 2:02 AM
Thought of a few more points to lets plays in general.

1) Use good CC. I find lets plays with none rather lacklustre looking. Again this is subjective and probably pertains more to sims 2 and other older games than sims 4. Sims 2 vanilla eyes eat my soul.

2) Unless a person states right away they are new to a game/doing a blind play through it's best that you know how to play the game you are live streaming. Don't be too quick to state what can't be done by the game if you are a new player. Ask your audience first, because most games have mods and cheats and you don't want to look like a dummy.

3)Don't constantly compare the games. A little bit of oh sims 3 had this or sims 2 did that is fine, but when a lets player constantly complain compares the game they are lets playing to another version of the game, it's unpleasant. Showcase what the game has not what it doesn't have
- unless the whole point of the video is a comparison video, in that case, compare away. Watching someone enjoy what they are playing is enjoyable, watching them gripe is not.

4) Make your characters looked varied. If the game comes with preset faces to choose from and you only ever pick 1 or 2, that's boring. So maybe you don't know how to use the games sliders or facial creator tools properly, that's okay, just try them out. But don't make a bunch of face 1 sims, slap on different hairs and call them good.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#11 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 4:30 AM
I only watch LGR's Let's Plays because I don't like watching LPs from Yibs who just think "everything is SOOO adorable oMG I LOVE IT!!!1!!1" Clint's cynicism gives me life.

Also, Duke Nukem.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 9:48 AM
Being over enthuasist seems to work great (although not much as akin to Clint's personality), which is pretty much anything can do. Squeake a lot and act feminine.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 4:31 AM
Oof, I see the disagree fairy is back.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#14 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 2:10 PM
I only watch Let's Play for Skyrim. Especially heavily modded Skyrim games. I watch Let's play for simmers when a new EP or new content in general is added. Or if they use an ungodly amount of CC.
Theorist
#15 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 2:40 PM
I adore Let's Plays. I don't have any feedback or advice but I wanted to wish you luck on your series!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 9:32 AM
Hi all,

wow thanks for your feedback! A lot of you had similar things to say (which I guess is good for me, makes it clearer to work on those areas). So I thought rather than replying individually I'll make some general comments back!

- Camera moving: This is something I do while recording and just playing my private plays. I'm not sure why, it's like I have to see whats going on from all angles! haha. I'll definitely work on not shifting the camera moving forward. MiniMimi, I actually do use a mouse, but I'll work on using it smoother maybe
Same can be said about playing at 3x speed. I notoriously play at a high speed until I need to make a decision, then I pause. Again, I will try not doing that!
- Assuming my audience: Some good points! I'm not sure why I commented that it was a parents or grandparents thing, when obviously adults use youtube and watch Let's Plays. Having said that, I'm 22 years old and I know not many people my age understand the brilliance that is Murder, She Wrote. So maybe I'm used to assuming my peers don't know who Jessica Fletcher is haha.

Thanks everyone for your tips and tricks as well! If you have any others, keep them coming!

Occasional Builder, Full time player. Check out my Let's Plays here!