Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#126 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So long as you have fun keep going. I enjoy my want based uni play and seeing sims fail out a lot more than seeing perfect grades on everyone.

It's not so much about perfect grades as it's nonsensical. You're at college it's not unreasonable to have a good time and study every once in awhile. It's not like these sims want anything interesting or unique to them -- it's things like take a hike, blog, hunt bugs and bird watch every single day. If those wants suited their hobby or their lifetime want I could see it but those wants are really generic filler wants that every sim seems to get. I'm enjoying mixing it up with more want based play - and having fun with where that takes me - but it has to make sense and feel right to me too.

I liked the challenge of getting these sims to graduate only by fulfilling wants and needs (and would have let the two who weren't Dagny's flunk out if it came to that) but I don't think strict want based gameplay is going to be how I go in the end. These characters all have backgrounds and overarching lifetime goals that need to influence their decisions as well to be satisfying for me I think. And suit my personality -- like I said I started out with the intention of playing want based but I ended up turning it into a mini game of getting these sims to do want I wanted them to do in a sneaky way.

Quote: Originally posted by MystAngel
To be totally honest, I sometimes restrain from cheats and mods even if they bring an advantage to me. For example, I don't use Perfect plants mod, because I like to be able to tend the garden and have full access to most growing plants. That choice however severely limits my landscaping possibilities. I drool over gardens like Voeille used to make, but I myself usually don't incorporate the same aesthetics in my lots. I have to find a compromise between these two extremes somehow.

My landscaping is modest on most of my lots for the same reason. Lush landscaping takes a lot of money or free time to maintain so it's just not something I give all of my sims but I do use Pescado's everyday gardener and a mix of real and fake plants so the really elaborate landscaping on large estates can be maintained.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:23 AM
Welp the pictures didn't post in my last attempt so here we go again! The house kinda looks odd since it's an attempt at a home business. Normally the first floor would get a bathroom and less cramped living space, but hey it's a special house. The apartment was also designed to go right up against Zarathustra's Coltrane Shopping Centre and was inspired by the thin apartment buildings you can find in Tokyo. The house is just a generic BC suburban home built sometime in the last decade or so, except with less curb appeal, the addition of an enclosed porch, and a store instead of a garage.
Screenshots

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing
Forum Resident
#128 Old 11th Apr 2019 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cord11
Welp the pictures didn't post in my last attempt so here we go again! The house kinda looks odd since it's an attempt at a home business. Normally the first floor would get a bathroom and less cramped living space, but hey it's a special house. The apartment was also designed to go right up against Zarathustra's Coltrane Shopping Centre and was inspired by the thin apartment buildings you can find in Tokyo. The house is just a generic BC suburban home built sometime in the last decade or so, except with less curb appeal, the addition of an enclosed porch, and a store instead of a garage.

I LOVE that studio apartment! @Cord11 - it looks PERFECT!
Alchemist
#129 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 9:48 PM
I have been intrigued by Phaenoh's version of the Apocalypse challenge, where career lots have to be provided for sims in each career, and the restrictions are divided into three tiers. Tier 1 is about the most basic essentials, food, security, sanitation. The idea is that your early lots should be upgraded as the challenge continues and conditions improve.

I have been building some lots for the beginning stages - first aid station, military base and food depot. I posted pics of those earlier here. The military/food depot at 3x3 is too big for this thread.

Moving on to Tier 2, Education seems like a priority, and a UN tent has been commandeered for the kiddies!
Screenshots
Theorist
#130 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 5:26 PM
Oh goodness this has been a fun read! I haven't touched TS2 for more than ten years (although I've played TS3 but haven't been able to play any for the past couple-and-a-half years). My desktop computer is having some technical problems so I just installed TS2 on my laptop and am getting ready to try to play it from where I left off all those years ago. Anyway, to the point, I admire anyone who can play in these tiny lots. I love them for Sims I don't have to play but I have to have elbow room for the Sims I play.

Quote: Originally posted by Giga
Well, I seem to have the worst luck. I downloaded innocent looking tables. Every time I wanted to go to surfaces, game crashed. I had to 50/50 to all my folders and then I just ended up deleting my whole surfaces folder cos who has time for that. Then I wanted pregnancy clothes, downloaded here, well now all pregnant women became invisible. I wanted to replace the vampiress outfit, but in-game it was borked, just the replacement though. The dress as a normal formal wear was fine. And just 3 examples that came to mind immediately. Oh and lets not talk about the nightmare of trying to get default replacements for the hairs.

Even though mods are more likely cause issues, you kinda are forced to fight it unless you want to go insane when playing.

Simple, simple solution for this: just create a folder within your Downloads, name it 1-testing or some such (so it can stay on top). When you add new CC put it in that folder until you have been able to play test it. If it crashes your game or just doesn't live up to your expectations it's SO easy to be rid of it. Most times I've had something crash in Buy Mode was when it required an expansion pack I didn't have.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#131 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 10:54 PM
Hi @Misty_2004 welcome back. A few things have changed and you may need the 4 gb patch and the graphic rules done to be able to play with high settings or much CC. There are sticky help threads for that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#132 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 12:14 AM
@joandsarah77, thank you! I did some searching around and tracked down stuff about doing graphics rules and I think it's working okay. I haven't been in Live mode for much longer than tracking down a couple of mods that decided to give me problems. When I switched computers years ago I saved everything TS2 to an external drive and after I got the game and x-packs installed and running moved my old games and downloads back in and surprisingly enough for the most part it worked.
Alchemist
#133 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 12:38 AM
@aelflaed, that lot is lovely! How did you do the roof? With the CFE cheat? I'm not familiar with Phaenoh's apocalypse rules and if players are not allowed to use certain cc during certain stages, but, in case you didn't know, there's outhouses that might fit your lot better. I use this one by NixNivis: https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/201...n-one-outhouse/.

And there's also arches and shutters you can use--you might like windkeeper's Miami Windows set at TSR: https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...dows/id/232375/ or NoFrills/sims2code's Don't Close Me Arch & Doors, which HugeLunatic has graciously reuploaded here: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=3966.0 (the Download button links to the originals and HL's add ons). I've attached pictures of the Don't Close Me Arch, which is all I have in my game, so you can get an idea of what it looks like.
Screenshots

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Alchemist
#134 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 7:04 AM
Sorry for double posting but I kept forgetting to take pictures, but I finally remembered today! I don't usually build tiny lots, but, I just recently built a couple of shops--not 1x1, idk if I could ever go that small, but they're 1x2. I haven't tested anything yet, but I think they came out nice.

Okay so, I've been renovating my Downtown and working on my "shady" side of it. It's not necessarily grungy, but it's where the smaller/lower income homes are and where things are more liberal/anything goes. Lots of bars and adult-themed shops next to regular businesses and homes. Anywho, first I made a hookah lounge type place:

One thing about building all this stuff lately is that I'm learning how to recategorize objects and changing the weight of items so that they fit on shelves, etc. and have been doing that as I go, so I've slowly been increasing my building and modding skills! I was quite proud when I figured out how to get my adult shops set up, with the shelves stocked properly, as full as they can be! I figured out how to make the PCsims marijuana buyable from the catalog and fit it properly on the shelf--that took a while--and changed the object weight of a few other items, too, like the simslice beer. I even found that I had already downloaded some 'Trying to buy alcohol? You need id' posters. Finally, my download binges are justified.

And then finally, I have some houses for the area. I originally had planned apartments, but I thought the trailers came out a little too wide. Plus I'm a bit annoyed with apartments right now. Roommates are acting funky for me. Anywho, I decided to build some houses on a 1x4 lot--or, rather it's one house in different colored brick four times, .

And those are all my "tiny" lots for now. I look forward to testing them.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Theorist
#135 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 6:04 PM
@Phantomknight I love your little office buildings, which is kind of strange for me since usually I shy away from more modernish looking stuff. Then again I've been a little off lately as in yesterday I stripped a traditional Victorian-style house and am modernizing it a bit.
Alchemist
#136 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@aelflaed, that lot is lovely! How did you do the roof? With the CFE cheat? I'm not familiar with Phaenoh's apocalypse rules and if players are not allowed to use certain cc during certain stages, but, in case you didn't know, there's outhouses that might fit your lot better. I use this one by NixNivis: https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/201...n-one-outhouse/.

@Phantomknight, CC is absolutely encouraged for the apocalypse challenge, actually. Most of the apoc lots you can download are chock-full of custom content. I am trying to make a base set of lots without it - just to prove you can, and for shareability. I expect to add CC to them in my own game. So the outhouse is built using what EA gave me, and I would probably at least recolor it suitably for actual play. Yes, the roof arch is made with the CFE cheat, and on a second level, so the main room is properly weatherproofed.

I have a couple of outhouses and the PS portaloo, but I hadn't seen the Nixy one. Thanks, it's lovely. I like your bubble bar!
Alchemist
#137 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 10:44 PM
Thanks! And yeah, I get the no cc thing. While I appreciate the grunge look, sometimes I think creators go overboard. And I often find myself in the 'to use cc or not' conundrum--I download a lot of cc to use when building, but then when I actually start, I try to build without it. It doesn't really make much sense and I can't really explain it, but there you go.

Anyway I've always wanted to do a challenge using the maxis clothes that look all ripped and stuff. I'm not sure if it's castaway or spooky content or what, but there's some perfectly good apocalyptic looking clothes right in the game already. But I'm terrible at finishing challenges.

Page 6 of 6