Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2009 at 11:26 PM Last edited by Delphy : 13th May 2009 at 11:56 PM.
Default New look Profile Pages, Achievements, Subscription Groups, and possibly more
This is another one of the regular posts that I do, where I put new features live on MTS2. Today we have brand new profile pages (for all!), achievements, and a change to the way Subscriptions work. With possibly a lollipop.

Okay so, first:

Tabbed Profile Pages

This is basically a new version of the profile pages, but instead of having everything all on one big scrolling screen, it's now split up (similar to how the Download tabs work).

The following tabs are possible:

- Overview. This is the basic tab that shows Downloads, Policies, and other information like Signature.
- Gallery. This is a page that shows all of the default thumbnails (and larger pics, in lightbox style), for all downloads that creator has (See Fanseelambs profile for a better view.
- Articles This is a list of Articles, such as tutorials, news items, etc, that the person has written (this used to be on the main page at the bottom).
- Journal The journal tab lists the most recent 10 journal entries, all customised in the creators custom profile colours, if setup.
- Guestbook Similar to the journal, the Guestbook shows the most recent Guestbook replies, and additionally is now customised to your colours.
- Accomplishments This tab lists whether the creator has entered or gotten an Exceptional in one of our official creator challenges, but also lists any "Achievements". These are detailed below.
- Fave Creators This tab acts like the old "Fave Creators" tab on the old profile page with one difference - it is now available to all members.
- Fave Downloads This tab acts like the old "Fave Downloads" tab on the old profile page, again with the difference that now it's for everybody.

A couple of other things:
- Guestbooks now appear in the custom colours of the creators profile
- Journals now have the last 5 entries, rather than a chopped off last 1
- Favourite Creators and Favourite Downloads will always appear, even on non-creator profiles.
- I removed the mini-journal from the left sidebar
- Journal is now removed from the Overview page
- Challenge entries and wins are moved to the Accomplishments page
- Achievements will appear on the Accomplishments page
- The tabs are loaded in via AJAX using jQuery so should be fairly robust
- Moving data to other tabs results in less loading and checking on the main Overview tab, which means a little less work for the creators.
- Moved the "Other Info" panel to the left sidebar on the tabbed profiles, and renamed it "Member Activity".
- I've created a new tab for "Articles" that appears only if the person has articles or tutorials in the various sections. The articles also have the custom profile colours of the user now too. Articles have been removed from the "Overview" section.
- I've removed the "Top Download" from the "split" section on Featured Creators profiles (it was split with Personal Picks before) and instead moved it to the left sidebar directly below the Creator Info (avatar etc).
- The Personal Picks section now spans the entire row, and is centred (as opposed to being left aligned before). The number of personal picks is now a maximum of 8 if you are featured/moomoo etc, or 4 if you are picked. They do not appear at all if you aren't picked or featured. Personal Picks 5 and onwards appear on a second row and are left aligned just like the Download part (this is not going to change).
- I've also added a "Random Download" that isn't the top download and isn't displayed on the front page, but could be a Personal Pick. This displays just below the Top Download in the left sidebar.

I hope you will all agree that the tabbed profile pages offer a lot more information presented in a better fashion, and becuase a lot of things are split off into tabs that only load on click, should be a little lighter on the servers too.

One thing that I want to make clear to everybody: This change is not reversible - that is, you cannot go back to the old way of viewing profile pages. This is entirely deliberate and I have no plans to ever enable this. I feel that the tabbed pages in conjunction with jQuery/AJAX are the way ahead for the site, so my work is concentrated there.

Okay, so, next up:

Achievements

On the new tabbed profile pages you now have a tab called "Accomplishments". Part of this tab is the Achievements system. This is basically a way of having an "Achievement" (kind of like on Xbox Live) that you have done something on the site. We are starting off with Featured/Picked, Number of Thanks, and Number of Downloads, but will be expanding it to number of uploads, and then individual download section achievements (for example, my Mad Scientist achievement) later on.

We feel that this is a great way to showcase to the user what a creator is up to on the site, and is also a good way for a creator to check what Achievements they have accomplished.

Currently, the achievements system is run manually (once every couple of days), but as I ramp it up and add new ones in, it will become automated once every 24 hours.

Also, Thanks to Lethe_s and The_French_Sim for the original idea of Achievements, and fanseelamb, Phaenoh and plasticbox for the help. A HUGE thanks goes to HystericalParoxysm for drawing all the cute little people! Gotta catch them all!

Forum Subscription Views and New Posts changes

Those of you who use the New Posts screen may or may not have noticed that there has long been a link there to allow people to "filter" individual sections - either to hide or to show them - so that your New Posts experience is not neccesarily all cluttered up with Downloads.

What I have added today is a way that people can have different "Views" into the forum subscription system - for example, as a staff member, I have one View just for staff related forums, and another for more social things, and a final one just for subscribed threads, but as a Creator you might want to seperate out Modding forums from the social ones (for example).

To use this system just click the link that appears on New Posts (the line that says "To change or filter which forums display here, or to add a new view, click here".)

Finally, the New Posts screen has been modified so that Social Groups do not appear unless you specifically specify them to do so, and additionally, the Download forums do not appear in the Forum Subscription system anymore. This is becuase the Download browsing system is the best way to see new downloads, and as a Creator, you have access to the Feedback system to see comments on your own threads, so I felt that leaving this on New Posts was redundant to many people.

Thats pretty much it for now. Enjoy the changes!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
11 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th May 2009 at 11:34 PM
Just noticed the change - this is lovely - I do like the tabs for the downloads and now we have them for profiles too. Great Stuff!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 13th May 2009 at 11:43 PM
I just opened my profile page and I was pleasantly shocked.
I REALLY like the way it looks, the tabs are great for that, and I love they way the profile page colors are used when looking at my favorite creators and downloads.

Well done again, and thank you.

ClicknPsycho
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th May 2009 at 12:04 AM
This is wonderful. Thanks for the change!

cytö Sims Division
Questions or Comments?
Websitecytö
"Life is Short, Live Life Better"
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th May 2009 at 12:14 AM
Delphy, and all staff, this is freaking gorgeous, it is just, perfect. I absolutely love it, so much that I have been flicking through all my uploads using the gallery function :D

AWESOME beyond words, I will enjoy the achievements the most probably! :D

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:02 AM
Cool ^^ I really like the new setup!
Site Helper
#7 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:20 AM
I love it. But, I can't find my scorecard. Can you help me find it again?

May I ask what it means when you say that I'm a bunny?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:31 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the scorecard.

Mootilda - The bunny means you have a featured creation. You can see what it means by clicking on it.
Site Helper
#9 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:35 AM
Oh, I was just looking at the info that appears when you hover the mouse over the picture. I'll try clicking. Thanks.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:38 AM
No problem, Mootilda.

I also wanted to say thanks for the changes guys. I like them.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th May 2009 at 4:04 AM
You can find your scorecard in the "Creator" dropdown menu at the top of every page.
Site Helper
#12 Old 14th May 2009 at 4:11 AM
Thanks. I'd never noticed that before. I'm so glad that it's still available.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th May 2009 at 4:56 AM
wow, delphy, you outdid yourself! Me likes it! :D

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th May 2009 at 5:34 AM
Delphy,

You did an outstanding job! I like it very much... MTS was already a good forum, but it just keep going better!

Quote:
~~Simmies...... All around the world~~
Do you like more to see??:)Look here!
Please do not upload any of my stuff to other websites without my permission. Thank you!

Field Researcher
#15 Old 14th May 2009 at 6:34 AM
Hey! I love the way it looks now, but I have a question.

When I go into the journal tab, it displays an old entry from Dec 22, 2008, not the current entry. And there doesn't seem to be any way to scroll through the journal entries so that I can read them all (if I want to). Are the journals now just randomly going to pop up with an entry?

Again, I do love the site!

:lovestruc And will there be a shiny new bauble for people with Picked uploads?

Want to see all my Sims 2 creations, including my Star Trek items? Follow the link below to check out my Blog!

Puppetfish.Blogspot.com

Looking for Franny Sims Meshes? They can be found HERE!
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th May 2009 at 7:08 AM
Re the Achievements, you say that "we start out with Featured/Picked..." but my one picked upload (that I'm quite proud of ) isn't showing up under Achievements. Or did I misunderstand, and it isn't supposed to?

Other than that, I love, love, LOVE the changes! Brilliant job, as always!!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th May 2009 at 8:49 AM
Scorecard is now back on the profile pages and Journals on www fixed to show up in the correct colours.

Picked uploads will be added to the Achievements system later today.

Puppetfish, the journal entry problem was because I forgot to copy one of the journal files to www. This is now fixed and working fine.

Anime Addict
#18 Old 14th May 2009 at 9:34 AM
Great job Delphy, i really like the idea, looks awesome.
Keep up the good work! :D

My Alter Ego's
MTS | The Sim Supply | The Exchange

"I used to have Multiple Personality Disorder but we're ok now"
"Click here to find out how to keep an idiot busy for hours"
Forum Resident
#19 Old 14th May 2009 at 9:38 AM
All I can say is TARTARUS YEAH!!!!1oneoneone
I like those new profiles very much, and I also feel quite flattered to have had that achievements idea along with Lethe.
Live long and prosper, MTS2.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th May 2009 at 9:50 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 14th May 2009 at 10:30 AM.
hmm, now I have a question...how do we ADD journal entries? I can't seem to find a button for it. Maybe I'm just blind...?

Edit: figured it out: you have to click the link to your guestbook in your guestbook.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#21 Old 14th May 2009 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by puppetfish
When I go into the journal tab, it displays an old entry from Dec 22, 2008, not the current entry. And there doesn't seem to be any way to scroll through the journal entries so that I can read them all (if I want to). Are the journals now just randomly going to pop up with an entry?
My journal is exhibiting the same problem - only showing the oldest entry, rather than all of them. Is this something that needs to be fixed on a per user basis or once for all journals?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:44 PM
Rapsheba, You add Journal Entries the same way you normally do - using the Journal screen. Specifically, the Edit Journal in User Tools.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:45 PM Last edited by Delphy : 14th May 2009 at 2:01 PM.
Moghudson, Erm, your journal tab on your profile shows the 5 latest journal entries fine... It's not supposed to show ALL of them at all, only the latest 5.

Are you talking about something else or...?

Edit: Okay so I've noticed that when I view journals as a guest it only shows the oldest one of the 5 when it should be showing all 5. I suspect this is the issue thats reported so I'll look into it.

I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#24 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:50 PM Last edited by aninyosaloh : 14th May 2009 at 8:03 PM.
Awesome changes Delphy! THANKS to all!!

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Forum Resident
#25 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:21 PM
I love it! thank you Delphy & co! :D

I create for my amusement. I share for -I hope!- yours :)
Enjoy and ... Happy simming!
Page 1 of 4