Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:14 AM
Default Do your Sims live out your personal goals/ambitions?
Hello there.
Do your create your sims to live out your dreams, goals or ambitions in real life? These could be what you aim to achieve in real life one day or things that you have failed to achieve. Or was there a particular time in your life that you created just some Sims to do this?
Alternatively, have you created more 'beautiful' versions of yourself in Sims?

For instance:
# when I was in primary school I wanted a girlfriend. So I made a Sim version of myself with a Sim girlfriend.
# Now that I'm grown up, I hope to study medicine one day. And it turns out I have a Sim version of myself who is a YA studying that bio major at uni.

This is a life simulation game after all, so I don't think my question is that weird hahaha. What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:24 AM
No, I've never really done that, I view them more as their own people. I make them with certain personalities and goals in mind for them, but that has no connection to my own life. I then try and play them mostly to the wants they roll. Perhaps because I was already married when sims 1 came out I didn't feel that kind of need. I do have a simself of both myself and my hubby and I have given them kids before, although we only have 2 in RL my simself gets more.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 11:09 AM
Not really. My husband and I once made our simselves in TS3 and made both our rl kids as sim kids, but we didn't really play that family very long. Taking care of sim toddlers can be stressful. And we still had the real ones irl!

I mostly play my sims directed by their wants, though of course I often re-roll the LTW into something more suitable than whatever the random first one was. My own "lifetime want" doesn't exist in TS2, sadly, though there was something very similar in TS3 I think. Something about writing; I'm too lazy to look it up.

But I think, if anything, I find myself using the sims to play out things I don't want in my own life. Do I want three loves at once? Six kids? To be abducted by aliens? Hell, no! But it sure can be fun in the game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 11:24 AM
I once created my hottess badass simself. I forgot about that sim. Might try playing myself again. Not particulary to leave out my personal goals/ambitions (right now, I really not sure what I want irl), but more of a escape from the real world.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 12:00 PM
Nope - I'm interested in stories so I make sims to fit the stories.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 1:48 PM
In a word, no.
Theorist
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 2:26 PM
Nope. Haven't created a Simself either since I was like...10?

Though now that I think of it I don't very often have Sims that have lifestyles I am not interested at all. In real life I have no interest at all in the endless party/clubbing lifestyle and my game usually completely lacks Pleasure Sims (Romance Sims are useful for the drama, but Pleasure Sims are just kinda boring to me)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 2:32 PM
Nope, nada never. I follow what the sims wants and action are.

You play a household of 1 or more sims and they will tell you what they want.

Oh no I'm a slave to my sims.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 3:48 PM
No. I simply play the game just to have fun - not interested in recreating my own life/self, or any other real person's life/self.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Test Subject
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 6:56 PM
Sometimes. I did it a lot when I was younger. I'd make myself and then whoever my crush was so we could be together.

I did make my friend in TS2 awhile back. I told her how to get the UC on origin so she could start playing and I think it was me showing her how the game worked or something. Nevertheless, that sim isn't really living out my friend's dreams in life in any way. She has one of me as well, and we keep each other updated on the interesting things going on in our simselves lives, and they are sometimes ridiculous, but also mostly unrelated to our real life goals.

I made myself and 2 friends in TS1 recently as well, and they kind of follow our real life goals, but they're really more like caricatures. The household was created for me to re-acclimate myself with the many features of TS1, not to live out our dreams.

I also made myself in TS4 recently, but again, it wasn't really "me" - more like a satire version of me. (She has bright blue hair and is dressed like Princess Leia most of the time )

When I play, I follow the wants that my sims have. Rarely do sims I make line up 100% with what I want them to do- but I let them live life how they want, not how I want.
Scholar
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:09 PM
Uh, I do try to max the Lifetime Aspiration. As for the daily Wants...no. And I don't give a fig about Fears.

And I have a Sim Self. I'm doing the Random Legacy Challenge with her so I would say, no.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Alchemist
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:27 PM
none of my sims followed my real life wants.
nor have I created sim-selves.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 10:45 AM
Interesting.

I honestly expected more people, to some limited extent, 'live through their sims'. I do think there are many things to learn about ourselves from the way we play Sims 2, though perhaps not our life goals and dreams. For instance, I have come across quite a few people online who have said they just make 'Beautiful Sims'. I wonder what that says about them...I think Sims gameplay could offer some good psychology experiments. Anyway, I'm waffling. Thanks for the feedback people!

By the way I've only been active on mts recently, I'm quite impressed to see that the active users here have an multiple things to say on every new thread that pops up. It's pretty cool.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ineedtoworknow
I think Sims gameplay could offer some good psychology experiments

This is probably very true.
Scholar
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 5:15 PM
I've never created Sims for that purpose, but I do tend to have a high percentage of Knowledge-aspiration Sims, so I think there is that aspect of my personality that shows in the way I play. I also have a lot of self-sufficient farming Sims, which represents something I wish I could do in real life but can't, due to allergies and disabilities.

So technically my answer is no, but I think I do it subconsciously, at least to some extent.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ineedtoworknow
I honestly expected more people, to some limited extent, 'live through their sims'. I do think there are many things to learn about ourselves from the way we play Sims 2, though perhaps not our life goals and dreams. For instance, I have come across quite a few people online who have said they just make 'Beautiful Sims'. I wonder what that says about them...I think Sims gameplay could offer some good psychology experiments. Anyway, I'm waffling. Thanks for the feedback people!

I would guess that's partly an age thing. Many posters here are older than young adults. You kind of get past the 'finding out about yourself' stage of life beyond your mid-twenties (I guess). Certainly, by the time you're my age, other people are far more interesting. I know who I am.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Link Ninja
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 6:32 PM
I think a lot of people at some point have made self sims, whether or not they did it to simulate ambitions is to be told. When I first got sims 1 and 2 I did make a self sim and I made sims of all my friends. But it was more to play and discover the game and then recount funny stories to everyone at school rather than simulate my actual goals. Later, that premise lost it's appeal and I started making sims on a whim and playing them, creating characters to fall into their own stories and watch how each generation interacted lived and died.

Though still to this day I joke that I will have twins because my self sims was the first sim in sims 2 to ever produce in-game twins.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 4:59 PM
As other people said, yeah, to a certain degree there will probably be a subconscious bias to how I play based on real things, but actually playing as a sim-self living out my life is a no. I've never made a sim self even when I was a kid. I'd much prefer looking at a sim and seeing them as a blank canvas rather than as me in pixel form. :D

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Field Researcher
#19 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:10 PM
I haven't created my Sim-self mostly because I suck at trying to replicate real people in the Sims I once tried to create a Sim version of a friend of mine and she ended up looking nothing like the real person, so I decided never to try it again xD

On the other hand, I have a ridiculous amount of Romance Sims in my game, although I would consider myself a Knowledge/Pleasure Sim, and even Sims who don't have a Romance aspiration are sometimes promiscuous, so I don't know what that says about me
Scholar
#20 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 12:48 PM
I had a Simself, and she lasted 8 real-life years in my neighbourhood. She didn't have my real-life ambitions, but very much her own. Some, because they would have made no sense in this decidedly unrealistic hood and my Simself's response to it. It was clear early on that my Simself would be a,major force in the magic world, which in my hood has more resemblance to fantasy novels than real-life magic. Some goals she didn't share because they were trivially easy to do in the Sim world. For example, one of my ambitions at the time was to live in my own place, which is a matter of three clicks in Sims 2 (and therefore boring as a Sim ambition).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 1:30 PM
I made a sim self because on Boolprop forums back around 2007-09 is was a bit of a trend, they had a board where you could upload and download simselves. It was just a bit of fun.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#22 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 2:24 PM
I've had to think about this for awhile. I think there are some aspects of the game that are how I wish my life had been different. My childhood was not a happy one, therefore toddlers, children and teens will mostly have more time to age (aging off) until I feel like going to the next stage. Most teens would go to college, not to satisfy that goal, although it is easy to get top grades and still have fun, but mainly to give them more time before becoming an adult and there are other things to do while they're at college. They can spend time off campus at community lots which extends their college time. It's rare for my sims to own a car and usually walk most everywhere, I guess this is because I have physical problems, nerve damage and other injuries with future surgeries to plan, while physical therapy to maintain the progress of surgeries completed, so my sims do some things I'm unable to do. My life is rather simple so they live in small houses with what they need to be comfortable and reach their goals. None of them have huge, extravagant homes yet they have space to do most anything. I guess my sims lives are based more around comfort, work, creativity in a variety of ways, making some friends and having close family ties. Their lives are not all identical, some will remain single, some will marry, there may or may not be children, a few may never get a job as there are many ways to earn money. Some will vacation, run their own business and occasionally a sim might be homeless. I don't follow any set rules, just make decision as their lives progress. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 1:35 AM
If one of my goals are to eat nothing but mac n' cheese, then yes.
Instructor
#24 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 4:57 AM
If I were to make a simself, she'd have the grilled cheese aspiration because it's something I miss the most about not having migraine triggers. *sighs and stuffs face with not-as-great white cheddar mac n' cheese*

In the past, ex-boyfriends and I have made simselves. Sometimes we'd have kids, but other times we'd just goof around and give our house the ugliest wallpaper imaginable. It was always just for giggles.
I've noticed, though, that I project myself onto my sims sometimes. I try to be diverse, but I probably have more blonde female sims than anything else, especially if they have a family aspiration. I try to let my sims be their own selves, but occasionally a piece of me goes into them.
Alchemist
#25 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 9:45 PM
the opposite of the title question would be sims living our fears.
I have not done that either.
Page 1 of 2