Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 8:27 PM
Default How do you play your Castaway game?
How do you play your game? What are your likes or dislikes? Do you prefer playing the sims 2 or other stories games?

Just started playing this game again recently. Since Castaways was my first ever Sims game I will forever love it. That being said just recently playing it again made me think of the pros and cons of the differences between TS2 which is my favorite simply because of the almost endless possibilities and mods and CC of course. Anywho. ..

Cons:
1. Orangutans, they don't die. Once you get them you are stuck with them forever.
2. No adding new lots/ not enough community lots
3. Small career selection
4. Can't send graves to a community cemetery so after playing generations on the same lots there will be a ton of annoying ghosts. The only other option is to keep urns in inventory but that is risky with random deaths and such.
5. Not enough buy/build mode
6. No age meter (agggh!) One of my biggest pet peeves.

Pros:
1. Swimmable lakes
2. Bettter beach lots
3. No bills
4. Easy harvesting food and resources on both community and home lot.
5. Wilderness type of theme. If there is a drought you run out of water for your home, (unless you make it rain) I like that realism. Sims have to wash in the lakes and use nature bushes to pee lol.
5. I like the natural energy power in the game kinda cool.

Also I like to play one one hood as realistic as possible and the other as close to tS2 as possible. And even though there is no adoption there are surrogates for my gay couples.
I have to keep watch though last time around Felicity island was seriously overpopulated and the family ties were very close. Plus with the limited housing... it was getting cramped in these homes with a lot of disappointed family sims wanting children. Simply was not possible unless I killed Sims off. Lol it was a big mess. I'm doing things a bit differently this time. I might even try my own legacy version for my main character

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 8:51 PM
2. No adding new lots/ not enough community lots. Mootilda has a tutorial on adding new lots but I don't know where it is at the moment.

4. Can't send graves to a community cemetery so after playing generations on the same lots there will be a ton of annoying ghosts. The only other option is to keep urns in inventory but that is risky with random deaths and such.
You can make a platform with out stairs and place them there and the ghost can not come off the platform.

6. No age meter (agggh!) One of my biggest pet peeves. Do they even age, I have never played long enough to see if they age up or not.

I play all 3 story games and me and the HBG is in the process of making all hoods in all 3 games for The Sims 2 Base Game and we have already release 1 called "Four Corners (aka Riley's Story)" http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=557801

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 10:19 PM
Ooh that is cool! I didn't even know that I will most definitely check out HBG stuff and on the lookout for future stuff.

Didn't know about the platform thingy! Thanks and if you ever find her tutorial please let me know that sounds nice. And yes they do age up but it seems so much more slower than usual and it's like a surprise two days notice before though

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 8:40 PM
Just like you, CS was my first sims game and will always have a special place in my heart. It's the best sims game for me, although it's not the one I play the most since the regular game with all EPs is so enticing.

-Orangutans are the worst! A shame really, maxis did a great job with them (looks, modelisation..), but outside of the scenario they're ruining the playability of that poor household that has to put up with Waiata forever.
-Your other cons I actually don't mind, except for the missing age cursor, but you still get a message when an elder is about to die (and I just check stuff all the time in SimPE so I see the remaining days anyway^^). I can never tell the exact day of death in the real game either, to be honest :p

I agree with your pros, this game is beautiful and I love the "green" realism too.
One other thing I really love (that often annoys players too though) is the constant trespassing by other residents of the island I wish I had the same thing in TS2 too, where I have my sims greet everyone they see because I got used to having intruders on the lot from playing CS first.
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 12:17 PM
The trespassing issue is easily solved by this mod by Carrigon. It does have a few drawbacks, though. (At the Village Residence, the visitors will walk from the portal leading to the village to the raft, and then back to the first portal, and then fade away. On other residental lots (Shaman's hut, Chief's hut...), visitors will appear briefly on the one portal on that lot before fading away, so even greeting those you invited is a bit of a hussle.)

I lovelovelove playing Castaway Stories. It wasn't my first Sims game, but it's truly been a game plan I've stuck with the most to date. I don't actually play TSCS though - I play TS2 with a Downloads folder full of conversions of objects, clothes etc. I found online (and I owe my everything to the people who made that CC available). I was simply too disappointed by how neglected the game was - with all the glitches, with the undying orangutan I had to place on a do-not-open-ever lot, with the crappy graphics (which I'll never understand - the ocean is simply beautiful, yet, any other texture looks really bad in-game), so I decided it'd be best to transfer my current progress to Ultimate Collection. Apart from now my storytelling pictures looking more HQ than ever, I've got quite a few new objects as well.

I've made a trilogy out of my gameplay - the first story is about this random person who comes on Felicity Island, and in that story, I explain the culture of Felicity Island and everything. The second story is about a child who escapes his home island (Wanmami Island) and finds himself on Felicity Island, where he's exploring many aspects of his life, and is actually loosely about my RL self. The third story is set in a distant future from now, and features four teenagers washing ashore from a planewreck. And I've got lots of ideas for that third one, but I've got yet to develop them into an actual story.
(They're all connected, the stories - the castaway from the second story marries the first story's castaway's granddaughter, and the four teenagers actually find a shelter on the island that turns out to be a hut of the second castaway's successors.)

Marka, will you also be doing a Felicity and Wanmami Island conversions as well? Will you be able to host that project on MTS, or will it be hosted on another location, due to MTS' guidelines that forbid posting Stories to Sims 2 conversions?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 1:17 PM
The trespassing issue is also easily fixed but putting up a fence and gate that you can lock around the portal.

As you can see @DJ. I have already have uploaded a Stories to Sims 2 conversions of Riley's Story: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=557801

Its the items that are especially made for the Stories games that are not allowed to be uploaded at MTS.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 6:21 PM
No, guys, you misread, I actually love the trespassing, and I think it's more logical, in small communities, small villages, people pass by and pop up all the time, the land is open. I also discovered the trick of fencing the portal even as a noob, because there's a couple annoying teens and elders that make pranks and argue with everyone (like Ruhi Putini in N001, ugh!) that I wanted to keep out.
And romance sims need to keep jealous lovers away ^^

DJ it's great that you're able to have so much perspective with your hoods, my mind doesn't work like that.