Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 8:22 PM
Default Overrated/Underrated anime titles
What anime titles do you think are overrated and which ones do you think are underrated?

Personally, I think "One Piece" is overrated and "Ramen Fighter Miki" is underrated.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 10:43 PM
Overrated and underrated are just weird terms, it all depends on which crowd you're thinking of.

I think FLCL is quite overrated.

I wouldn't really call One Piece overrated as a whole. Thinking of specifically the manga and in Japan, you could think of it like that. But it's also got a strong group of haters for various reasons. People who think they're too good for Shounen. People who saw the 4Kids dub. People who couldn't get past the artstyle. People who didn't get too far into it. These people are vast in number. I'd put One Piece somewhere in between. It depends.

The amount of people who haven't given One Piece a chance and hate on it is very annoying.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 10:50 PM
I actually watched One Piece as much as I could when I was little (I feel young.) but I didn't really get to watch much of it because my parents took over the tivo thing we have and it almost never got recorded.

I think Bleach is overrated,I hear way too much about it and don't see the appeal. There was also another anime...I forget the name,but I believe it was all Japanese words,about like 5 girls in school and their teacher. It was hilarious and don't know why people didn't watch it. I also think Paranoia Agent was SO underrated.I loved that anime,it's probably my favorite. It was short,but I absolutely loved it and thought Lil' Slugger was the coolest thing ever.
Scholar
#4 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 11:09 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 24th Jul 2010 at 11:21 PM.
You should watch the real One Piece, that was probably the 4Kids dub that you saw on TV. The much better FUNimation dub wasn't on TV for very long.

Another couple of anime/manga that I hear a lot of praise about (at least the online anime community) are Gintama and Katekyo Hitman REBORN!. I watched quite a few episodes of Gintama and am actually caught up to REBORN!'s anime, but to be honest I can't see the hype for either of them.

REBORN! is quite entertaining at times but it is just quite dull at others and is like extremely generic with not too many redeeming qualities IMO. Lambo is really annoying, too.

Gintama... I heard and still hear that it's the most funny anime ever. I can not for the life of me call it anywhere near that. It has some spots, but to be honest anime like Ouran High School Host Club and One Piece have it beat in humor. I've liked a few of its more serious episodes, but there just isn't enough of a story, and I'm really big on story.

But at least they both have some redeeming qualities. FLCL takes the cake. Everybody thinks it is the most awesomest series ever and I watched it several times. Never got through to me ever. And it's not because I hate Gainax's titles, I love Gurren Lagann to pieces. (it's got such a great spirit.) I just can't see anything good in FLCL. =(

I completely forgot in my last post to think about underrated. The reason is I just really can't think of any.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
You should watch the real One Piece, that was probably the 4Kids dub that you saw on TV. The much better FUNimation dub wasn't on TV for very long.

Another couple of anime/manga that I hear a lot of praise about (at least the online anime community) are Gintama and Katekyo Hitman REBORN!. I watched quite a few episodes of Gintama and am actually caught up to REBORN!'s anime, but to be honest I can't see the hype for either of them.

REBORN! is quite entertaining at times but it is just quite dull at others and is like extremely generic with not too many redeeming qualities IMO. Lambo is really annoying, too.

Gintama... I heard and still hear that it's the most funny anime ever. I can not for the life of me call it anywhere near that. It has some spots, but to be honest anime like Ouran High School Host Club and One Piece have it beat in humor. I've liked a few of it's more serious episodes, but there just isn't enough of a story, and I'm really big on story.

But at least they both have some redeeming qualities. FLCL takes the cake. Everybody thinks it is the most awesomest series ever and I watched it several times. Never got through to me ever. And it's not because I hate Gainax's titles, I love Gurren Lagann to pieces. (it's got such a great spirit.) I just can't see anything good in FLCL. =(

I completely forgot in my last post to think about underrated. The reason is I just really can't think of any.

Two more overrated animes are "Strike Witches" and "World of Narue". Underrated-"Niea Under 7" and "Tattoon Master" (despite it being an attempt at copying Urusei Yatsura, I liked it).
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:07 PM
Personally I think that "The Place promised in our early days" is very underrated and "The girl who leapt through time" to

You love me, I love you to :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/hssdamian <3
Theorist
#7 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:22 PM
An underated anime that I can think of is "Grave of the Fireflies" ( Hotaru no Haka ) It is not a series, but a movie. And it has none of the things that say anime, giant robots, ninjas, samurai, neo tokyo, monsters, or schoolpersons. It is not lighthearted nor over the top. Just Seita and Setsuko and 'rice balls' made of dirt. Best to watch the English dubbed version. Warning: Graphic and emotional.

Edit:
Not to be confused with the live action version.
Alchemist
#8 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 7:55 AM
overrated:
naruto ( the manga is a LOT more withstandable )
bleach
one piece
fullmetal alchemist
ghost in a shell: stand alone complex
dragon ball & DBZ
sailor ( freakin' ) moon

underrated:
blade of the immortal ( though admittedly the manga is best )
samurai champloo
ranma 1/2 ( also much better as a manga, though wears a bit long. )
cowboy bebop
trinity blood

tried not to be too biased...
but in general the overrated anime tend to have WAY too many friggin episodes ( like the MFin' Land Before Time; NEVER SEEMS TO END), and heavily diluted/overcomplicated storyline with flat characters that you have a hard time feeling anything more than annoyance or disapproval for.

granted a lot of kiddy anime are also among the most popular... people dont tend to associate anime as an adult thing, but there are plenty of adult ( NOT hentai ) anime out there worth a look-see.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 11:12 AM
Overated? One piece,i think and Yugioh 5ds in Australia
i love one Piece!!!

Lemme be yo sledgehammer
Scholar
#10 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:34 PM
SuicidiaParasidia: Cowboy Bebop is underrated? What planet are you from?

Not that I'm saying it is overrated, but I haven't seen a single person ever say a bad thing about it. It is always praise.

See this is why I hate questions like these. When you think long and hard about them you can't really say anything is overrated or underrated. Like for example Naruto has a massive group of haters out there right now, how can you truthfully call it overrated anymore?

And Ranma 1/2. Lol. Talk about an anime that dragged on way too long. It started so good (I especially loved that episode where Ranma hits his head on a rock and thinks he is a girl for the whole episode. lol), but that old guy got on my last nerves. I recall hearing from older anime fans that Ranma 1/2 had quite a following here in America a while back.

You know at least a series like One Piece has a direction. Even though it has "Way too many friggin' episodes", at least it is guaranteed it will have so much more of a conclusion than Ranma 1/2. Which is the one that was actually dragged out.

Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 4:40 PM
Bakuman is underrated.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 2:19 AM
I've always thought that Haibane Renmei and Last Exile were a little bit underrated.

As for overrated, that's a little hard. Maybe Miyazaki films? I mean, I love Miyazaki as much as the next person but I believe there are animated movies out there just as great as his! (:
Inventor
#13 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 4:17 PM
I just started watching Bleach and I like it, but I don't think it's as good as everyone makes out, it's just not really my thing, so I's say that was abit over rated.
I LOVE Dragonball and Dragonball Z (I like Z better) but I HATE GT with a passion, I think GT is over rated... I can't say Z is under rated because I know alot of people like it but I wont say it's over rated because just as many people don't.
Umm, I think Elfen Lied was really good, wish there was more episodes. I'd never heard of it before, it was something Lee's brother stumbled upon, but one of my friends said that alot of people she knows had refered it to her, so without knowing how popular it is I can's say if it's under or over rated...

POKEMON! Is super over rated.
I also agree that Naruto and One Piece are over rated, I've watched them both and just couldn't get into them :/
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 9:44 AM
Azumanga Dioh. ( I misspelt that.) Is pretty overrated imo. Its funny, but it only picks up in the secont half, the first is like... :/ Still worth watching though.

Underated? Black Butler (Kuroshijitsu) Great anime, but whenenver I try to talk bouth it with people they are like.. "Wut?" But my social sphere is filled with Naruto/Hitalia obsessors, so mwah. They dont watch/read much else.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:44 PM
Naruto and One Piece, I could care less about them. I see too much fanart and stuff of that series.

The Higarashi series is great, in my opinion. Good plot, great characters. The Umineko series is great too, though underrated. I hope they make more of it.

Chobits and Cardcaptor Sakura might be overrated, but I like them. They're so cute.

And the pok'emon anime FAILS in my opinion.
Instructor
#16 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 7:53 AM
Just going to recommend some titles they I thought were worth the time I spent on them since underrated/overrated is a bit subjective.
Durarara!! (This is just one of those anime that make an excellent story without dragging it out forever)
Baccano (Made by same company as Durarara!!)
Toradora (Ultra cute and sweet)
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya (Sweet and sour, with some funny moments)
Sgt Frog (Lulzy, may be a bit less funny for people not versed in a lot of the standard anime tropes)
Test Subject
#17 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 6:49 AM
Naruto is definately Overrated, Sasuke can never make up his mind and it NEVER ENDS an underrated anime is Cowboy Bebopp, though slightly popular I beleive that it gets less credit than is due... plus it actually ends!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 7:31 AM
Ooooh fun, I love talking about anime!

Anyway, when thinking of overrated animes, Yugioh jumped straight to mind. They were so predictable, same pattern all the time, for episodes, and entire series. There they'd be, wondering what their opponent's face-down was, and it was always going to be a friggin' trap! Not only a trap, but always the perfect trap. The dialogue was awful and the characters were very hard to like. But the 5D's episodes, I'd say, are an improvement, but then that is not saying much.

I believe the most underrated anime has to be Shinzo, or Mushrambo in the original Japanese. A lot of people I mention it to have never even heard of it. Yakumo might have been a little too naive, but she was still a highly sympathetic character with a great story. Unlike a lot of animes, this one did not drag on until it was stretched past breaking point. It is next to impossible to get both series on DVD, even in Japanese with subs, which is a real shame, because I think it has the potential to be more widely liked if people just gave it a chance.
Theorist
#19 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 10:12 AM
Overrated:
Natuto
Bleach
Code Geass
Gundam
Dragon Ball

Underrated:
Pandora Hearts
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
Overrated:
Natuto
Bleach
Code Geass
Gundam
Dragon Ball

Underrated:
Pandora Hearts

Pandora Hearts is very underrated. I agree. I didn't even know it existed until my obsessed friend started bothering me to watch it. I think that Naruto, Bleach, and things like that are overrated.

It doesn't matter if I'm a prince, king, or a nobody.I'll always be your knight who watches over and protects you, because you're my one and only princess, Alice.
-Lance from the Wonderland Days Sim Date by Pacthesis
Field Researcher
#21 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:26 AM
I agree, Naruto is TOO overrated. I liked it, but it got really long and I lost interest because of the length, and I felt like the story wasn't going anywhere.

I feel like 1/2 Prince is underrated.

High School Host Club is a tad overrated, but I love it anyway.

PANDORA HEARTS!

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Scholar
#22 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 4:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SpookyOkyBatGirl
I agree, Naruto is TOO overrated. I liked it, but it got really long and I lost interest because of the length, and I felt like the story wasn't going anywhere.

It isn't, but I fail to see how it is actually "overrated" anymore. I hardly know anybody that will even admit to liking it anymore. It's literally the largest punching bag for the anime fandom right now.

I'm sorry but it becomes a problem to call it overrated when there are more people calling it overrated than are actually fans of it.

Just to put this out here, I watched all of Naruto and Naruto Shippuden for the first time over this summer and I honestly had to convince myself a lot to even try it. I had kind of fallen into the "hate" fad and was led to believe that it wasn't any good at all. The show has received so much bashing that the perception of it had become completely and totally negative.

That's why I can't call it overrated. It's not the best anime, and it has some big flaws. There's no denying that it is drawn out, but people make it out to be like it's something really bad. They really had me fooled. Not that I'd really recommend it, especially if you don't have the time to watch it, but people really need to lay off of it. There are far worse series that don't get anywhere near the bashing it does. =/