Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1678
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 715 times.
Search this Thread
Old 1st Aug 2018, 9:55 PM About to try The Sims 3 again,would like experienced players to answer a few questions. #1
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Hello,The Sims 2 (Ultimate Collection) is one of my favorite games of all time. And because I had so much fun playing TS2,when I finished everything I could create and enjoy within the game,I tried The Sims 3 hoping for new goodies. But I was so disappointed at the first couple of tries,I just deleted the game and never played again.But whenever I think about the incomparable gaming experience of TS2 and the sims/communities/lots I've created,I'm just hunger to do that again with the sequels.And here's a few questions I would like experienced TS3 players to answer for me before I go through all that nightmarish installing steps again:
1,Is it possible to create your own vacation communities,also rename them and put up costum preview pictures like the TS2?
2,Is it possible to stop townie female sims developing a flirtatious relationship with my gay male sims? Coz last time I played the male sims respond flirtatiously back,unlike TS2 you can choose what turns them on and off.
3,When you're just starting a new community of your own,how to stop one household instantly becomes "the pet adoption agency" when you're playing another household?
4,When you're playing another household,how to stop the sims from other households becomes zombies when full moon?
5,How to paint costum paintings? Even the skill level is high enough,I don't see that option.
6,When opening a restaurant or a bar,how to become your own cook or bar tender? Last time I've played I built a new bar for my sim,but when he purchased it employees coming out of nowhere automatically fills the spots,and I don't recall you can fire them either.
7,When starting with an emptied neighborhood,if one sim wants to get on the acting branch instead of the directing branch,what are the ways? Last time I've played there's no paparazzi in the emptied neighborhood!

That's all for now,thank you so much for your time! I know mods are necessarily required sometimes,if so it would be fantastic if you could name the mods as well. Once again,thank you!
Last edited by billygot : 5th Aug 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:10 PM #2
lakme
Instructor

Check out the NRAAS mod suite. You can do most, if not all of those things, with those mods.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 2:07 AM #3
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

1. You can download tons of worlds by any creator and with travel from nraas, you can use them as vacation world.
4. You can turn off zombies in options.
6. You hire them or you don't.
7. The world fills up quite fast after you start playing, or start a populated world.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 3:50 AM #4
SusannaG
Top Secret Researcher

I'd class a couple of NRASS mods as essential mods, anyway - like Error Trap or Overwatch. I wouldn't play without them.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 4:37 AM #5
igazor
Alchemist

1 - NRaas Traveler.
2 - Sims can and will act counter to their gender prefs, but they face a hefty penalty on their mutual attraction scores that has to be overcome first. Some of this is trait-related. Many of us find that NRaas Woohooer together with its Scoring module and its Trait Scoring options work out much more realistically.
3 - NRaas Overwatch has an option that shuts those down right away. NRaas StoryProgression doesn't allow that status on a household either once it "notices" it, no options required.
4 - It's rare for other resident household members to become full moon zombies. Usually the game targets homeless NPCs first, if it can find any available. There is no Game Option to switch off the zombie state, but you can switch off full moons. Otherwise a standalone tuning mod is required or NRaas Retuner can be used to disallow the zombification.
5- I think you'll need to clarify this one a bit. Sims with high enough Painting skill can paint still-lifes or Memorize a Scene that is before them and then paint it. Is this what you meant, or something else?
6 - NRaas Register.
7 - The Paparazzi should arrive when there are celebrity sims in town to attract them. Otherwise there would be nothing for them to do. It's pretty difficult to be famous in an empty world though, as that's one of those things that requires having others around to recognize you as such.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 6:35 AM #6
mithrak_nl
Inventor

6) TS3 does not have an OFB equivalent, just real estate investing.

So in your restaurant example, you are basically the landlord and the tenant is running a restaurant in your building. You are not the one running a restaurant. You just get weekly rent. It is kind of an odd bussiness deal, because the amount of rent you receive is based on the upgrades you as owner add to the lot. And the lot type (so the business type basically ) determines which upgrades you need. So you are expanding someone else's business as landlord. It is very weird It also means you are not managing employees or can become the cook yourself (if a mod lets you do become cook at that lot, you will just become an employee there and it has nothing to do with you owning the building or not).
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 6:58 AM #7
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
1 - NRaas Traveler.
2 - Sims can and will act counter to their gender prefs, but they face a hefty penalty on their mutual attraction scores that has to be overcome first. Some of this is trait-related. Many of us find that NRaas Woohooer together with its Scoring module and its Trait Scoring options work out much more realistically.
3 - NRaas Overwatch has an option that shuts those down right away. NRaas StoryProgression doesn't allow that status on a household either once it "notices" it, no options required.
4 - It's rare for other resident household members to become full moon zombies. Usually the game targets homeless NPCs first, if it can find any available. There is no Game Option to switch off the zombie state, but you can switch off full moons. Otherwise a standalone tuning mod is required or NRaas Retuner can be used to disallow the zombification.
5- I think you'll need to clarify this one a bit. Sims with high enough Painting skill can paint still-lifes or Memorize a Scene that is before them and then paint it. Is this what you meant, or something else?
6 - NRaas Register.
7 - The Paparazzi should arrive when there are celebrity sims in town to attract them. Otherwise there would be nothing for them to do. It's pretty difficult to be famous in an empty world though, as that's one of those things that requires having others around to recognize you as such.

First of all,thank you! This is very thorough.
5,What I mean is if I want to paint a picture I've found on Google Images,or any other real life pictures,how do I do that? In TS2 you just put the picture in "Pictures" folder and it will show up whenever you click "Paint Costum Painting" bubble,and the picture comes out as it is,and you can hang it on the wall with this real life picture in the sim world.
And also, 7,I remember even if there's no Paparazzi in the main neighborhood,there's Paparazzi in vacation neighborhoods. They always just ran pass my sim and won't take pictures of him,thus can't gain any stars. And I did add "Natural Performer" to his traits. Can you ask them to take your pictures instead?
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 7:24 AM #8
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
6) TS3 does not have an OFB equivalent, just real estate investing.

So in your restaurant example, you are basically the landlord and the tenant is running a restaurant in your building. You are not the one running a restaurant. You just get weekly rent. It is kind of an odd bussiness deal, because the amount of rent you receive is based on the upgrades you as owner add to the lot. And the lot type (so the business type basically ) determines which upgrades you need. So you are expanding someone else's business as landlord. It is very weird It also means you are not managing employees or can become the cook yourself (if a mod lets you do become cook at that lot, you will just become an employee there and it has nothing to do with you owning the building or not).

Thank you for the clarification,and that's what I feared,sigh~ What a turn off,so it means you can't manage the menu as well? I was thinking having one sim opening a chili restaurant,and another opening a vegetarian restaurant,and another opening an Arabic food restaurant and so on...like I did in TS2! There's some wonderful new things in TS3 that's just natural extension,but I've always felt Maxis doesn't want you to create your own,they wants you to play theirs. It has been since they took over and made The Sims 2 Stories games following TS2 success,you follow the stories they wrote,agree or not. I don't know whether they made TS2,since I didn't see their logo anywhere in or outside of the game(except on one of the TV sets you can buy),but...sigh~ It's very sad.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 11:30 AM #9
igazor
Alchemist

5 - There is no way (I know of) to interfere with the "regular" paintings that sims make that are not real life scenes, but out of their own heads. Their moods and traits will influence what they paint, though. What we can do is use mods to create custom art work out of external files to hang on our sims' walls, but these wouldn't be things that our sims have created, they are posters.
http://modthesims.info/d/579394

6 - There are ways to get a little closer to what you want here, but no there is nothing that really matches OFB. If you have the bakery store set, you can do counter type service for meals that your sims have created and that are not necessarily baked goods. With the NRaas Cupcake mod, there are options to auto-stock the displays if it turns out to be too much work to keep all of them stocked manually, sims will shop the displays out of hunger rather than the need for fun, single serving portion sizes become available, and customers will eat what they have purchased. But what really tends to happen for most players is they find that the profit margins on food prepared the difficult way and sold is too low to be meaningful, it ends up being far too much constant work for very little benefit, and what really sustains the business are the real estate investment payoffs that your household collects as the owner of the property.

There are many mods available that work with restaurants and allow you (the player) to set menus. For owning a restaurant with a hands-on experience though, more than just an array of bakery displays, the owner's role can be that of host(ess), greeting the guests as they arrive, bringing them drinks from the bar until they are ready to sit down and order (Business as Usual bistro store set). But the chefs, waiters, and bar staff aren't really meant to be playable sims. From what little I understand about TS2, everything we have to work with on restaurants and bars still adds up to pretty weak implementations of business ownership by comparison.

7 - The Paparazzi won't be interested in you until you become a Celebrity. They are not a vehicle for becoming one. The ways to become a Celeb so you can capture their interest are to befriend existing Celebs if you can find any in town and gain Celeb points that later convert to stars by doing notable things.
Last edited by igazor : 2nd Aug 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 1:56 PM #10
skydome
Instructor

6 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygot
Thank you for the clarification,and that's what I feared,sigh~ What a turn off,so it means you can't manage the menu as well? I was thinking having one sim opening a chili restaurant,and another opening a vegetarian restaurant,and another opening an Arabic food restaurant and so on...like I did in TS2! There's some wonderful new things in TS3 that's just natural extension,but I've always felt Maxis doesn't want you to create your own,they wants you to play theirs. It has been since they took over and made The Sims 2 Stories games following TS2 success,you follow the stories they wrote,agree or not. I don't know whether they made TS2,since I didn't see their logo anywhere in or outside of the game(except on one of the TV sets you can buy),but...sigh~ It's very sad.

There is a store content you can buy which allows you to set up your own restaurants. You can further enhance it with this mod http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Busines...nusual%20Bistro . It lets you hire chefs and waiters and choose a shift. It's not perfect. There are glitches like the waiters suddenly leaving the lot when their hift isn't over. But it comes close.
There's also the savvy seller store content that comes with midnight hollow. It is currently not available for individual sale, hasn't been for a long time. You can use that alongside this mod http://nraas.wikispaces.com/The%20Savvier%20Seller and this mod http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1078/ to have a open for buisness like setting in your own home or a lot you own. You can place anything from buymode but you can't hire staff to help sell your products. You don't really need staff anyway. Sims 3 sims buy stuff really fast without needing much convincing.

Edit:-you can also choose menus with the restaurant. So you can probably have your themed restaurants.
Last edited by skydome : 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:28 PM.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 2:46 PM #11
barbarat
Top Secret Researcher

1 Achievements

Here are some Gameplay FAQ Tips and Tricks that might come in handy as you move forward. There are links within to mods and other resources to use in your game.

For more help with NRaas mods and general gameplay help the Where Can I Find It page might come in handy.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 1:10 AM #12
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Quote:
5 - There is no way (I know of) to interfere with the "regular" paintings that sims make that are not real life scenes, but out of their own heads. Their moods and traits will influence what they paint, though. What we can do is use mods to create custom art work out of external files to hang on our sims' walls, but these wouldn't be things that our sims have created, they are posters.
http://modthesims.info/d/579394

6 - There are ways to get a little closer to what you want here, but no there is nothing that really matches OFB. If you have the bakery store set, you can do counter type service for meals that your sims have created and that are not necessarily baked goods. With the NRaas Cupcake mod, there are options to auto-stock the displays if it turns out to be too much work to keep all of them stocked manually, sims will shop the displays out of hunger rather than the need for fun, single serving portion sizes become available, and customers will eat what they have purchased. But what really tends to happen for most players is they find that the profit margins on food prepared the difficult way and sold is too low to be meaningful, it ends up being far too much constant work for very little benefit, and what really sustains the business are the real estate investment payoffs that your household collects as the owner of the property.

There are many mods available that work with restaurants and allow you (the player) to set menus. For owning a restaurant with a hands-on experience though, more than just an array of bakery displays, the owner's role can be that of host(ess), greeting the guests as they arrive, bringing them drinks from the bar until they are ready to sit down and order (Business as Usual bistro store set). But the chefs, waiters, and bar staff aren't really meant to be playable sims. From what little I understand about TS2, everything we have to work with on restaurants and bars still adds up to pretty weak implementations of business ownership by comparison.

7 - The Paparazzi won't be interested in you until you become a Celebrity. They are not a vehicle for becoming one. The ways to become a Celeb so you can capture their interest are to befriend existing Celebs if you can find any in town and gain Celeb points that later convert to stars by doing notable things.

5,It's better actually.In TS2 it takes almost one sim day's worth to "paint" the picture.
6,That sounds like a lot of personal experience and adjustment as a new player,I'll check it out.Once again,thanks for the details.
7,If befriending celebs is the vehicle(whether you want to or not),there's no celeb in the emptied neighborhood either... I downloaded the emptied "Isla Paradiso" here hoping to build a whole new town,but somehow it has no paparazzi and no celebs,even after all the necessary buildings and apartment buildings are placed,and townie sims are walking around in town already. The reason I know you can gain stars by paparazzi is because the very first time I tried TS3,I test played a little with one of the existing neighborhoods,and the sim I was playing gained a star just by standing in the street while paparazzi came over took his pictures and left,and he wasn't even in the film career...anyway,thank you for the suggestion,next time I'll keep an eye out for celebs instead of paparazzi.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 6:09 AM #13
skydome
Instructor

6 Achievements

So you want celebrities? Celebrities will start appearing on their own after a while. They don't appear immediately especially in an empty world like you said. Your Sim can become a celebrity by getting to high level in a career not just film career. But being a high level doctor or investigator or Magician also does that. Befriending other celebrities can also make you a celebrity.
You have to make sure celebrities are enabled in Story Progression for them to appear. In Nrass SP they're enabled by default I think.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 9:13 AM #14
skydome
Instructor

6 Achievements

BTW getting to a high level in some skills can also get you celebrity points.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 2:09 PM #15
igazor
Alchemist

There are also a fair number of Opportunities available, the payoffs of which are or include Celebrity points. If the offers aren't firing for your sims, it could be a glitch with ITF getting in the way. This mod can help fix that.
http://modthesims.info/d/560635
Old Today, 1:23 AM #16
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Quote:
1 - NRaas Traveler.
6 - NRaas Register.

Hello again,I hate to bring this topic up,but now I've installed the game again,I would love to know how to use NRaas Traveler regarding question #1. I've also forget to ask:Can you create your own tombs? I want to have one sim's lifetime wish to be "fully explore all 6 tombs",does custom tombs(if are possible in the first place) count? I still want the custom vacation neighborhoods having the same unique stuffs as French,Egypt,China(songs,kung fu,snake charmer etc.),is that possible? Thank you so much for your time!!
Old Today, 3:21 AM #17
SusannaG
Top Secret Researcher

What EPs do you have?
Old Today, 9:21 AM #18
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygot
Hello again,I hate to bring this topic up,but now I've installed the game again,I would love to know how to use NRaas Traveler regarding question #1. I've also forget to ask:Can you create your own tombs? I want to have one sim's lifetime wish to be "fully explore all 6 tombs",does custom tombs(if are possible in the first place) count? I still want the custom vacation neighborhoods having the same unique stuffs as French,Egypt,China(songs,kung fu,snake charmer etc.),is that possible? Thank you so much for your time!!

Yes you can, but I don't know how easy it will be to learn. I tried learning it at some point, but couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it.
Old Today, 4:31 PM #19
billygot
Original Poster

Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG
What EPs do you have?

All of them. I know this game in many ways are different than TS2,but in TS2 if you choose to create your own custom vacation neighborhoods,you can rename them,put up custom preview pictures,create your own hotels and lots,and all the townies and the unique activities(hula,slap dance,tai chi,ninja etc.) are still there. And that's what I have in mind,for example if I want to create a vacation neighborhood and name it "Jade Empire",and start off with an empty neighborhood that I can put down hotels and tombs that I built,will the Kung Fu and all the unique stuffs from Simla,China comes with it? Once again,thank you for your time as always.

Section jump: