Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 10:34 PM
Default Gray edge around foundations
Hey, a quick question.

Is there anything to be done about the gray edge at the edge of foundations (See pictures)

I remember some kind of lesson popping up about it when i started playing Ambitions, but can't seem to find out how to get rid of it.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 10:45 PM
I believe you just need to CASt it

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 12:16 AM
Hmm, I'm have no idea what CAS is... Would you mind please explain a little more detailed please :D
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pruttkatt
Hmm, I'm have no idea what CAS is... Would you mind please explain a little more detailed please :D

Create A Style. CAS is an abbreviation for Create A Sim.

In Buy/Build mode, press the R button on your keyboard to change to the CASt tool. Then click a item, if the item can be CASt'ed the item will get highlighted.

It's very simple really. I'm bad at explaining things though :3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:09 AM
Aha, ok. I'm familiar with the tool, just not the abbreviation

Anyways, CASt changes the floor tile on top of the foundation, but I can't find any way to change that gray border that i highlighted i one of the screenshot...
Screenshots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 9:01 AM
I don't know what you've circled, I don't see any grey border to the foundation. Do you mean the wall part of it or the floor? The only thing I can see that you might be calling a border are the build gridlines.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#7 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 9:58 AM
I think the OP is talking about the wall part, that can't be recoloured and from that angle you will always see it. Sometimes it looks kind if puplish in my game. If it's a platform that you aren't going to have walls on, try putting floor tiles on top then colour them. Otherwise it should only be visible when you're in the wall cut away mode.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 10:22 AM
Hmm what about one of the "low fence" edging strips?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#9 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 3:42 PM
I was under the impression that the gray strip worked just as the flooring did

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 11:03 AM
No, because it's the inside of the wall. Though as a platform it should coever with tile I think. Maybe I misunderstood what grey bit was being talked about
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 11:52 AM
The only way to get rid of that is to cover it with walls or fencing. The foundation is slightly bigger than a grid square so the walls fit correctly, so that's the result you end up with without the foundation being completely edged.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 7:43 PM
The edge of floortiles is CASt-able in my game, since 1.12. It's even listed as a new feature in the patch description – you just need to click on the actual edge, not on the top of the tile, like you apparently did before you took those last few screenshots.

The actual usefulness of that feature is rather limited though, because (at least in my game) the shading of the edge is extremely bright, so even if I colour it e.g. a very dark brown, it becomes mid-beige at best.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 10:35 PM
Looking at the pict, I really do think that pruttkatt is talking about the upper edge of walls (like fluttereyes said) that shows not only on foundations but at the top of walls if you have a flat roof. I was hoping that would be CAStable also, but it's not the case, unfortunately. Like Inge said, the only way to cover that is a fence (a flat one if you just want to cover that strip. I think there is one floating around in custom content either here or on another site. It was made pretty early on, too.).

The edge of floors is really very bright in my game too. It shows light beige in default, and when I went to recolour it, the CAST panel showed a stripped brown and violet colour which is not at all what it looks like in the game. Being able to recolour is a step, but it's too bad we can't recolour tiles edge separately, instead of only being able to recolour the whole floor strip (if you see what I mean). But it's already something. I remember we had to use special flat deco thingies to hide those, in sims 2 :D.