Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 10:07 AM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 2nd Oct 2017 at 3:49 PM. Reason: re-categorizing
screen freezes but the game doesn't
So recently my game freezes in a weird way, I guess a new way because I didn't find anything even slightly related to it on google-maybe I googled the wrong thing I don't know.
Jumping to the Issue:
My game freezes after around 3 minutes of gameplay,(no matter what I'm doing Or where I am(live mode vs build mode))but not the normal kind of freezing, the screen is stuck in one place, the sounds are playing in the background, I can click on menus nothing shows up but I can click on the buttons as if they are invisible.I can even save the game and exit.If I minimize it and come back, then it's stuck on a white screen, again hotkeys work fine.I have CCs, none of which were added recently, and no script mods.deleting localthumbcache usually works.but not every time.My gpu is weak but well I've been playing this for years and never faced this kind of an issue.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 10:34 AM
It still could be related to CCs if they became incompatible due to updates. The first place to start is to pull your mods folder and see how the game works without it. It's also always a good idea to clear the cache (google Sims 4 clearing cache) and emptying the screenshots folder. That last one shouldn't make it freeze, but it does slow down loading times. Speaking of loading times, many players don't seem to realize that the size of a Sim's personal inventory can also affect that.

Other things to do at the start of the problem are to "repair" the game (through the origin menu, right click on the game) and make sure it is up-to-date.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 1:01 PM
I have experienced this problem but with other games long time ago. As I remembered, I think it's the graphic card issue that can no longer handle them.
If you are using laptop then try to play with charger plugged in.
btw are you sure you ran the sims using your GPU? It Could be your CPU instead
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 6:10 PM
You can easily tell what is causing the bottleneck in Task Manager if it's constantly running below or around 30% then your GPU is bottlenecking, but if your game is constantly running at 85% - 100%, then it's your CPU and you will need to upgrade that first. A constant score around 50% is good balance and with plenty of legroom to upgrade your GPU later on if desired.

If it is your GPU, in the meantime make sure your Lighting option in Graphics Settings is set to Low, as Lighting is one of biggest performance hits, you will lose all the shininess on the clothes, walls, objects, pool reflections, etc, but your game will run much smoother.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cherry4567
So recently my game freezes in a weird way, I guess a new way because I didn't find anything even slightly related to it on google-maybe I googled the wrong thing I don't know.
Jumping to the Issue:
My game freezes after around 3 minutes of gameplay,(no matter what I'm doing Or where I am(live mode vs build mode))but not the normal kind of freezing, the screen is stuck in one place, the sounds are playing in the background, I can click on menus nothing shows up but I can click on the buttons as if they are invisible.I can even save the game and exit.If I minimize it and come back, then it's stuck on a white screen, again hotkeys work fine.I have CCs, none of which were added recently, and no script mods.deleting localthumbcache usually works.but not every time.My gpu is weak but well I've been playing this for years and never faced this kind of an issue.

I've been having this problem forever. It happens every other moment I play and also depends on what lot is used. I think lots with high poly objects are more likely that this will happen. I'm glad you asked about it, I hope to get some incite also on how to stop it. If I get progress before it happens and don't wanna lose the save, I right-click on the Sims 4 taskbar thing to close the window, you can hear the save and exit come up......feel around on the screen til finding it and click it......it'll save and close
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 3:49 PM