Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1191
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 9985 (Who?), Viewed: 215995 times.
Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM #9976
maxon
Now what dammit?

23 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orilon
Are you saying it was MustLuvCats understair storage then?

About a year or two ago I downloaded MustLuvCats understair storage, then went looking for stair cases that would work with it. Used the Scriptorum for the stairs, and the lights stopped working. It took uninstalling and re-installing the game to get the Scriptorium out of my installation files to get the lights working again.

Did you install Gunmod's radiance system with it? It might be that conflicting with hacks/mods you have. Either that or it might have been a light I guess.

The Scriptorium itself basically creates some sub-folders in your game files, adds one line to the in-game script files for walls, stairs and fireplaces (saying make sure you (the game) read these folders when you load) and some shortcuts to your Downloads folder. Nothing at all to do with lights and this is what you have to do manually if you install custom stairs/walls/fireplaces and don't use the Scriptorium for it. This is what Numenor said on the Scriptorim thread:

the Installer creates three special folders named "Scriptorium_ModularStairs", "Scriptorium_Fireplaces" and "Scriptorium_Walls" in the folder (gamedir)\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts.
Then appends one single line to the game files "modularstairs.txt", "fireplaces.txt" and "walls.txt": wildInclude Scriptorium_Fireplaces\*.*
These two simple steps ensure the needed support for the custom content.

I think it's more likely to be the CC you had at the time than the Scriptorium.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM #9977
MattieOReilly
Field Researcher

3 Achievements

@ihatemandatoryregister If you mean giving tokens to sims when ACR is first installed, it will automatically give one to any sim eligible for a token that doesn't have one at 8:30 am and pm.
Old Yesterday, 5:08 PM #9978
Zena-Dew-Drop
Lab Assistant

Is it absolutely necessary to have the pets, seasons, exotic destinations, magic and hobby subhoods attached to your main hood? I don't plan on using the hobby or magic lots, and all of my subhoods are set up to have no character files.
Will generating a hood without them break anything?
Old Yesterday, 5:34 PM #9979
FranH
Mad Poster

Quote:
Will generating a hood without them break anything?

No. I've got empty templates, and it doesn't bother the game one whit. If you don't have those, you will spawn all the subhoods

You don't want to do it without the empty templates.

However, the magic lots automatically generate anyway-there's no way to avoid them. They're hidden lots, and not subject to any template shenanigans..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Old Yesterday, 5:35 PM #9980
Zena-Dew-Drop
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
No. I've got empty templates, and it doesn't bother the game one whit. If you don't have those, you will spawn all the subhoods

You don't want to do it without the empty templates.

However, the magic lots automatically generate anyway-there's no way to avoid them. They're hidden lots, and not subject to any template shenanigans..

Thanks, I do have empty templates because I wanted to make my own vacation destinations
When do the magic lots generate? I have several hoods I created that have no lots at all...
Old Yesterday, 5:37 PM #9981
Sketching
Lab Assistant

If you can't/don't want to use empty templates, there's also Tarlia's method of disabling the stealth hoods. It's what simmers do if they want to create completely empty neighborhoods, especially if they want to share them.

My life is a series of incomprehensible sketches, illegible notes, and running away from angry lizards. I don't enjoy that last one.
Old Yesterday, 5:42 PM #9982
Zena-Dew-Drop
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketching
If you can't/don't want to use empty templates, there's also Tarlia's method of disabling the stealth hoods. It's what simmers do if they want to create completely empty neighborhoods, especially if they want to share them.

I think that is the method I used, and that must be why I have no magic lots.
Old Yesterday, 5:44 PM #9983
grammapat
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

This seems now to me mostly "the vomit" thread, so I won't keep talking about adoption. I've discovered lots of stuff about:
Squinge's "adopt teen", the Ogre non-adoption. Sim Blender, Sim Manipulator, Teleporter Cat
Don't know if I should start an Adoption thread, or if it's been done/updated, or if anyone cares

Namaste
Old Yesterday, 5:49 PM #9984
maxon
Now what dammit?

23 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena-Dew-Drop
Thanks, I do have empty templates because I wanted to make my own vacation destinations
When do the magic lots generate? I have several hoods I created that have no lots at all...

ON loading the hood for the first time - empty templates actually don't prevent the sub-hoods being added, it's just that what gets added is empty. With my Polgannon, I made that without sub-hoods. When you put it in your game, your game will add them all on first loading. Basically that's what happens - the game checks to see if they are there. If they are, it carries on loading, if they're not, it adds them.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM #9985
mdsb759
Scholar

loading order.
when game loads the Downloads folder; is it sub-folders first then files or files first then sub-folders? or is the order by keyboard character regardless of file or folder?
and similar with each level of sub-folder?
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM #9986
simsfreq
Alchemist

15 Achievements

I find disabling stealth hoods to be risky. If you open up your game accidentally with them enabled or somehow enable them accidentally you can wind up with them being added accidentally when you didn't want them to be. I even ended up with two copies of each in one of mine, which was weird.

It makes sense for creating hoods for download, because that's a very specific set of circumstances you'd probably be extra careful around and make several backups of the hood in various stages.

I see the empty stealth hoods as being like a "vaccination" against populated stealth hoods getting added.

BTW, you don't need empty templates for vacation hoods, uni hoods, downtowns or shopping districts, in order to add custom ones. When you go to add these, you always have the option of adding a totally custom one rather than one of the defaults. It's only the stealth (invisible) hoods; Weather, Magic, Hobbies and Pets, which need disabling in order to avoid the sim bin clones in every hood. Be aware that you probably actually want these subhoods for certain gameplay options; Weather adds the garden club NPCs, Magic adds the secret witch lots, Hobbies add the secret Hobby lots. Pets... I don't know if that adds anything. I think stray spawning is handled by another process. The "empty" versions do allow the special sims/lots to spawn and be accessed but disable the sim bin families.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools) Plus! TS2:UNI careers enabled for teens: Here at simbology

Section jump: